Dreger: Edmonton Oilers Have Offers For Jordan Eberle, Trade Likely

supeg93*

Aug 16, 2014
Humor me, please... How does a RNH for Faulk swap make sense at all for Carolina? You're asking us to give up one of our key defensemen, who provides needed offense from the blueline while playing solid defense, for a guy who has been described by the Edmonton Journal in February of this year as "a passenger, too passive on the attack and too ineffectual on defence". We don't need another player who's looking to make the pass, we need legitimate 1st line scorers, and if you're going to try and pry Faulk away from us, we're going to make it painful for you. If you can't give us one of your best players not named McDavid, then you can't afford the cost of doing business for one of our best.

"blueline while playing solid defense"

Lol. Faulk is one of the worst in the NHL in the Dzone. Like literally bottom 5

Patagonia

Keep Whining
Jan 6, 2017
Oilers do not have a 2nd rounder due to the compensation in signing Chiarelli. It's going to Boston.

Sorry...the 2nd round pick was optional for 2015-17 and didn't realize it was not transferred. Maybe consider 2018 or 2019 2nd Round pick?

Rita12

Aug 18, 2003
Eberle and a first to NYI for Hamonic and Halak (cap dump)

Sign Williams

Trade 3rd round pick 2017 and Brossoit/Khaira/Reinhart to Vegas (their choice) in Exchange for taking Pouliot thus allowing us to shed that salary and keep Kassian

Sign Hainsey to 1 year contract around 2 million

klef/larsson

nurse/hamonic

Hainsey/Benning

DEVILS130

Aug 14, 2008
PA
Would def be open to acquiring Eberle for NJ. Desperately need another RW. But not sure what the cost would be...

Burnt Biscuits

May 2, 2010
No he's not. If he was the Ryan Getzlaf wouldnt have went 5G 5A in 7GP. He's young and will hopefully rebound next season but he's not very good

RNH didn't allow any 5 on 5 goals when his line was against Getzlaf's in games 1 or 2, in game 3 their lines each had one 5 on 5 goal, in game 4 he allowed 2, 5 on 5 goals against Getzlaf. In games 5 through 7 Drai took that match-up, as McLellan wanted more size then RNH+ Ebs provided to match-up against Getzlaf, Rakell, and Perry. Second thing no one expects RNH to win that match-up against a top 10 center in the league, who at the time was playing some of the best hockey in his career, it is just about controlling the bleeding. As an aside anyone who draws large conclusions as to what qualities a player does or doesn't have based on that kind of small sample size needs to remove their head from their rectum.

TOGuy14

Dec 30, 2010
Toronto
Oiler fans have to realize some of the players being offered are overpaid or nearly negative value.

With new contracts coming up for McDavid and Draisaitl, they should begin the salary dumps sooner than later. The team had a fantastic playoff run and like most teams, needs young cost control D. With Puljujarvi as their only decent prospect they need to keep, they have few options except overpaying ie. Hall trade. A package trade is needed to unload contracts and get a young cost control D as a possible option for the team.

Eberle ($6M)
Nugent-Hopkins ($6M)
2017 - 2nd Round Pick

for

Hanifin ($1.8M)

Canes get enough firepower to make the playoffs, but might still refuse due to financial issues and absorbing nearly $10M additional salaries. Oilers clear cap space and have team control for a D player with tremendous upside for 5 additional years.

Don't think Carolina wants to trade a loonie for three quarters.

victor

Sep 6, 2003
Would def be open to acquiring Eberle for NJ. Desperately need another RW. But not sure what the cost would be...

Younger, right shooting defenseman, on a value contract is what they're looking for.

Due to the expansion draft, some teams are in a difficult position, and it's easier to protect forwards than defensemen.

I could see Edmonton trading Eberle for a right shooting defender, and then protecting 8-1.

Edmonton would protect Talbot, Lucic, Nugent-Hopkins, Draisaitl, Sekera, Klefbom, Larsson, and the defender that Eberle's traded for, and another player.

Options for LVGK would include: Maroon, Kassian, Kharia, Letestu, Pouliot, Reinhart, Fayne, Brossoit.

Fourier

Dec 29, 2006
Waterloo Ontario
RNH didn't allow any 5 on 5 goals when his line was against Getzlaf's in games 1 or 2, in game 3 their lines each had one 5 on 5 goal, in game 4 he allowed 2, 5 on 5 goals against Getzlaf. In games 5 through 7 Drai took that match-up, as McLellan wanted more size then RNH+ Ebs provided to match-up against Getzlaf, Rakell, and Perry. Second thing no one expects RNH to win that match-up against a top 10 center in the league, who at the time was playing some of the best hockey in his career, it is just about controlling the bleeding. As an aside anyone who draws large conclusions as to what qualities a player does or doesn't have based on that kind of small sample size needs to remove their head from their rectum.

To add to this, he goal in game three was a brutal give away by Nurse that resulted in a fairly weak goal on Talbot from off the wall. The Oilers had complet control of the puck and Nurse simply gave it to Getzlaf. One of the goals in game 4 was the disputed goal where Perry contacted Talbot.

Nuge's line also had the advantage vs Getzlaf's in CF%, shots and scoring chances. Nuge even went 56% on the dot vs Getzlaf over the series.

The line failed to score. That's on them. But the narrative that Getzlaf's line dominated them the whole series is not true.

Fourier

Dec 29, 2006
Waterloo Ontario
Oiler fans have to realize some of the players being offered are overpaid or nearly negative value.

With new contracts coming up for McDavid and Draisaitl, they should begin the salary dumps sooner than later. The team had a fantastic playoff run and like most teams, needs young cost control D. With Puljujarvi as their only decent prospect they need to keep, they have few options except overpaying ie. Hall trade. A package trade is needed to unload contracts and get a young cost control D as a possible option for the team.

Eberle ($6M)
Nugent-Hopkins ($6M)
2017 - 2nd Round Pick

for

Hanifin ($1.8M)

Canes get enough firepower to make the playoffs, but might still refuse due to financial issues and absorbing nearly $10M additional salaries. Oilers clear cap space and have team control for a D player with tremendous upside for 5 additional years.

Let's wait and see what happens with the cap before declaring a cap crisis. If it goes to $77M this year which has been the most recent speculation, then even if McDavid gets $11M and Drasiatl get $say $7.5M the Oilers would very likely have the cap space in 2018-2019 to keep everyone in their current line-up by simply moving or even buying out Puoliot.

That does not mean that they would not make a deal based on the cap. But the urgency to do some could well be far less than people expect. Now if the NHLPA does not use the escalato, then one of Eberle or Nuge is pretty much for sure being traded. But even then you don't have to do both for cap space.

This trade very likely makes the team worse for at least the next two years. Not exactly what you want from a team that has finally put years of darkness behind them.

ChaoticOrange

Jun 29, 2008
Edmonton
FWIW, the Blues' beat writer who is pretty reliable has said multiple times now (including just today) that the Blues like Eberle. They need scoring depth behind Tarasenko. I think it is possible they are one of the teams in on him.

What would Edmonton be looking for in return from St. Louis out of curiosity? Would you at all be interested in Lehtera + Jordan Schmaltz (solid 'young defense prospect who is NHL ready) or something like that? With the signing of Parayko we would need to move at least a little bit of cap back in the deal. Carl Gunnarsson is another option for this, or Perron if you want him back instead of Lehtera.

We read your board, we know exactly what you think of Lehtera... haha.

Sobotka + would make sense, but I really don't want any part of lehtera.

ChaoticOrange

Jun 29, 2008
Edmonton
Eberle and a first to NYI for Hamonic and Halak (cap dump)

Sign Williams

Trade 3rd round pick 2017 and Brossoit/Khaira/Reinhart to Vegas (their choice) in Exchange for taking Pouliot thus allowing us to shed that salary and keep Kassian

Sign Hainsey to 1 year contract around 2 million

klef/larsson

nurse/hamonic

Hainsey/Benning

No to the Islander trade, primarily because our prospect obsessed board will whine about whatever prospect they pick at 22 for the next three years.

I also don't believe the Oilers should have to absorb more salary than they're shipping out next season. Halak and Hamonic make nearly 9 million bucks, Eberle makes 6. That extra 3 mil could be the 3C we need.

ChaoticOrange

Jun 29, 2008
Edmonton
Younger, right shooting defenseman, on a value contract is what they're looking for.

Due to the expansion draft, some teams are in a difficult position, and it's easier to protect forwards than defensemen.

I could see Edmonton trading Eberle for a right shooting defender, and then protecting 8-1.

Edmonton would protect Talbot, Lucic, Nugent-Hopkins, Draisaitl, Sekera, Klefbom, Larsson, and the defender that Eberle's traded for, and another player.

Options for LVGK would include: Maroon, Kassian, Kharia, Letestu, Pouliot, Reinhart, Fayne, Brossoit.

... Maroon? The guy that just scored 27 goals? We want to expose him to add a #4 defenceman?

Sorry, no. I don't see that happening at all, and Vegas will have all the #4 defencemen a team could ever want after the draft. Deal with them - they're going to need scoring and will have a ton of cap room to play with.

victor

Sep 6, 2003
... Maroon? The guy that just scored 27 goals? We want to expose him to add a #4 defenceman?

Sorry, no. I don't see that happening at all, and Vegas will have all the #4 defencemen a team could ever want after the draft. Deal with them - they're going to need scoring and will have a ton of cap room to play with.

Maroon, a 29 year old UFA at the end of the season upcoming?

Anyone think he can score 27 goals without McDavid?

victor

Sep 6, 2003

Say you trade Eberle for Hamonic, resign Russell at $3.75m (up from 3.1m,) Draisaitl at $7.5m (Tarasenko's deal) Kassian with an increase to $2m (from 1.75m), and players like Pitlick, Kharia, Reinhart at 750k?

Maroon - McDavid - Caggiula
Lucic - Draisaitl - Puljujarvi
Slepyshev - Nugent-Hopkins - Pitlick
Pouliot - Letestu - Kassian
Khaira

Klefbom - Larsson
Russell - Hamonic
Nurse - Benning
Reinhart

Talbot
Brossoit

If the cap is $77m, this team comes in at around $57m. Cap floor at $77m is $61m. Sekera adds $5.5m, but on LTIR.

Edmonton needs to keep cap space for McDavid, but they might be flirting with the floor and not the ceiling next season.

ChaoticOrange

Jun 29, 2008
Edmonton
Maroon, a 29 year old UFA at the end of the season upcoming?

Anyone think he can score 27 goals without McDavid?

The ability to click and mesh with a superstar player shouldn't be overlooked. Players have made careers out of that talent - Chris Kunitz for example.

victor

Sep 6, 2003
The ability to click and mesh with a superstar player shouldn't be overlooked. Players have made careers out of that talent - Chris Kunitz for example.

Yeah, but he has one year to UFA, is 29. If you were George McPhee, would you take him in an expansion draft?

I wouldn't.

ChaoticOrange

Jun 29, 2008
Edmonton
Yeah, but he has one year to UFA, is 29. If you were George McPhee, would you take him in an expansion draft?

I wouldn't.

Considering his other options in Edmonton are a backup goalie and a #7 defenceman? Hell yes I'd take Maroon over Brossoit or Reinhart.

SupremeTeam16

5-14-6-1
May 31, 2013
Baker’s Bay

Eberle ($6M)
Nugent-Hopkins ($6M)
2017 - 2nd Round Pick

for

Hanifin ($1.8M)

Karmanos just settled with his kids, had two investors back out on him and his team has some of the worst attendance numbers in the league. He is not green lighting Francis to go out and acquire a ton of cap. The Canes will be at or near the bottom in league spending again next year.

victor

Sep 6, 2003
Considering his other options in Edmonton are a backup goalie and a #7 defenceman? Hell yes I'd take Maroon over Brossoit or Reinhart.

Well, Edmonton has another slot if they take the 8-1, and could protect Maroon.

I can't see them doing that, as I can't see GMGM not taking younger controllable assets under control over a player like Maroon who only has one season to UFA. If I were GMGM, I'd take Brossoit, but I could see taking Reinhart or Khaira.

For Maroon, a single year to UFA, and 29 years old wouldn't make him a good pick unless LVGK can flip him, and I'm not sure that any other team would think they'd get the same performance without McDavid.

ChaoticOrange

Jun 29, 2008
Edmonton

I can't see them doing that, as I can't see GMGM not taking younger controllable assets under control over a player like Maroon who only has one season to UFA. If I were GMGM, I'd take Brossoit, but I could see taking Reinhart or Khaira.

For Maroon, a single year to UFA, and 29 years old wouldn't make him a good pick unless LVGK can flip him, and I'm not sure that any other team would think they'd get the same performance without McDavid.

Even if you're looking at players purely to trade them, who has more value right now, Brossoit (played 10 games and looked OK) Reinhart (finally found his game in the AHL) or Maroon coming off a career best season?

If Maroon is there and I'm Vegas I snap him up then sell him off to the highest bidder. 27 goal power forward? I don't care if it WAS all McDavid, that's a player with a lot of value.

victor

Sep 6, 2003
Even if you're looking at players purely to trade them, who has more value right now, Brossoit (played 10 games and looked OK) Reinhart (finally found his game in the AHL) or Maroon coming off a career best season?

If Maroon is there and I'm Vegas I snap him up then sell him off to the highest bidder. 27 goal power forward? I don't care if it WAS all McDavid, that's a player with a lot of value.

In terms of value, you take the player that could have the most impact who's under control for the longest term.

Brossoit's a 24 year old goaltender, who has played progressively better at each level of competition, and signed next year at $750k.

Reinhart is a 23 year old, 6'4", 212lb defender who had a good season in the AHL. He may have seen more time in the NHL if Edmonton's leadership understood the cap and tagging rule, but ignoring that, he's controllable for more years than the other picks.

Maroon is 29, UFA at the end of the year, and scored well with McDavid. Prior to McDavid, Maroon scored 26 goals over 5 (incomplete) seasons.

Even exposed, I can't see GMGM taking Maroon.

ManofSteel55

Aug 15, 2013
Sylvan Lake, Alberta

PC has stated that we aren't going 8-1 so it doesn't matter.

ManofSteel55

Aug 15, 2013
Sylvan Lake, Alberta
In terms of value, you take the player that could have the most impact who's under control for the longest term.

Brossoit's a 24 year old goaltender, who has played progressively better at each level of competition, and signed next year at $750k.

Reinhart is a 23 year old, 6'4", 212lb defender who had a good season in the AHL. He may have seen more time in the NHL if Edmonton's leadership understood the cap and tagging rule, but ignoring that, he's controllable for more years than the other picks.

Maroon is 29, UFA at the end of the year, and scored well with McDavid. Prior to McDavid, Maroon scored 26 goals over 5 (incomplete) seasons.

Even exposed, I can't see GMGM taking Maroon.

Why would Brossoit be taken? There are probably 15 better goaltending options for Vegas to take.

Roof Daddy

Apr 1, 2008
We read your board, we know exactly what you think of Lehtera... haha.

Sobotka + would make sense, but I really don't want any part of lehtera.

Definitely want Sobotka, but I don't think they'd be adding anything. Straight up seems fair.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad