Elder Scrolls Online

Everlasting

Jun 5, 2010
Somwhere in time
Most MMOs come with 30 days free. And they aren't meant to be played once in a while as even casual play is a large time sink when it comes to the genre. For the most part they cost $40 as well. Even ****** MMOs are a blast to play the first few months they are out especially with a group so if you aren't getting $55 out of something that should be hundreds of hours of entertainment then you probably are playing the wrong genre of games.
It is not free if you have to pay 60 for it. If i can play it free for 30 days without paying anything, then fine.Then again, an average mmo like ESO just isnt good enough to warrant that money.

Commander Clueless

Hiya, hiya. Pleased to meetcha.
Sep 10, 2008
People want their cake and to eat it too when it comes to MMOs.

I'm not going to judge but if $15 a month is really something you have to second guess for something that can provide anywhere from an hour to 24 hours of enjoyment a day then you probably shouldn't be playing games in the first place or you are bad at managing money.

I usually have at least one MMO sub running a month just so I have $15 to pay off on a credit card each month for my credit score. It works out perfect.

The issue to me is not that $15 is some substantial amount of money that's going to make me miss my mortgage payments or something, but rather what you are getting for that $15. It builds up. And the question is, what exactly ARE you getting in comparison to non-subscription based multiplayer games?

The answer? Not much that I can think of.

15 month is one thing, but 60 + 15 a month is a whole other thing.

This is it exactly.

If you are paying $15 a month to play a game that is constantly updated for that money and you're having a ton of fun with? No problem!

But you had to pay full game price for the right to even start paying that subscription (minus $15 for the first "free" month), and then ANOTHER $30-$40 for the expansions while stll paying $15 a month for apparently maintenance costs?

What the hell is that?

ESO even makes you put a credit card down before you're even allowed to start playing the damn game that you ALREADY PAID FOR! So you need to have an automatically recurring subscription set up to even fire up the damn thing AFTER paying full game price (or even more if you actually want to spend most of your time playing instead of running, because you need the Collector's Edition for a mount that doesn't take forever to get)!

Listen, I had a ton of fun with World of Warcraft, but damn was it too expensive.

And the thing is, you have games like Guild Wars 2, which is one of the better crafted MMOs out there, and you don't have to pay $15 a month on top of game price. Some MMOs are completely free to play (some with really annoying micro-transactions, but those are totally optional).

To sort of round this back to the original thread topic, ESO is just not (in my personal opinion of course) a good enough game that can justify charging a monthly fee and including the mount paywall. Elder Scrolls is awesome, but this is not.

Last edited:

LickTheEnvelope

Time to Retool... again...
Dec 16, 2008
Vancouver
^^ I went back to GW2 a bit last month and was surprised how much has actually been updated (a whole city was partially destroyed!). I even bought some Gems as I felt arena net earned it for all the work.

Gooch

May 28, 2008
Coeur d'Alene Idaho
There might not be a subscription but I am skeptical that they'll pass up an ongoing revenue stream. I would guess that there will be some serious microtransactions to replace them.

Disgruntled Observer*

There might not be a subscription but I am skeptical that they'll pass up an ongoing revenue stream. I would guess that there will be some serious microtransactions to replace them.

Or maybe they'll follow the same path as Destiny.

Borderline mandatory DLC every 3 months.
I like this method. If you thoroughly enjoy the game, you'll buy the dlc and keep playing. If you're only sorta casually into the game, the game becomes unplayable, and you move on to something else.

Kurtz

Jul 17, 2005
Try Archeage. It's Korean, but not nearly as grindy as most Korean MMOS. It's also the most beautiful mmo I've played to date, and has lots of stuff to do.

PolishBingo

King Pierogie IV
Jan 9, 2006
been waiting to get this game cause i havnt had time to play.

Think im gonna wait for the ps4 version. is it worth it?

I haven't played it either. 2 separate clerks at Gamestop thought it was disappointing. Will likely rent it before I commit to buy.

Viggo Mortensen

Gandalf the Grey
Dec 14, 2008
Gondor
Console release tomorrow. Surprised no one is talking about it in here.

I feel like its going to be a bigger better Destiny and for fans of the ES world, it's exciting.

AKL

Danila Yurov Fan Club President
Sponsor
Dec 10, 2012

I feel like its going to be a bigger better Destiny and for fans of the ES world, it's exciting.

When I played it on the computer it was more like ES World meets WoW's social platform. Unless you meant something else with the Destiny comparison?

Viggo Mortensen

Gandalf the Grey
Dec 14, 2008
Gondor
When I played it on the computer it was more like ES World meets WoW's social platform. Unless you meant something else with the Destiny comparison?

Yeah, what I meant was that Destiny was supposed to be this big world, big story game that you could play with friends on a console. Not many MMOs out there on consoles, thats why I didnt compare to WoW in a ES World.

AKL

Danila Yurov Fan Club President
Sponsor
Dec 10, 2012
Yeah, what I meant was that Destiny was supposed to be this big world, big story game that you could play with friends on a console. Not many MMOs out there on consoles, thats why I didnt compare to WoW in a ES World.

yeah I guess it remains to be seen how big it'll be on the consoles, hopefully it's bigger than destiny because destiny is disappointingly small

Blueline Bomber

AI Generated Minnesota Wild
Sponsor
Oct 31, 2007

I'm a fan of the ES world, but I'll probably wait to get the game. Played the beta on the PC and simply couldn't get into it.

The Nuge

Some say…
Jan 26, 2011
British Columbia

Unfortunately, all my friends who are into the ES series bought it for PC. Now, I'm kinda torn about whether to even buy it, despite Skyrim and Oblivion being my all time favorite games

SwissGuy

Apr 13, 2015
I'm going to be playing tonight. Message me on here if anyone wants to play on ps4

The Nuge

Some say…
Jan 26, 2011
British Columbia
Picked it up, and of course it's got to update for the next 24 ****ing hours. I love my PS4, but it's ridiculous how long it takes to download/update games

sa cyred

Running Data Models
Sep 11, 2007
SJ
I'm going to be playing tonight. Message me on here if anyone wants to play on ps4

Ill be up for it if I can get in to login

Psn: Vaeyuv

Edit: the fixed worked luckily

Also I am in the Aldermi Dominion alliance.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad