Friedman: Edmonton was close to a "big" trade on Wedneday involving a goalie.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zirakzigil

Global Moderator
Jul 5, 2010
Canada
The season is pretty much lost now. They need a minimum of 95 pts to make the playoffs. They have 5 right now with 70 games left. They have to go 45-25 the rest of the way or play 0.650 hockey just to maybe sneak into a wildcard spot. They already lost 3 games to a divisional opponent (Vancouver) and the schedule the rest of November is absolutely brutal for the Oilers. October was the time to bank some points. For reference the Jets took the last spot in the west last season with a record of 46-33-3 (95 pts).

This is the Oilers schedule the rest of the month of November. No way in hell they are winning 75% of those games.

View attachment 766137
Well the good news is they dont play the Sharks or Canucks again. The Kraken are the only other sea life team left, so that might be another loss. :sarcasm:

Last edited:

Poppy Whoa Sonnet

J'Accuse!
Sponsor
Jan 24, 2007
To EDM:
Karel Vejmelka
‘24 3rd

To ARI:
Jack Campbell
‘24 1st (c. T10p)
‘26 1st
Isn't it time for Arizona to start winning? I guess they could bury Campbell and be cool with that but that's a lot of term for a team that's trying to be good, and you're basically just praying the 26 oilers are a dumpster fire in McDavid's final year.

AslanRH

Not a Core Poster
Sponsor
Jun 5, 2012
Wyoming, USA
I guess you could hope that a few of the NTCs had to be submitted at the start of the league year and maybe Edmonton wasn't on as many due to their projected playoff contention.

Not sure too many goalies would have them on their acceptable list after this start

Reactions: Pizza!Pizza!

Vandalay Industries

Feb 13, 2008
The season is pretty much lost now. They need a minimum of 95 pts to make the playoffs. They have 5 right now with 70 games left. They have to go 45-25 the rest of the way or play 0.650 hockey just to maybe sneak into a wildcard spot. They already lost 3 games to a divisional opponent (Vancouver) and the schedule the rest of November is absolutely brutal for the Oilers. October was the time to bank some points. For reference the Jets took the last spot in the west last season with a record of 46-33-3 (95 pts).

This is the Oilers schedule the rest of the month of November. No way in hell they are winning 75% of those games.

View attachment 766137
You don't need to go 45-25 to get 90 points. You're forgetting bonus points.

Reactions: Summer Rose

WhatTheDuck

9 - 20 - 8
May 17, 2007
Worst Case, Ontario
Wouldn’t shock me if they are on Gibbys no trade list as well.

I really don't think he wants to deal with the Canadian media circus. Plus I would guess that the Ducks are happy to let their goaltending situation play itself out for the time being. I've been high on Dostal since D+1 but I don't see any rush to hand him the starters job just yet.

Peasy

May 25, 2012
Star Shoppin
To EDM:
Karel Vejmelka
‘24 3rd

To ARI:
Jack Campbell
‘24 1st (c. T10p)
‘26 1st
Cant see edmonton movin their 2026 first not knowing if Drais will be there or not, cause if hes gone they should just blow it up at that point. I'm assuming thats why you picked that one ;)

Hischier and Hughes

“I love to hockey”
Jan 28, 2018
Until Edmonton replaces their goalie coach it’s just shuffling deck chairs on the titanic. As a Canucks fan, Demko is good in his own right but Ian Clark is legit a goalie whisperer — the Oilers desperately need better support staff. The fact this dude has survived as long as he have is just evidence that failing upwards is a thing for some people
great coaching would help anyone!..

but a proven veteran goalie isnt going to become worse due to poor coaching; at least, not at any significant level

Czechboy

Cole is the real MVP!
Apr 15, 2018
Dwayne Roloson can only save the oilers
I get you're joking.. but it wasn't just Roloson. He also came with Spacek who filled in beautifully in a Top 4 role heading into the playoff run. 2 forwards as well. 3 or 4 small trades that all look genius in retrospect.

So yes, we need a Roloson but we also need a Spacek.

Czechboy

Cole is the real MVP!
Apr 15, 2018
Isn't it time for Arizona to start winning? I guess they could bury Campbell and be cool with that but that's a lot of term for a team that's trying to be good, and you're basically just praying the 26 oilers are a dumpster fire in McDavid's final year.
This trade will never happen.. mostly because I would love it.

Nonetheless.. I think Campbell's numbers would go up in Az. A lot less pressure and a better D structure.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Finland vs Norway
    Finland vs Norway
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Slovakia vs USA
    Slovakia vs USA
    Wagers: 1