GDT: Edmonton @ Toronto - Saturday 7pm - SN

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nineteen67

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 12, 2017
I know they have to play Edmonton at home every year and I guess it will draw ratings on HNIC, but my goodness the Saturday night schedule has been awful this year. And to make matters worse the Rangers and Panthers game is on ABC (ESPN).

Reactions: PromisedLand

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
I know they have to play Edmonton at home every year and I guess it will draw ratings on HNIC, but my goodness the Saturday night schedule has been awful this year. And to make matters worse the Rangers and Panthers game is on ABC (ESPN).
Edmonton is a great Saturday night opponent, one of the top tickets of the season.
Why is the Rangers/Panthers game worse? Seems like a great matchup as well.

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
I'd put Woll in this one. Gotta get him playing more. Not nearly enough starts since coming back. Giving him another tough start on a back to back against the Canes is rough.

I'd expect Brodie back in this one for Timmins I bet.

Jojalu

Feb 22, 2019
[/QUOTE

HNIC should show the Rangers/Panthers game instead of the Leafs/Oilers?

Reactions: OddyOh and bax

ACC1224

Aug 19, 2002
I'd put Woll in this one. Gotta get him playing more. Not nearly enough starts since coming back.

100% unless Brodie is hurt and they haven't said anything.

bax

Mar 4, 2011
Canada
Matthews hitting 60 with another hat-trick while shutting down Hyman is what we want to see. The rocket race is closer than it should be.
It really is a pretty close race. Hopefully Matthews getting two and nearly 3 the other night is a start to him heating up again and creating some distance. Not a fan of seeing Hyman so close lol

I'm one of those weird fans who enjoys the Rocket race and all of the other "meaningless regular season trophy" races as well as the playoffs so it's been exciting to watch.

Darcy Tucker

My Name is Bob
Mar 23, 2008
Vaughan, Ontario
I'm one of those weird fans who enjoys the Rocket race and all of the other "meaningless regular season trophy" races as well as the playoffs so it's been exciting to watch.
Same. I also keep an eye on the top 10 scoring race where we have 2 players currently. I think that's huge. Too bad Marner is injured or he'd be making it close to being there too.

Screenshot_2024-03-22-09-22-38~2.png

Reactions: bax

Suntouchable13

Dec 20, 2003
Toronto, ON
It really is a pretty close race. Hopefully Matthews getting two and nearly 3 the other night is a start to him heating up again and creating some distance. Not a fan of seeing Hyman so close lol

Hyman has blown me away. There is no way I thought he was worth 5.5M at the time. I was glad he was gone actually, just because I did not like him glued to the Leafs best players all the time. I did not think he was that good. Oh well, happy for him.

egd27

Donec nunc annum
Sponsor
Jul 8, 2011
GTA
Right after going head to head with Ovi, Matthews has to duel with Hyman. Epic clashes of goal scoring greatness!

Reactions: authentic

bax

Mar 4, 2011
Canada
Hyman has blown me away. There is no way I thought he was worth 5.5M at the time. I was glad he was gone actually, just because I did not like him glued to the Leafs best players all the time. I did not think he was that good. Oh well, happy for him.
I think a lot of us were feeling the same. Especially when he kept getting injured too.

Reactions: Suntouchable13

ACC1224

Aug 19, 2002
It's funny, Dubas got so many things wrong but many of us thought he got that one right. Turns out he got that one wrong as well.

Nineteen67

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 12, 2017
You'd think any Leaf fan would prefer to watch the Leaf game anyway.
IMO, the Leafs are playing a semi-meaningless game against a Western opponent I don’t really care about.
I remember when Saturday was the best night for hockey, but it’s been underwhelming this season.

Martin Skoula

Oct 18, 2017
It's funny, Dubas got so many things wrong but many of us thought he got that one right. Turns out he got that one wrong as well.

Edmonton’s skill coaches did miracles with Hyman’s shooting mechanics in tight, chances are our guys wouldn’t have fixed it if they couldn’t by the time he hit UFA and he’d be the same 60 point guy he was in his first year in Edmonton.

bax

Mar 4, 2011
Canada
IMO, the Leafs are playing a semi-meaningless game against a Western opponent I don’t really care about.
I remember when Saturday was the best night for hockey, but it’s been underwhelming this season.
Fair point, I do agree this season has been more underwhelming. I much prefer the chance to watch McDavid vs Matthews and the Leafs in general regardless.

The resume stats just keep growing and growing

Reactions: ACC1224

CabanaBoy5

Feb 17, 2013
Woodbridge
I'd put Woll in this one. Gotta get him playing more. Not nearly enough starts since coming back. Giving him another tough start on a back to back against the Canes is rough.

That would be really dumb on Keefe's part. I thought Timmins had a good game and I'd to see more in the next few games. He gives us what we lack when he's playing well and confidently...puck moving, good shot from the point, offence from the defence. Pair him with a good defensive defenceman, either Edmundson or Benoit, and let him run with it awhile.

I don't know what the hell Brodie offers anymore. He's been terrible and a liability regardless who he plays with. Besides, he's not going to be with us next season, so why not see what you've got with someone who might be here.

ACC1224

Aug 19, 2002
I'm guessing the vast majority are excited to see the best player in the world come to town. One of the first games I circle.

Edmonton’s skill coaches did miracles with Hyman’s shooting mechanics in tight, chances are our guys wouldn’t have fixed it if they couldn’t by the time he hit UFA and he’d be the same 60 point guy he was in his first year in Edmonton.
Who's the Leafs skills coach? Is this something we can pile on Van Ryn?

• Haha
Reactions: LeafSteel

wingman75

Dec 3, 2008
The QC
You'd think any Leaf fan would prefer to watch the Leaf game anyway.
I'm with you. If the Leafs are playing, I see zero minutes of any other game on at the same time. I'm watching my team, and only my team for that 2hrs and 45min. Exception might be intermission quick flick if there is a super interesting game on during playoff time (in that case I might have dual screens going tbh).

Regarding the quality of the broadcast, I do feel though that CC's time has past. I cannot believe a guy who calls 56 Leafs games a season cannot tell the difference between Nylander and Robertson, they don't even shoot the same way ffs. I think this is part of what we are missing as fans of the team is a bit of homerism, not in the over the top calls, but just knowing little bits about the guys and their interactions that can add to the broadcast.

CC is not able to keep up with the play anymore either. He is/was one of the best, but is heading the way of old Bob Cole who was just makin shit up the last five years he was calling games.

Regardless, it's the Leafs, I'll watch and I'll love/hate it dammit.

Dekes For Days

Sep 24, 2018
The Leafs are playing. That's where that sentence should have stopped. That's all that matters.
Saturday is still the best night for hockey, because it's the night the Leafs play on the most.
And I'd sure as heck rather play Edmonton than some southern U.S. team.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Sydney Swans @ Hawthorn Hawks
    Sydney Swans @ Hawthorn Hawks
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $5,220.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Inter Milan vs Torino
    Inter Milan vs Torino