Elder Scrolls Online

just22

Aug 2, 2009

Found this on reddit. Game sounds a lot more intriguing compared to when it was first announced. I wonder if it's going to be subscription based or a one time purchase with micro transactions.

Oscar Acosta

Mar 19, 2011
Never played an MMO before, don't like cooperating with others online. But I might give this a whirl.

Moskau

Jun 30, 2004
WNY
Been in beta for over a month. It's awful.

I've been in almost every beta for a major MMO in the last 8 or 9 years and this is one of the worst.

RobBrown4PM

Pringles?
Oct 12, 2009
I love TES, but I'm staying far away from this bastardization of the series.

In the video the op posted, the narrator is quite literally describing WoW, but wrapped in Tamriel clothing. Zenimex could have done something unique, and wonderful, instead it seems they have decided to do what SWTOR did, and copy WoW, keystroke for keystroke.

Moskau

Jun 30, 2004
WNY
I love TES, but I'm staying far away from this bastardization of the series.

In the video the op posted, the narrator is quite literally describing WoW, but wrapped in Tamriel clothing. Zenimex could have done something unique, and wonderful, instead it seems they have decided to do what SWTOR did, and copy WoW, keystroke for keystroke.
It plays nothing like WoW in all honesty. The combat is actually how TES games should have been and not the terrible combat that has plagued that franchise forever. The problem is that it (the combat) is incredibly slow paced and especially for an MMO.

Grave

Mondo Cool
Jun 23, 2009
Northern California
"I LOVE TES SINCE OBLIVION"

:laugh:

Game PvP actually looks interesting its been a long time since a game has released an impressive PvP system. With the lackluster PvP in GW2 I'm hoping that they can do sieges and battles the correct way.

parabola

BOlieve dat
Jul 8, 2004
ಠ_ಠ
Looks very generic. Not really sure why one plays this over Rift or WoW or any of the other very decent MMORPGs out there already.

Telos

In Gavrikov We Must Trust
Aug 16, 2008
Reno, NV
Probably going to stick with SWTOR. Played a bit of my friend's beta and it was pretty underwhelming. Dunno what got into their heads when they thought Elder Scrolls should be a MMO. It's one of the richest single player franchises of all time.

Everlasting

Jun 5, 2010
Somwhere in time
Looks really bad and generic. On top of that, everything is scaled down so it looks just like every other mmo. Was hoping for it to look just like TES normally does when you play it, but now it looks just like every other mmo. Boring and generic.

Lets hope that they have atleast fixed the magic.

Clown Fiesta

Aug 15, 2005
Montana
Been in beta for over a month. It's awful.

I've been in almost every beta for a major MMO in the last 8 or 9 years and this is one of the worst.

Seems the first invites they sent were 7/3/13 so you must have been playing a very early build.

Just got an invite, anyone else? I'll try it this weekend, I have no expectations and don't really even enjoy MMO's anymore but my buddy also got an invite so we'll test it out.

Clown Fiesta

Aug 15, 2005
Montana
I've been in the beta though I don't want to kill my interest of the game by playing it non stop.

I'll play a bit and if it seems guys I'll make sure to be around for the updates and new features. I really doubt I'll play after release unless it blows me away.

LickTheEnvelope

Time to Retool... again...
Dec 16, 2008
Vancouver
60 bucks then 15 a month on top of that, I can't see it doing very well on consoles.

Really stupid business model, $60 + $15/month + Microtransactions.

Games that do that typically go FTP within 6-10 months these days.

Personally I just don't have the time for 1 game to ever make a sub service worth it. I like Guild Wars 2 but after a couple months I only drop back in every 2 months or so for a few hours, just don't have the time and this launch looks particularily lacklustre after the new Everquest announcement...

Moskau

Jun 30, 2004
WNY
Seems the first invites they sent were 7/3/13 so you must have been playing a very early build.

Just got an invite, anyone else? I'll try it this weekend, I have no expectations and don't really even enjoy MMO's anymore but my buddy also got an invite so we'll test it out.
Ive been in it since F&F alpha. Haven't even bothered to check it out in almost a month. The game just has no character at all. But then again other than Morrowind and Shivering Isles I have hated everything Elder Scrolls related.

LickTheEnvelope

Time to Retool... again...
Dec 16, 2008
Vancouver
Ive been in it since F&F alpha. Haven't even bothered to check it out in almost a month. The game just has no character at all. But then again other than Morrowind and Shivering Isles I have hated everything Elder Scrolls related.

Daggerfall is good (my favourite actually).

I also like Oblivion and Skyrim... but not to the same level.

But I am a big Bethesda fan. I have no problems with a buggy game when a company is shooting for the moon in what is possible in open-world.

parabola

BOlieve dat
Jul 8, 2004
ಠ_ಠ
I played it at PAX. Plays like Elder Scrolls for the most part so I'm slightly happier than I originally was. Still not sure how good it'll be though.

Grave

Mondo Cool
Jun 23, 2009
Northern California
The only issue I really have with the game is the fact that they are doing microtransactions and the monthly fee. Unless the microtransactions are just utility stuff like wow, that's some greedy turbine type of business model.

Corto

Faceless Man
Sep 28, 2005
Braavos
The only issue I really have with the game is the fact that they are doing microtransactions and the monthly fee. Unless the microtransactions are just utility stuff like wow, that's some greedy turbine type of business model.

Barely any games (and no big titles) go for anything other than fluff/commodity items on their microtransactions.
I wouldn't worry about that.

I do worry about the lack of end-game content and serious, challenging combat that seems sort of impossible with the ES style of combat.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad