Elks: Edmonton Eskimos Thread 2.0: 7 - 5

MoontoScott

Jun 2, 2012
I would love to see McCoil back with the EE but if you put him in Konar's spot then you have to find a Canadian starter somewhere else. I suppose that with McCoil's versatility he can play elsewhere. He would look good at the safety position but same ratio issue there.

Cloned

Begging for Bega
Aug 25, 2003
The Esks have no excuse for losing this week.

This is the strongest healthy roster they have fielded in quite some time.

Brandyn Thompson back in, Korey Jones back in.

Adams-Grymes-Thompson-Muamba-Hightower should be a shutdown defensive backfield AFAIC.

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004

Adams-Grymes-Thompson-Muamba-Hightower should be a shutdown defensive backfield AFAIC.

Gotta get pressure on Ray.

Cloned

Begging for Bega
Aug 25, 2003
Gotta get pressure on Ray.

Benevides should have the personnel now - no more excuses. No more gaping defensive weaknesses as Marcel Young draws out this week. Jones back in is huge as he's a great run stopper. In theory, anyways.

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
Benevides should have the personnel now - no more excuses. Jones back in is huge as he's a great run stopper. In theory, anyways.

I agree.
The Montreal game was a good primer for this game. Toronto will be a real test for this team.

Cloned

Begging for Bega
Aug 25, 2003
Rumour has it that for Ray's next game in Commonwealth he could be wearing green and gold.

lol, is this bizarro world? How many barriers do they want to put in Franklin's way of actually playing meaningful minutes?

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
lol, is this bizarro world? How many barriers do they want to put in Franklin's way of actually playing meaningful minutes?

If what Moneyguy says is true I suspect that Franklin and Ray will be part of a trade.

trick91

Jun 7, 2012
Franklin is going the route of Free Agency. He won't sign here as long as we have Reilly. Ray is also a free agent and the article talked about bringing Ray in as a backup in the offseason.

Stoneman89

Feb 8, 2008

Not convinced Adams is exactly "shutdown" material.

Having Jones and Thompson back is good though. Might take them some time to get up to speed though.

Wonder what happened to Rottier? At some point a few weeks ago, they said he was back practicing with the team, and now he's on the 6 game and nothing.

The guy is turning into a band-aid.

Stoneman89

Feb 8, 2008
Rumour has it that for Ray's next game in Commonwealth he could be wearing green and gold.

Why on earth would they do that trade? Maas has proven he'll play Reilly until his legs fall off, regardless of the score/situation, etc. With Matt Nichols banged up, I could maybe see the Bombers doing it, or even the Lions with Lulay out and Jennings struggling.

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
Why on earth would they do that trade? Maas has proven he'll play Reilly under his legs fall off, regardless of the score/situation, etc. With Matt Nichols banged up, I could maybe see the Bombers doing it, or even the Lions with Lulay out and Jennings struggling.

Its certainly doesnt make sense if you look at things objectively.
However its clear that Maas is tied to Reilly and Franklin will never get an opportunity here. So Franklin is done as an Eskimo...that is crystal clear at this point.
Maybe they feel that a vet like Ray who is winding down his career and has ties to the org will be a better fit in a very limited role. He can also be another coaching voice along with the OC.

I dont agree with the move simply because I dont agree with the direction of this team but it seems to fit.

Stoneman89

Feb 8, 2008
Its certainly doesnt make sense if you look at things objectively.
However its clear that Maas is tied to Reilly and Franklin will never get an opportunity here. So Franklin is done as an Eskimo...that is crystal clear at this point.
Maybe they feel that a vet like Ray who is winding down his career and has ties to the org will be a better fit in a very limited role. He can also be another coaching voice along with the OC.

I dont agree with the move simply because I dont agree with the direction of this team but it seems to fit.

But is Ray then happy sitting on the bench for the rest of this year? Because, short of Reilly losing a limb, that is what it will be. I would have to think he has far more competitive juices still left in him than to just be a clipboard carrier and another "coach."

Tyrolean

Feb 1, 2004
Reilly will be 33 next year. Too bad Franklin will not wait 1 or 2 more years. I'd be bold and trade Reilly and keep Franklin as calculated long term play. Maybe trade for Ray or Lulay so Franklin can stay. Of course there are risks, but you will have a veteran backup QB if Franklin falters. Of course this will not be done with our current conservation management and coach. So when Reilly retires or gets badly injured the team will not have any reliable backup.

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
But is Ray then happy sitting on the bench for the rest of this year? Because, short of Reilly losing a limb, that is what it will be. I would have to think he has far more competitive juices still left in him than to just be a clipboard carrier and another "coach."

I think if there is a coaching possibility in there for Ray that may make things more palatable. He is nearing the end of his career.
In any event I am just spit balling here...I really dont have any insight.

MoontoScott

Jun 2, 2012

Having Jones and Thompson back is good though. Might take them some time to get up to speed though.

Wonder what happened to Rottier? At some point a few weeks ago, they said he was back practicing with the team, and now he's on the 6 game and nothing.

Thompson, Hightower and Grymes represent 3 of the best D-backs in the CFL so the excuses are growing thin. Jones is one of the most under rated LB's in the league and with his return excuses are getting slim there too.

The O-line has been good in the past few weeks as well so again, just win the game and keep your cool. No more delay of game penalties and no more misconduct penalties. This isn't high school football so coaches and players need to act like professionals.

Yes, kicking remains a serious concern but just suck it up and get it done because what we have now is probably all we are going to get until next year.

With a EE win and a Lion loss and we are in the X-over spot. Get healthy again and there is still a chance of making it to the big game.

MoneyGuy

Wandering
Oct 19, 2009

Rottier has a chronic leg problem. I talked with him in training camp and he was struggling even then.

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
Ray is a free agent after the season and Toronto doesn't look interested in signing him.

Makes sense especially seeing that Franklin will also be gone.

What a waste of time for Franklin the past few years have been. The Eskimos clearly dont appreciate what they have in this player.

rboomercat90

Mar 24, 2013
Edmonton
Only way acquiring Ray would make sense to me is if it’s Reilly going the other way. Ray and Franklin could split duties for the rest of the season with Franklin being re-signed to be the starter next season and Ray being the backup and then maybe transitioning into coaching. We all know that isn’t happening though.

If Franklin is traded for Ray then we’ll all know that Rhode’s isn’t the dumbest guy in the organization after all. If it’s clear to the organization that Franklin isn’t re-signing (and why would he after the way Maas has mismanaged him), then by all means, trade him. To trade a young, promising, up and coming quarterback for another quarterback who is on his last legs is absolute stupidity. Use that chip to plug some of the many holes on the roster. There seems to be a little too much nepotism on this team all of a sudden.

MoontoScott

Jun 2, 2012
Makes sense especially seeing that Franklin will also be gone.

What a waste of time for Franklin the past few years have been. The Eskimos clearly dont appreciate what they have in this player.

My thoughts exactly. For a guy that age it must be terribly frustrating.

For those who say the EE might trade Reilly, well that will only happen when Jason Maas moves to the far side of the moon.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad