Dreger: Edmonton Oilers Have Offers For Jordan Eberle, Trade Likely

FlameChampion

Jul 13, 2011
As an Oilers fan, I dont particularly like the way that Eberle plays the game. He looked disengaged for the majority of the year to me. That being said, the guy still put up 51 points while looking disengaged.

Points are valuable in this league. I personally think Eberle needs a change of scenery and a fresh start. I think hes a good player but hes just too comfortable where hes at.

I think he would be a more effective player in the eastern conference. I think he is a good pickup by an eastern team for a decent price.

TOGuy14

Dec 30, 2010
Toronto
blockbuster with Carolina

Eberle
RNH
Oilers 2 round pick

Staal
Faulk

Salaries work. Carolina gets more scoring. Oilers get the D and 2nd line centre (that can win faceoffs) that they need.

Any Carolina fans care to weigh in?

That is terrible for Carolina

Homesick

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 2, 2005
Calgary
I agree with the first part but will hold off on the 2nd. Chia is building a team. Sometimes trading the better player makes your overall team better.

Eberle will probably have a very good year with his new team. Like Hall, Oiler fans would rather look at the big picture and accept making the playoffs vs having Hall and Eberle's skill.
Last off season it was very obvious that the Oilers needed to upgrade defense and it was going to cost us. This off season the Oilers biggest need is secondary scoring and I have yet to see anything that addresses that need by shipping out a 50+ point winger.

_Del_

Jul 4, 2003
Eberle doesnt get Edmonton Hamonic but a lot has changed since last summer:

I think those are mostly fair points, but I'd still value Hamonic over Eberle. Hamonic under 4M for three years, even after a bad year, is worth more than Eberle at 6M for two. He still ate 20+ minutes a night, and D go for a premium.
I don't think Eberle's really closed the gap in my mind. I don't really want to go through a point by point refutation (and some of them are valid points). Like I said, I think we'll find out, and it only takes one GM who is fond of Eberle for me to be wrong, I suppose.

TMLFOREVER**

May 8, 2017
Dreger is like Eklund. Not sure if Dreger ever broke a trade though. This was a speculation and I am sure half the Edmonton fan base could have said this.

yababy

Jun 26, 2015
CAR fans would say "something something Draisaitl something something Puljujarvi"
This would be brutal for CAR..

Add Puljujarvi + 2017 1st and you may have something..

Oilers won't give up both RWingers
Eberle is going and Puljujarvi staying - I also wouldn't be "throwing in" a 1st round pick.

If the first part of the deal is Nugent-Hopkins for Faulk I think that might work for
Carolina.
So if the second part is Eberle and the 2nd round pick for Staal it's not as brutal as you suggest.

BlueDream

Aug 30, 2011
FWIW, the Blues' beat writer who is pretty reliable has said multiple times now (including just today) that the Blues like Eberle. They need scoring depth behind Tarasenko. I think it is possible they are one of the teams in on him.

What would Edmonton be looking for in return from St. Louis out of curiosity? Would you at all be interested in Lehtera + Jordan Schmaltz (solid 'young defense prospect who is NHL ready) or something like that? With the signing of Parayko we would need to move at least a little bit of cap back in the deal. Carl Gunnarsson is another option for this, or Perron if you want him back instead of Lehtera.

Svechhammer

THIS is hockey?
Jun 8, 2017
Oilers won't give up both RWingers
Eberle is going and Puljujarvi staying - I also wouldn't be "throwing in" a 1st round pick.

If the first part of the deal is Nugent-Hopkins for Faulk I think that might work for
Carolina.

So if the second part is Eberle and the 2nd round pick for Staal it's not as brutal as you suggest.

Humor me, please... How does a RNH for Faulk swap make sense at all for Carolina? You're asking us to give up one of our key defensemen, who provides needed offense from the blueline while playing solid defense, for a guy who has been described by the Edmonton Journal in February of this year as "a passenger, too passive on the attack and too ineffectual on defence". We don't need another player who's looking to make the pass, we need legitimate 1st line scorers, and if you're going to try and pry Faulk away from us, we're going to make it painful for you. If you can't give us one of your best players not named McDavid, then you can't afford the cost of doing business for one of our best.

Oilwings

Jan 23, 2006
604 Area
FWIW, the Blues' beat writer who is pretty reliable has said multiple times now (including just today) that the Blues like Eberle. They need scoring depth behind Tarasenko. I think it is possible they are one of the teams in on him.

What would Edmonton be looking for in return from St. Louis out of curiosity? Would you at all be interested in Lehtera + Jordan Schmaltz (solid 'young defense prospect who is NHL ready) or something like that? With the signing of Parayko we would need to move at least a little bit of cap back in the deal. Carl Gunnarsson is another option for this, or Perron if you want him back instead of Lehtera.

Parayko for Ebs+. Parayko finally comes home to solidify our top 4 dcore.

Captain Controversy

Apr 30, 2015
Alberta
Parayko for Ebs+. Parayko finally comes home to solidify our top 4 dcore.

Blues fans be like "draisaitl or bust". Which they should say.

If the Oilers could get away with trading anything around nuge, eberle for Parayko It would be because parayko doesn't want to play in St. Louis.

LTIR

Nov 8, 2013

Oilers will need cap relief as well so we might not be good trade partners.
Perron only has 1 yr left so would be preferred over Jori.
Perron + Schmaltz (after the exp draft) would be more than a fair return for Oilers.

Homesick

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 2, 2005
Calgary
Value is there but I'm not sure I want Perron back in Edmonton and the feeling is probably mutual

yababy

Jun 26, 2015
Humor me, please... How does a RNH for Faulk swap make sense at all for Carolina? You're asking us to give up one of our key defensemen, who provides needed offense from the blueline while playing solid defense, for a guy who has been described by the Edmonton Journal in February of this year as "a passenger, too passive on the attack and too ineffectual on defence". We don't need another player who's looking to make the pass, we need legitimate 1st line scorers, and if you're going to try and pry Faulk away from us, we're going to make it painful for you. If you can't give us one of your best players not named McDavid, then you can't afford the cost of doing business for one of our best.

Similar to a Taylor Hall for Larsson trade. Use a team strength to fill a team need.
RNH is a very good 2 way centre. Not a true #1...more like a 1-2

Svechhammer

THIS is hockey?
Jun 8, 2017
Similar to a Taylor Hall for Larsson trade. Use a team strength to fill a team need.

Maybe, but I just don't see how this helps the Canes. Carolina is a team that already has plenty of that 1-2 borderline player, and what they're sorely missing is a legit 1st liner, and primarily a 1st line center, and really a 1st line center who contributes more offensively than he does defensively. That's the kind of trade we're going to be looking to make this offseason, and the kind of return upon which a trade needs to be based if we're being asked to part ways with any of Faulk, Slavin, or Hanifin.

Wewillrise

Jul 25, 2015

Blues roster players I could Chia interested in are:
1) Berglund
2) Edmundson (LHD not really needed)
3) Barbashev

Not that the Blues would move any of them but those are his type of players.

FlameChampion

Jul 13, 2011

Really only see Edmonton being interested in Sobotka, Fabbri, Barbashev or Berglund as somewhat realistic targets. Cant really see St. Louis trading any of those 4. I think the Oilers could use another C but dont see Lehtera having enough value. I dont know enough about Schmaltz to comment.

TFHockey

The CEO of 7-8-0
May 16, 2014
Edmonton
Maybe, but I just don't see how this helps the Canes. Carolina is a team that already has plenty of that 1-2 borderline player, and what they're sorely missing is a legit 1st liner, and primarily a 1st line center, and really a 1st line center who contributes more offensively than he does defensively. That's the kind of trade we're going to be looking to make this offseason, and the kind of return upon which a trade needs to be based if we're being asked to part ways with any of Faulk, Slavin, or Hanifin.

If the Oilers were to add to RNH (and I am not yet convinced you really value Nuge as you should) what would that add be?

1. Faulk
2. Slavin
3. Hanifin

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
Blues roster players I could Chia interested in are:
1) Berglund
2) Edmundson (LHD not really needed)
3) Barbashev

Not that the Blues would move any of them but those are his type of players.

Don't know anything about Barbashev but I would definitely have time for Berglund and Edmundson if we decide to not re-sign Russell.

Svechhammer

THIS is hockey?
Jun 8, 2017
If the Oilers were to add to RNH (and I am not yet convinced you really value Nuge as you should) what would that add be?

1. Faulk
2. Slavin
3. Hanifin

What I'm saying is that there is no trade to be made for those players if the return is based around RNH

Homesick

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 2, 2005
Calgary
No he's not. If he was the Ryan Getzlaf wouldnt have went 5G 5A in 7GP. He's young and will hopefully rebound next season but he's not very good

LTIR

Nov 8, 2013
No he's not. If he was the Ryan Getzlaf wouldnt have went 5G 5A in 7GP. He's young and will hopefully rebound next season but he's not very good

As if RNH wouldnt be Carolina's most productive C even if got no PP time.
RNH is good and was only -2 in the ANA series going against Getzlaf line. He was also great on the PK and after getting owned on the dot the first 4 games turned things around and was 60%+ the last 3 games.

if his offense "rebounds" to ~55pts he would be a lot more than a 'very good' all around player.

Patagonia

Keep Whining
Jan 6, 2017
Oiler fans have to realize some of the players being offered are overpaid or nearly negative value.

With new contracts coming up for McDavid and Draisaitl, they should begin the salary dumps sooner than later. The team had a fantastic playoff run and like most teams, needs young cost control D. With Puljujarvi as their only decent prospect they need to keep, they have few options except overpaying ie. Hall trade. A package trade is needed to unload contracts and get a young cost control D as a possible option for the team.

Eberle ($6M)
Nugent-Hopkins ($6M)
2017 - 2nd Round Pick

for

Hanifin ($1.8M)

Canes get enough firepower to make the playoffs, but might still refuse due to financial issues and absorbing nearly $10M additional salaries. Oilers clear cap space and have team control for a D player with tremendous upside for 5 additional years.

Oilwings

Jan 23, 2006
604 Area
Oiler fans have to realize some of the players being offered are overpaid or nearly negative value.

With new contracts coming up for McDavid and Draisaitl, they should begin the salary dumps sooner than later. The team had a fantastic playoff run and like most teams, needs young cost control D. With Puljujarvi as their only decent prospect they need to keep, they have few options except overpaying ie. Hall trade. A package trade is needed to unload contracts and get a young cost control D as a possible option for the team.

Eberle ($6M)
Nugent-Hopkins ($6M)
2017 - 2nd Round Pick

for

Hanifin ($1.8M)

Canes get enough firepower to make the playoffs, but might still refuse due to financial issues and absorbing nearly $10M additional salaries. Oilers clear cap space and have team control for a D player with tremendous upside for 5 additional years.

Oilers do not have a 2nd rounder due to the compensation in signing Chiarelli. It's going to Boston.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Sydney Swans @ Hawthorn Hawks
    Sydney Swans @ Hawthorn Hawks
    Wagers: 4
    Staked: $5,720.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Inter Milan vs Torino
    Inter Milan vs Torino
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $1,447.00