Confirmed with Link: Eichel + 3rd (23) to VGK for, Tuch, Krebs, 1st (22) 2nd(23)

willy702

Jul 3, 2016
Even if they get everyone out there minus maybe a small piece I'm losing faith that this is a contender this year. Eichel might make a difference in a year's time but the roster construction and coaching just feel so mismatched. I get the strategy, go get the best star players possible, but man all the other pieces just not fitting together. If guys are held out until the playoffs for cap reasons that feels like a recipe for disaster.

Super Cake

Jun 24, 2013
Even if they get everyone out there minus maybe a small piece I'm losing faith that this is a contender this year. Eichel might make a difference in a year's time but the roster construction and coaching just feel so mismatched. I get the strategy, go get the best star players possible, but man all the other pieces just not fitting together. If guys are held out until the playoffs for cap reasons that feels like a recipe for disaster.

This team has the pieces for a contender. #1 defender: Petro and #1 center: Eichel (if healthy).

The problem is their team defense and i absolutely don't think Lehner is a goalie capable of leading this team to a cup.

While Lehner does make some big saves, he also seems to let in some softies every game.

azvgk

Nov 29, 2019
This team has the pieces for a contender. #1 defender: Petro and #1 center: Eichel (if healthy).

The problem is their team defense and i absolutely don't think Lehner is a goalie capable of leading this team to a cup.

While Lehner does make some big saves, he also seems to let in some softies every game.

I think it's a crapshoot whether we can win. If our roster is healthy and plays to form, we're probably talking the best top 3 lines in the league, and the defense has the tools, if not the structure. I don't think we have the goaltending - I watch the posts of other teams (since we don't have enough posters here - and almost every one without exception says basically, watch out for VGK, but I don't think they can win with Lehner. I gotta agree. For instance: last night he made saves in OT to allow Theo to score later on. But we never would have been in the position if he wasn't badly out of position on two of the Canadians goals.

willy702

Jul 3, 2016

Some good pieces around, but the league is stacked with better teams that are good top to bottom with guys who are all playing together during the season. I think the offseason with these pieces in place is when they can address a lot of shortcomings and permanently promote what they can to make the cap work without gymnastics. Plus getting Eichel integrated into his line and team probably is more completely accomplished over the summer.

Teams can get hot and put it all together at the right time, but I just don't get that feeling this team is going to do it. They have a chance like many teams have a chance, but just not feeling it watching them so far and knowing how guys have been coming and going so much.

CupInSIX

My cap runneth over
Jul 1, 2012
Alphaville
I have more faith in Lehner not choking than I did in Fleury, though that's not saying much. Still, adding Pietrangelo + Eichel in the past few years is 2 steps forward, with Lehner taking 1 step back (albeit it's a BIG step).

At the very least you can expect some kind of change to the goaltending this year if it doesn't improve, no matter what the cost.

Reactions: Haguerbomb

The Duck Knight

Henry, you're our only hope!
Feb 6, 2012
I have more faith in Lehner not choking than I did in Fleury, though that's not saying much. Still, adding Pietrangelo + Eichel in the past few years is 2 steps forward, with Lehner taking 1 step back (albeit it's a BIG step).

At the very least you can expect some kind of change to the goaltending this year if it doesn't improve, no matter what the cost.

Yeah this whole we can't win a Cup narrative against Lehner is pretty ironic considering all these people saying that probably think we could win with Fleury. Fleury has a long list of playoff collapses and hasn't won a Cup as a starter since 2009. FTR I think all you need is above average goaltending to win. It doesn't need to be elite. Most starters in the NHL are capable of that kind of play for a month or two. Just needs to come at the right time. Lehner from the the first 20 games of the season was more than good enough to win with, as was Lehner in the past two playoff runs. Fleury was also more than good enough to win with most of the time, but he had some EPIC collapses.

To your second point I agree this year is big for Lehner. I could see a world where if Lehner clearly falters they just move him for the cap relief and roll with Thompson next year. I don't think Lehner will be the reason we lose though. If we flame out in the playoffs again it will be because we once again can't score enough because we don't get bodies to the crease.

Last edited:

azvgk

Nov 29, 2019
Yeah this whole we can't win a Cup narrative against Lehner is pretty ironic considering all these people saying that probably think we could win with Fleury. Fleury has a long list of playoff collapses and hasn't won a Cup as a starter since 2009. FTR I think all you need is above average goaltending to win. It doesn't need to be elite. Most starters in the NHL are capable of that kind of play for a month or two. Just needs to come at the right time. Lehner from the the first 20 games of the season was more than good enough to win with, as was Lehner in the past two playoff runs. Fleury was also more than good enough to win with most of the time, but he had some EPIC collapses.

To your second point I agree this year is big for Lehner. I could see a world where if Lehner clearly falters they just move him for the cap relief and roll with Thompson next year. I don't think Lehner will be the reason we lose though. If we flame out in the playoffs again it will be because we once again can't score enough because we don't get bodies to the crease.

I agree you don't need elite goaltending, though my problem is that Lehner is below average, not above. Frankly, I wish they'd play a few games with Thompson and see if he's ready - barring a collapse we're playoff bound as the Pacific seems to be reverting to form as by far the weakest division. And yes Fleury has had a few epic lapses, he's also stolen a lot of games, which Lehner likely won't do.

To your point about not scoring in the playoffs, I think that is largely due to the PDB style of constantly just throwing the puck around the boards and behind the net (until scrubs like Koleslaw fumble it) and refusing to get into the scoring zones. Assuming Eichel, Patches, Stone, Stephenson and the misfits, we have plenty of guys able to score if we take the handcuffs off. And plenty of talent on the back end too - at least part of our defensive problems are due to teams not having to worry about our third or fourth lines scoring, which health will remedy.

Super Cake

Jun 24, 2013
This upcoming 4 game road trip is a blood bath. Caps, Canes, Panthers and Lightning.

CupInSIX

My cap runneth over
Jul 1, 2012
Alphaville
Smith rumors picking up.

If they actually move Smith, they better get a 1st or an equivalent prospect (Kravtsov +) back. Stephenson slots in perfectly on the Misfits line, but what a blow to their forward depth that would be...

IceNeophyte

Nov 14, 2017
If they actually move Smith, they better get a 1st or an equivalent prospect (Kravtsov +) back. Stephenson slots in perfectly on the Misfits line, but what a blow to their forward depth that would be...
You dont get a first when the whole league knows you are desperate to shed cap. They will give him away.

Haguerbomb

HOCKEY BELONGS IN THE DESERT
Oct 5, 2019

Smith is in covid protocol so we will see how the team performs while he's gone. But losing him would be extremely detrimental because he is proven playoff performer.

Eichel in a baby blue "light contact" jersey??

Still no contact.

Kranix

Deranged Homer
Jun 27, 2012
Smith is in covid protocol so we will see how the team performs while he's gone. But losing him would be extremely detrimental because he is proven playoff performer.

Still no contact.

Goes to show you can't trust blogs. One Vegas blog said the sky blue was light contact

Kranix

Deranged Homer
Jun 27, 2012

Still no contact.

If he's no contact, why change the jersey color? Just curious

willy702

Jul 3, 2016
Tuch a PPG player with Sabres so far, Krebs starting to produce too. Not saying its a bad trade, but Eichel better set the world on fire in Vegas to make this a real winning deal.

IceNeophyte

Nov 14, 2017
Tuch a PPG player with Sabres so far, Krebs starting to produce too. Not saying its a bad trade, but Eichel better set the world on fire in Vegas to make this a real winning deal.
Not super fair because Tuch wasn't going to see a top six role for a long time here.

Reactions: Haguerbomb

azvgk

Nov 29, 2019

Always a Tuch fan, but if Eichel is Eichel, this trade is a steal for VGK.

CupInSIX

My cap runneth over
Jul 1, 2012
Alphaville

Tuch is the next Blake Wheeler, and Krebs will be their captain some day. But this trade being a win was always contingent on Eichel being healthy on at least one run to a Cup, no matter how well the Sabres' assets do.

Not super fair because Tuch wasn't going to see a top six role for a long time here.

He would have fit in nicely on the misfits line feeding Marchy all game long. Although stylistically Stephenson can easily replace Smith if/when he leaves.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad