GDT: Edmonton @ Toronto - Saturday 7pm - SN

Status
Not open for further replies.

therealkoho

Him/Leaf/fan
Jul 10, 2009
the Prior
I just read this and it made me LOL .. i got a call around 10am from my daughter asking if she could take her husband to game for his bday .. of course i said yes .. then an hour ago one of my buddies calls and invites me to go see a band/drink .. so i say yes .. now my wife wants to go after 2 other buddies say they want to go with us for drinks, band and then hit a tit*y bar (I didn't tell her about da tit*y bar) .. it must be one of those weird days where you can't win for trying .. GLG
Ti!!y bar, really? I haven't been in one of those joints in 25 years

Leaf Rocket

Leaf Fan Till I Die
Dec 10, 2007
Toronto/Fredericton
I want the gang
Who's in net any word?
Sammy is likely in net.

Also blast from the past.

1711215796705.png

barilko05

NHL FAN
Jan 28, 2011
Shows me McDavid > Matthews and Marner and Keefe had no clue how to get the best out of his players because he was too busy catering to you know who. The good thing is he finally moved Domi up to play with more skilled players and Bert to PP1 and voila, they are now producing and look like they have a pulse.
Zack Hyman is a good player. But when he was here there was doubt about his style of play and how he would stand up. The contract didn't fit the cap, so we had to pass. Plus, if you're Marner (who drives the play on the line) who are you giving the puck to? Hint: it ain't Zack Hyman. He did his job well as the energy guy digging the puck out of the corners. His current pace is a result of picking up the garbage of one of the NHL's top players...nothing more. Right place, right time...50 goals. Ask B.J. McDonald how it worked out for him after scoring 50 goals on a line with Wayne Gretzky. He was traded the next season and basically his career was over. When asked why he traded him, Glen Sather's reply was "I could put a fire hydrant on a line with Wayne and it would score 50." Zack Hyman=B.J. McDonald=Fire Hydrant.

Reactions: ULF_55

Confucius

There is no try, Just do
Feb 8, 2009
Toronto
Zack Hyman is a good player. But when he was here there was doubt about his style of play and how he would stand up. The contract didn't fit the cap, so we had to pass. Plus, if you're Marner (who drives the play on the line) who are you giving the puck to? Hint: it ain't Zack Hyman. He did his job well as the energy guy digging the puck out of the corners. His current pace is a result of picking up the garbage of one of the NHL's top players...nothing more. Right place, right time...50 goals. Ask B.J. McDonald how it worked out for him after scoring 50 goals on a line with Wayne Gretzky. He was traded the next season and basically his career was over. When asked why he traded him, Glen Sather's reply was "I could put a fire hydrant on a line with Wayne and it would score 50." Zack Hyman=B.J. McDonald=Fire Hydrant.
I saw a quote from McDavid that he was going to concentrate on trying to get more than 100 assists. Hyman may well be the benefiary

Edit to add:
It was said in a joking manner.

Last edited:
Sep 18, 2009
You gotta keep hyman

Reactions: LeafSteel

FerrisRox

"Wanna go, Prettyboy?"
Sep 17, 2003
Toronto, Ontario

Blair never actually hit fifty, he scored 46.

Your dismissal of Zach Hyman "picking up the garbage" would be more credible if Hyman didn't score 83 points last season with 47 assists. He's a good player playing with great players, he deserves way more respect than McDonald and he's already scored more goals than MacDonald did with Wayne Gretzky and he's already proven he's not a one year wonder like Blair was.

Isaac Nootin

Sep 28, 2017
I saw a quote from McDavid that he was going to concentrate on trying to get more than 100 assists. Hyman may well be the benefiary
Really doesn't seem like something McDavid would say. He's always about the team and very robotic in his interviews, much like Tavares.

Confucius

There is no try, Just do
Feb 8, 2009
Toronto
Really doesn't seem like something McDavid would say. He's always about the team and very robotic in his interviews, much like Tavares.
There was some interview where it was brought up how few players had attained that and he said something like he would like to.
Orr Lemieux and gretzky

Edit to add: I now see it says he jokingly said that

"I've decided I'm just going to see how many assists I can get," McDavid jokingly told reporters on Monday. "That's the focus, I'm not going to shoot the puck anymore."

Last edited:
Reactions: OddyOh

LeafSteel

GO LEAFS GO!!!
Mar 5, 2014
Toronto
Oh yeah, I’m the best.

It gets better, now find out there are no go trains this weekend, so not only am I not going I have to figure out a way to get them there. :laugh:
Of course that’s after I drive to Waterloo this morning to pick up my eldest from school so she can go.
Are you me in a parallel universe?

Both love the Leafs and Steelers.

Our kids seem to be around the same age, except you have 2 girls and I have 2 boys.

My oldest son came home from Waterloo yesterday on the Fed bus…..

Have I missed anything??

LeafSteel

GO LEAFS GO!!!
Mar 5, 2014
Toronto
Zack Hyman is a good player. But when he was here there was doubt about his style of play and how he would stand up. The contract didn't fit the cap, so we had to pass. Plus, if you're Marner (who drives the play on the line) who are you giving the puck to? Hint: it ain't Zack Hyman. He did his job well as the energy guy digging the puck out of the corners. His current pace is a result of picking up the garbage of one of the NHL's top players...nothing more. Right place, right time...50 goals. Ask B.J. McDonald how it worked out for him after scoring 50 goals on a line with Wayne Gretzky. He was traded the next season and basically his career was over. When asked why he traded him, Glen Sather's reply was "I could put a fire hydrant on a line with Wayne and it would score 50." Zack Hyman=B.J. McDonald=Fire Hydrant.i

Not sure why this post is so dismissive of Hyman.

Not that I remotely agree with it, but if you feel his skills don’t fit Matthews LW, he fits Tavares like a glove.

The guy has a high compete level, works hard, hounds for the puck, high hockey IQ, and has some finish.

You keep guys like that.

Too bad Dubas didn’t. Our loss.

PuckMagi

Apr 13, 2013
Toronto
gotta say... I was wrong about Hyman. never in a million years did I think he could put up 50+ goals in a season.

I always loved his work ethic, but I didn't think he had the skills to go along with it.

I hated how he was always paired with Matthews and Nylander who I thought had way more skill than him and that he was bringing them down. I thought he was more of a 3rd or 4th line energy guy.

But he always seemed like a good guy and it was evident he always put in 110% effort every shift.... so I'm happy to be wrong about him and I'm really happy about all the success he's having.

Good job Zach... keep up the good work!

Reactions: arso40

ToneDog

56 years and counting. #FireTheShanaClan!
Jun 11, 2017
Richmond Hill, ON

Zack is getting PP there. Never got much here. McDavid also has Draisaitl to pass to. Perhaps Hyman is getting some of the goals Draisaitl would have, which may explain why he only has 35 so far this season.

Sure you and I could get 20 playing with McDavid but Zack > BJ IMO.

ULF_55

Feb 27, 2002
Mountain Standard Ti
Visit site
gotta say... I was wrong about Hyman. never in a million years did I think he could put up 50+ goals in a season.

I always loved his work ethic, but I didn't think he had the skills to go along with it.

I hated how he was always paired with Matthews and Nylander who I thought had way more skill than him and that he was bringing them down. I thought he was more of a 3rd or 4th line energy guy.

But he always seemed like a good guy and it was evident he always put in 110% effort every shift.... so I'm happy to be wrong about him and I'm really happy about all the success he's having.

Good job Zach... keep up the good work!

And 4 years older than Nylander?

bax

Mar 4, 2011
Canada
Oh yeah, I’m the best.

It gets better, now find out there are no go trains this weekend, so not only am I not going I have to figure out a way to get them there. :laugh:
Of course that’s after I drive to Waterloo this morning to pick up my eldest from school so she can go.
So after all of that you’ll end up watching it in a bar downtown lol

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad