Elden Ring - February 2022 (PC, PS4, PS5, XBOX ONE, XBOX SERIES S/X)

Tw1ster

Mar 12, 2008
West Coast
Dont do magic damage, and increase your magic defense. I ran into this issue with the final boss. I did only holy damage and the final boss takes no holy damage. Luckily theres a lot of faith weapons that do fire damage I could upgrade. Not familiar with the intelligence weapons but there should be some out there with a different damage type.
Thanks a lot. I ended up doing a respec so I could wield the Moonveil Katana along with casting rock sling and ended up beating him in a couple tries. Cool looking fight!

x Tame Impala

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 24, 2011
Uh oh I’m hitting a wall. I have 5 of 7 great runes, 4 bosses left, and just made it to Commander Niall up in the Giant Mountaintops. Having a tough time with him and I think I need to level up more (lvl 107 now) to beat him.

But I think I’ve found most of the areas on the map and have experienced the bulk of the game by now. I only have one greyed out area on the map left (to the left of the mountains up north), I’ve found 3 underground areas, and I think I screwed up Ranni’s quest line so I can’t do it anymore.

So now it feels like I’ve just got to farm runes if I want to level up and that’s boring AF.

My biggest issue right now is that I have no idea what to do with my build. It's all over the place.
Choose 4 attributes and one play style to stick with. If you’re a melee build focus on Vigor, Endurance, Strength, and Dexterity. If you’re going for magic then focus on the other ones + Vigor. Trying to balance your attributes makes you strong in nothing and weak in everything.

Reactions: MAHJ71

aleshemsky83

Apr 8, 2008
It's nearly impossible to screw up rannis questline, nobody in her questline can be killed, if you aggro them just use celestial dew.

As for Niall, I beat him relatively easy but I used mimic tear.

Reactions: x Tame Impala

Andrei79

Jan 25, 2013
My biggest issue right now is that I have no idea what to do with my build. It's all over the place.
Focus on Vigor and Endurance, though endurance doesn't have to be that high, put points into it only if you feel you don't have enough during fights.. This is basically true of every Souls game. Then, choose your main skill. You can choose a second skill afterwards.

pistolpete11

Apr 27, 2013
Uh oh I’m hitting a wall. I have 5 of 7 great runes, 4 bosses left, and just made it to Commander Niall up in the Giant Mountaintops. Having a tough time with him and I think I need to level up more (lvl 107 now) to beat him.

But I think I’ve found most of the areas on the map and have experienced the bulk of the game by now. I only have one greyed out area on the map left (to the left of the mountains up north), I’ve found 3 underground areas, and I think I screwed up Ranni’s quest line so I can’t do it anymore.

So now it feels like I’ve just got to farm runes if I want to level up and that’s boring AF.
You don't have any Golden Runes to use? Level up your weapon? Level up your summon?

For Commander Niall, just use a summon if you're not already. I don't like using them, but with how often FromSoft tries to tag team you in Elden Ring, f*** it. I also saw online that there is some sort of item you can use on his minions. It causes them to start attacking Niall. Gives you time to focus on the other minion. Once you get down to just him, a 1-on-1 battle is pretty easy. You just can't be greedy. Get your whack or 2 in and then back off.

I'm not sure what's west of the Mountaintops. Mt. Gelmir?

Last edited:

pistolpete11

Apr 27, 2013
Picked up the platinum today.

It was pretty easy...maybe too easy...but it was kind of annoying. I had to a) get back to the capital and b) redo Fia's questline. There was a lot of going back and fourth to get the key items to unlock certain stuff.

I don't think they scaled the bosses enough. Smashed right through everything. I couldn't even spend my runes because you have to die and then go to certain sites of grace to unlock leveling up...even in NG+. I was walking around with 1million+ runes. Fun fact, if you have over 1million runes on you, you start to sparkle gold.

aleshemsky83

Apr 8, 2008
Is a tank build at a viable?
not on the broken level of Dark Souls 1, but a faith build can get defense pretty damn high, and the fingerprint shield+Greatshield Talisman is completely broken. Before the patch it was literally broken, as in zero stamina loss when blocking and an unbreakable block. Now its only totally braindead broken with extremely small stamina loss.

Harbinger

sing for absolution
Mar 8, 2008
Edmonton
not on the broken level of Dark Souls 1, but a faith build can get defense pretty damn high, and the fingerprint shield+Greatshield Talisman is completely broken. Before the patch it was literally broken, as in zero stamina loss when blocking and an unbreakable block. Now its only totally braindead broken with extremely small stamina loss.
What should my stats look like to properly utilize this build?

aleshemsky83

Apr 8, 2008
What should my stats look like to properly utilize this build?
You need enough strength to equip the fingerprint shield (I think its 48) and the greatshield talisman (easily accessible on altus plateau). You also need to upgrade the shield to +25. If you're already at the capital you dont even need to kill anyone to obtain these two items, just google their location.

Edit: as for the faith tank build, you just need 25 faith for golden vow, plus one other defensive buff (golden vow stacks with like everything), black flames protection is the best buff but it's endgame, plus you need to befriend Boggart if you want to get the boiled prawns (which also stack with pretty much everything). Those 3 buffs plus radahns set (or higher poise gear) will help you tank a lot.

For magic and holy damage, barrier of gold and lords divine fortification are insanely powerful on their own, but they're close to endgame incantations. You wont even need golden vow for them, they make it so magic damage and holy damage do pretty much nothing.

Last edited:

Rodgerwilco

Entertainment boards w/ some Hockey mixed in.
Feb 6, 2014
Yeah it’s all uncomfortable. Everything is dangerous. Everything can and will kill you. You start out as a little mouse and have to learn to get better and better until you are strong enough to take down bosses you thought would be impossible.

It’s beautiful. Just buy the game and play it for 2 weeks. Give it an honest try and you’ll be rewarded dude. I hated Soul’s games before this. I thought they were hard for the sake of being hard and no fun. I was wrong! One of the best gaming experiences of my life.
I did end up actually getting this game after reading here and watching a stream of it. Created my character and got through the introductory part of the game, looking forward to getting more into it between Batman and Runescape.

x Tame Impala

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 24, 2011
I did end up actually getting this game after reading here and watching a stream of it. Created my character and got through the introductory part of the game, looking forward to getting more into it between Batman and Runescape.
Hell yeah dude! Stick with it

Reactions: Rodgerwilco

pistolpete11

Apr 27, 2013
Definitely got some post-FromSoft gaming depression going on. Played a little Curse of the Dead Gods. A little FIFA. Decided to wait for the Witcher 3 upgrade. Nothing really tickles my fancy in comparison and I'm not going to buy anything before the new PS+ launches because I know there's a handful of games that I want to try on there first.

The Mars Volchenkov

Mar 31, 2002
Colorado
Definitely got some post-FromSoft gaming depression going on. Played a little Curse of the Dead Gods. A little FIFA. Decided to wait for the Witcher 3 upgrade. Nothing really tickles my fancy in comparison and I'm not going to buy anything before the new PS+ launches because I know there's a handful of games that I want to try on there first.
That’s where I have been at. Tunic is the only thing that held my interest, partly because its difficult like ER.

Andrei79

Jan 25, 2013
Game was excellent. Probably a 9/10 and one of the best open world games I've played. But, I've had more fun playing Hollow Knight, Sekiro and Dark Souls 3 this year. Probably Bloodborne too. I was wondering why lately and I think I figured it out.

The repetitiveness isn't the same as those games. It's not there to learn patterns or best through a hurdle. It's not designed to test where you're at gameplay wise or to teach you. It's just there as filler. There were too many recycled bosses, ennemies and areas (how many swamps does a game really need?). There were too many cheap bosses, that aren't hard because you need to learn the patterns, but because they tag team you, have one shot kills, unlucky RNG or all of the above. Pacing is also so important in a game and I found ER to have issues there. Its similar to a well edited movie and it's harder for a soulsborne game to properly do well without the linearity that previous souls games had. Instead, you can go 10-20 hours without a major boss, yet finish the game fighting 5 of them within the span of 2-3 hours, which was ridiculous. It's a Fromsoft game that had more flaws than their last 3 titles and more in line with what we saw from the early demons/dark souls, great games but with issues. I don't think it's the open world design either as I'm currently having a blast with the slow paced Kingdom Come Deliverance. Also, it pains me to say but the NPC quests were mostly garbage to the point of being annoying. This isn't FS' strong suit, but usually you'll have some epic lore behind some awesome character or three. Here though, forgettable, tedious and impossible to do without a guide.

So, the game was too big and they should have cut down on a lot of content, which ended up only being repetitive filler. That said, were not in Ubisoft territory here, this is all relative to other Fromsoft games.

As far as the positives, there are a ton. The world, art direction, combat, boss designs are all magnificent. At full price, this easily beats whatever trash other AAA companies are vomitting on the market for the last few years. It's an easy recommend and the only reasons my negatives paragraph was longer are because I enjoyed their previous titles more and because I saw a ton of 10/10 reviews, which I feel are not warranted.

Last edited:

Frankie Blueberries

Allergic to draft picks
Jan 27, 2016
I was enjoying the game but got pretty fatigued around the 55 hour mark and have taken a break for a month or so. I’ve basically explored the entire west side of the map (along with most of the underground areas) but assume I’m still only like half way done the base storyline. It’s fine but feels a bit repetitive.

Soldier13Fox

jävlar anamma (f'ing embrace, get with it)
Sponsor
Oct 8, 2013
Coon Rapids
I finally feel like I've played enough to comment. I'm a huge Souls fan. Darks souls (yes even 2 ... in fact 2 holds a special place for me), demons in both ps3 and remastered, bloodborne, and Sekiro are all in my top 15 or so. I love the games From has given us. I'm 90+ hours in with Elden Ring on my main character, probably another 20 spread out on others toons, and am at Valcano Manor / Altus Plains and I am just weary. Personally, I've never been a huge fan of the open world formula. I'm too OCD and have a bit of FOMO. I appreciate that others love that game, but it's not for me. I would appreciate a more tightly scripted adventure the next go 'round.

Beau Knows

Mar 4, 2013
Canada
I finally feel like I've played enough to comment. I'm a huge Souls fan. Darks souls (yes even 2 ... in fact 2 holds a special place for me), demons in both ps3 and remastered, bloodborne, and Sekiro are all in my top 15 or so. I love the games From has given us. I'm 90+ hours in with Elden Ring on my main character, probably another 20 spread out on others toons, and am at Valcano Manor / Altus Plains and I am just weary. Personally, I've never been a huge fan of the open world formula. I'm too OCD and have a bit of FOMO. I appreciate that others love that game, but it's not for me. I would appreciate a more tightly scripted adventure the next go 'round.

I'm at about the same point in the game as you are. I'm okay with the fact that it'll still take me probably a couple more months at least to beat the game. I'm having a great time with it and haven't been rushing. I'd definitely have grown tired of it if I played it non-stop until I beat it, the game is just too long for that, I've put it down for weeks at a time.

I am curious to see how the game holds up for me in subsequent playthroughs. I've played through Dark Souls 1 so many times because it can be done quickly, there's little filler and you can quickly put together different builds. Elden Ring expects you to spend a lot of time exploring to find decent gear and to level up many times before you face certain bosses.

ArGarBarGar

What do we want!? Unfair!
Sep 8, 2008
I haven't even found the turtle pope, yet. Right now I just want to get a somber smithing stone (5) to level up my Cipher Pata.

Sep 19, 2008
This game is pretty stressful. Rage quit again after losing repeatedly to the falling star bull.

I'm 112.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad