Friedman: Edmonton was close to a "big" trade on Wedneday involving a goalie.

Status
Not open for further replies.

miscs75

Jul 2, 2014
Apparently Holland has phoned Tommy Salo more than once but the line was busy.
Salo, Koskinen, Nilsson. What a lineage of former Islanders goalies for Edmonton to acquire. I wonder if Christoper Gibson will be next.

Reactions: yzerman

2CHAINZ

Feb 27, 2008
Difference being we didn't benefit from it.
Well, actually, we did benefit from it in 2020. Imagine where we would be if we drafted 1st overall instead of 3rd. The lottery actually made us pick the best player in the draft, which we likely would not have taken at 1 or 2.

Fixed to Ruin

Come wit it now!
Feb 28, 2007
Grande Prairie, AB
How is that brutal? I see two power house teams in Carolina and Vegas. The rest are winnable games for the Oil. I say this as as die hard Jets fan.

Being a little dramatic here. There is no way that schedule is "absolutely brutal"

Just because they play VGK once doesn't make it brutal. Seattle twice, NYI is a mess right now, and ANA is still ANA albeit improved from last year.

You make it sound like they have 2x LAK 2x VGK NYR and VAN

Historically speaking, the Oilers even when they are playing well struggle for whatever reason on that Florida road trip. The Oilers also struggle in afternoon games and that Washington game is exactly that.

However, i have to stress this point, the Oilers can't go .500 anymore. They need to win the large majority of these games and they can't give loser points to teams they are chasing either (e.g Seattle, Anaheim)

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
However, i have to stress this point, the Oilers can't go .500 anymore. They need to win the large majority of these games and they can't give loser points to teams they are chasing either (e.g Seattle, Anaheim)
Every H2H vs a team ahead of them, EDM has to win in regulation. And hope that very few games between teams ahead of them end up in 3 point games.

That's the difficult part of being behind is that there is no set # of points in a season. Like 1260 games would be 2520 points total. It can be 2600 or 2645 points.

Reactions: Fixed to Ruin

Aqualung

Nov 16, 2007
Having watched them in three of the games against the Canucks— goaltending is a start but it won’t be enough. There’s a problem with their defensive play as a team. Need a coach and system that will deploy better accountability. I bet you another coach could get more out of this forward and defensive group— the players on this team should play better if they play within their limits.

Lockin17

Jul 31, 2018
Kindda crazy having 2 of the top players in the NHL and being at the same level then the Sharks .

Czechboy

Češi do toho!
Apr 15, 2018
The issue with this, is that they likely won't be able to find cap space to do both.

It's probably not an awful idea to package Bouchard and a 1st with Campbell. It's finding a team with an available goalie who is ok buying out Campbell later that is the issue.

Get Nashville on the phone and see what could be done with Bouchard. Campbell and futures for Saros and Barrie.

Of the 3, Philly might be out as they already have a massive goalie salary buried in Cal Petersen. Not sure if the available goalies from MTL or DET would make much difference.
The capspace and assets to acquire a Dman or goalie will be similar. I'm saying Dman first.

Fixed to Ruin

Come wit it now!
Feb 28, 2007
Grande Prairie, AB
Every H2H vs a team ahead of them, EDM has to win in regulation. And hope that very few games between teams ahead of them end up in 3 point games.

That's the difficult part of being behind is that there is no set # of points in a season. Like 1260 games would be 2520 points total. It can be 2600 or 2645 points.

Exactly, and the way things are shaping up so far in the standings. The 3 spots in the Pacific look to be already spoken for with Vegas, Los Angeles and Vancouver playing so well. The Oilers are playing for a wildcard spot now and have to do what Florida did last season to get there. Not impossible but they are at the edge of the cliff now. They also have to hope Seattle, Arizona, Calgary, Minnesota, ect don't play well enough to earn that spot as well.

LesCanadiens

Hardcore Curmudgeon
Feb 27, 2002
West Kelowna
If I were the Oilers, I'd try to obtain Montembeault from the Habs. Cheap, capable and not too old so still has some possible upside. He's shown he can stand on his head especially if given the starting role. I like him and actually hope we hang on to him unless we get an offer we can't refuse.

Lockin17

Jul 31, 2018
Oilers : Campbell + first pick 2024 + 2nd pick 2024 + Beau Akey
for
MTL : Allen + Lias Anderson

• Haha
Reactions: Ragdoll

StewieP19

Dec 13, 2022
Oilers need to make a move quickly.
Now they are at 8 pts of a playoff spot.
What will be the first move ?
A goalie or a coaching change.
They can't be @ more than 10 pts after 20 games
Now they can be @ 1pst per game if they win their next 7 games.

ChaoticOrange

Jun 29, 2008
Edmonton
But who wouldnt want to go and play with McDavid?!?

Gibson or Binnington make the most sense. They should of gone all in on Helly in the offseason. But until they fix their defense AND the teams mindset on playing a 200 foot game, it wont make any difference.
Hellebuyck hasn't even been good this season.

Reactions: Summer Rose

2CHAINZ

Feb 27, 2008
Oilers : Campbell + first pick 2024 + 2nd pick 2024 + Beau Akey
for
MTL : Allen + Lias Anderson
I have no idea what Montreal wants to do this season, but if Allen is available, that's who Edmonton should go after.

rt

The Kinder, Gentler Version
May 13, 2004
A Rockwellian Pleasantville
Isn't it time for Arizona to start winning? I guess they could bury Campbell and be cool with that but that's a lot of term for a team that's trying to be good, and you're basically just praying the 26 oilers are a dumpster fire in McDavid's final year.
Ingram is just as good as Vejmelka. Having both is a luxury.

I don’t think it’s a stretch to imagine Campbell improves significantly in Arizona. The Coyotes have a long and rich history of collecting cast-off goalies for very little, rehabilitating their careers and shipping them off for premium returns. So many goalies have come through Arizona and had unexpected success. Ingram was a waiver claim, and Vejmelka was an unsigned late round draft pick playing in Czechia. Raanta was a throw-in. Devan Dubnyk was a bust. Kuemper was acquired for Tobi Rieder. Mike Smith was a last chance UFA that signed for 2mil aav.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad