Elden Ring - February 2022 (PC, PS4, PS5, XBOX ONE, XBOX SERIES S/X)

syz

[1, 5, 6, 14]
Jul 13, 2007
The start of Sekiro is definitely the hardest. Can't grind levels, only way to make the game easier is to get more heals/HP and the only way to do that is to beat bosses. It's definitely the most "get good" part of any From game early on, though like the rest it gets easier as you go.

The main thing that stuck out with Elden Ring is the amount of late game bosses that almost just didn't care how much HP you had.

Reactions: pistolpete11

PeteWorrell

[...]
Aug 31, 2006
Sekiro is harder because the game forces you to play a certain way and thus you have to properly learn the game mechanics if you want to get anywhere.

You can excel in games like Dark Souls and Bloodborne even if you never learn to parry. You will get shreded in Sekiro if you can't deflect.

The final boss in Sekiro is actually the strongest enemy in the game and forces you to apply everything you learned if you want to win unlike many of the other games.

pistolpete11

Apr 27, 2013
The start of Sekiro is definitely the hardest. Can't grind levels, only way to make the game easier is to get more heals/HP and the only way to do that is to beat bosses. It's definitely the most "get good" part of any From game early on, though like the rest it gets easier as you go.

The main thing that stuck out with Elden Ring is the amount of late game bosses that almost just didn't care how much HP you had.
It gets easier as you go, but there are still some really tough bosses late game. The Sword Saint, the Demon of Hatred, and Owl Father are just as tough as some of the early game bosses even though you're much better at the game by that point.

Not grinding levels is why Sekiro is my favorite and one of my biggest gripes with Elden Ring. You can get overleveled without even realizing it in Elden Ring. You can grind levels in the other games if you want, but you usually know you're doing it.

Agreed about the late game bosses in Elden Ring.

Sekiro is harder because the game forces you to play a certain way and thus you have to properly learn the game mechanics if you want to get anywhere.

You can excel in games like Dark Souls and Bloodborne even if you never learn to parry. You will get shreded in Sekiro if you can't deflect.

The final boss in Sekiro is actually the strongest enemy in the game and forces you to apply everything you learned if you want to win unlike many of the other games.
Another reason why Sekiro is my favorite. The bosses can be constructed around the same mechanics from the player. Don't have to worry about whether its a sufficient challenge for melee players and magic players.

I'm sure somebody has done it, but yeah, for normal people it's impossible to beat Sekiro without learning to deflect. But you can cancel out of attacks with the parry and the window is pretty generous IMO. Unless you give Kuro his charm in NG+ which makes you take chip damage unless you perfect parry. That shit is for masochists :laugh:

Sep 19, 2008
I looked over the trailer yesterday on my ps5 and I'd be lying if I said I wasn't excited. But again, hard game, too much stress on my mental health dying all the time, will probably play this but not immediately. I can't have that anger back in my life :laugh:

Sad People

Jun 4, 2021
I looked over the trailer yesterday on my ps5 and I'd be lying if I said I wasn't excited. But again, hard game, too much stress on my mental health dying all the time, will probably play this but not immediately. I can't have that anger back in my life :laugh:
It was my first FromSoft game and i honestly didnt have that hard of a time playing it. I also used a M&K during my play through as well which isnt advised the slightest. Now that doesnt mean there were bosses i got stuck on for a bit but it wasnt overwhelmingly frustrating playing. If you explore a ton especially in the starting area and the peninsula to the south of the starting area get a bit overleveled for that area, use summons its not that hard of a game. Take your time, explore everytrhing you should be fine. Just my .02. My first play though i spent like 120+ hours in it.

I would recommend anyone play this game. My 2nd or 3rd best game ive ever played. Genuine masterpiece and an incredible gaming experinece.

syz

[1, 5, 6, 14]
Jul 13, 2007
Some points from a Famitsu interview Miyazaki did:

New region, takes place in the same time as the main game (so not getting warped back to the past or something). Will need to have defeated Mohg and Radahn to access it.

Considers it their biggest DLC ever.

The new area has a "unique leveling system" he compares to Sekiro that will only be active when you're there.

8 new weapon types as well as new spells/weapons for existing types. Also specifically mentions monks and martial arts.

No further content is planned for the main game but says it doesn't mean that Elden Ring is "over." (aka maybe a sequel eventually; but he also points out he said the same thing after Dark Souls 3).

As usual with From DLC I don't think I have any saves that would be able to access the new stuff right away so I'll probably have to replay my way there. You'd think I would have learned by now.

pistolpete11

Apr 27, 2013
Some points from a Famitsu interview Miyazaki did:

As usual with From DLC I don't think I have any saves that would be able to access the new stuff right away so I'll probably have to replay my way there. You'd think I would have learned by now.
I love to hear the leveling system. Doing it the way Sekiro did would eliminate my biggest issue with Elden Ring. Don't exactly understand how it will work with existing characters, though. Like your attack power is capped at a certain level in the new area until you find whatever items to upgrade it?

I don't know if it makes business sense, but I hope this is it for Elden Ring. Not in a bad way. I just want their next 3D action-RPG game to do something new. Like Bloodborne and Sekiro did.

x Tame Impala

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 24, 2011
I love to hear the leveling system. Doing it the way Sekiro did would eliminate my biggest issue with Elden Ring. Don't exactly understand how it will work with existing characters, though. Like your attack power is capped at a certain level in the new area until you find whatever items to upgrade it?

I don't know if it makes business sense, but I hope this is it for Elden Ring. Not in a bad way. I just want their next 3D action-RPG game to do something new. Like Bloodborne and Sekiro did.
I wonder if they saw what Nintendo did with the new Zelda series being capped at 2 games and felt the same way. That they’ve exhausted what they could from this world and want to do something new. Elden Ring is my first and only FS game but I wouldn’t mind them doing something new after an apparently extensive DLC.

syz

[1, 5, 6, 14]
Jul 13, 2007
It seems that way; the way he describes it makes it seem like the separate system is there so that fully leveled existing characters don't just faceroll everything.

pistolpete11

Apr 27, 2013
I wonder if they saw what Nintendo did with the new Zelda series being capped at 2 games and felt the same way. That they’ve exhausted what they could from this world and want to do something new. Elden Ring is my first and only FS game but I wouldn’t mind them doing something new after an apparently extensive DLC.
God of War reboot capped it at 2 games, too. I don't know. FromSoft has gone both ways. They have the Souls series and Armored Core series, but Bloodborne and Sekrio were standalone. So far, they've not given in to the calls for sequels on those. I think Sony owns Bloodborne, so it's not entirely up to them, but Sony would be crazy to not greenlight Bloodborne 2 if that's what FromSoft wanted.

I played Elden Ring after Bloodborne and Sekiro, but since I've played Demon's Souls, Dark Souls 3, and most of Dark Souls 1. I still love all of them, but you begin to see that they reused a lot ideas throughout. Bloodborne reused some stuff, too, but aesthetically and gameplay-wise it's different enough IMO. I didn't know it at the time, but Elden Ring is a very refined, open world Dark Souls 4. Different world and lore and whatnot, but it's still knights&armor, dragons, skeletons, etc. I just know after the DLC, I'll be ready for something entirely new and not just another iteration.

x Tame Impala

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 24, 2011

This seems like an intelligent approach to the DLC since presumably there will be a lot of players at level 150 or much higher. I was curious as to how that'd work out because I'm a level 260 or something with basically all the weapons and spells so it wouldn't be very fun if I can come through and Darth Vader everyone in this DLC area.

I've only played a little bit of Sekiro, will probably get to it after RDR2, but I'm happy with this DLC approach.

pistolpete11

Apr 27, 2013
I booted up my save file. I forgot I went into NG+ to pick up a few things I needed for the platinum.

I'm level 149 and walking around with like 500k runes. I don't know what I should do with them. I really wish we got a little more clarity on what an appropriate level would be for the DLC or if it really doesn't matter with this new leveling system.

Level 149 is probably even a bit high for NG, but would it be alright for the DLC?

x Tame Impala

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 24, 2011
I booted up my save file. I forgot I went into NG+ to pick up a few things I needed for the platinum.

I'm level 149 and walking around with like 500k runes. I don't know what I should do with them. I really wish we got a little more clarity on what an appropriate level would be for the DLC or if it really doesn't matter with this new leveling system.

Level 149 is probably even a bit high for NG, but would it be alright for the DLC?
I don’t think it’s going to matter. You’re just going to have to have beaten Mohg and Radahn to access the DLC. Sounds like everything stars over as soon as you touch Miquella’s hand IMHO

pistolpete11

Apr 27, 2013
I don’t think it’s going to matter. You’re just going to have to have beaten Mohg and Radahn to access the DLC. Sounds like everything stars over as soon as you touch Miquella’s hand IMHO
Yelp, hopefully the NG+ cycle starts over too then :laugh:

I only leveled up to 149 to beat Melania and if past FromSoft DLC's are any indication, the DLC bosses are going to be a similar or even hard difficulty. Don't know that I can handle it on NG+ with a new baseline character level.

x Tame Impala

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 24, 2011
Yelp, hopefully the NG+ cycle starts over too then :laugh:

I only leveled up to 149 to beat Melania and if past FromSoft DLC's are any indication, the DLC bosses are going to be a similar or even hard difficulty. Don't know that I can handle it on NG+ with a new baseline character level.
Go spend a couple hours slaughtering albinauracs and get those numbers up!

pistolpete11

Apr 27, 2013
Go spend a couple hours slaughtering albinauracs and get those numbers up!
I have quite a few runes in hand and a lot rune items I could use to get a few more levels right now, but I also don't want to over level :laugh:. This is my predicament and why some clarification would be nice.

Another idea they could have taken from Sekiro, the 'coin purse'. Basically you buy items that hold your currency for a 10% tax, but you don't lose when you die.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Toulouse vs Montpellier
    Toulouse vs Montpellier
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $246.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Hoffenheim vs RB Leipzig
    Hoffenheim vs RB Leipzig
    Wagers: 5
    Staked: $8,851.00