Elks: Edmonton Eskimo Thread: 2018 Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gord

Oct 9, 2005
Edmonton
Interesting read. Jones appears to have no self -awareness in here.

"I know that I work for the CFL first and Saskatchewan second." I imagine the locals appreciate that comment.

“You think I would hang everyone out to dry and not take a pay cut?” Jones said. “You should know me better than that.” Hasn't basically every single thing he's done in the CFL shown that he's exactly the type to hang everyone out to dry? Bailing on teams regularly. Stealing an entire coaching staff. Repeatedly signing guys to inflated contracts to cut them before paying a bonus. Touring the Grey Cup he won in Edmonton around his hometown wearing Roughrider swag. Super, secret, hidden backup roster, etc......

I do agree with his comment about the number of staff though. If they want additional junior people to develop a succession plan but within the cost limits, I don't see the harm overall.

I'm sick of people still going on about Jones "stealing" an entire coaching staff. that's the one thing I have no fault with.
did it suck? sure. but a coaching staff should go with the guy that put them together.

you think most of them wouldn't have been let go when Maas came?

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
Matthew Scianitti@TSNScianitti
June Jones says Bryant Moniz will start for #Ticats in MTL. Manziel will come in second. Moniz was next on pecking order. Manziel is still considered Hamilton’s second quarterback. Jones did reveal Hamilton is in talks with Montreal and Edmonton about trading Vernon Adams Jr #CFL

bone

5-14-6-1
Jun 24, 2003
Edmonton
Visit site
I'm sick of people still going on about Jones "stealing" an entire coaching staff. that's the one thing I have no fault with.
did it suck? sure. but a coaching staff should go with the guy that put them together.

Fine, I agree there. But my point wasn't to bellyache about that specific occurence, but rather Jones has long shown to be a me-first type person.

MoneyGuy

Wandering
Oct 19, 2009
QB Vernon Jones said to be dealt soon with Montreal and Edmonton named as possible destinations. I'm hearing it's not us, and you might throw Winnipeg into that mix.

Stoneman89

Feb 8, 2008

Exactly. A new coach would have brought in his own guys, so if I'm one of the assistants, I'm leaving before I'm inevitably let go.

MoneyGuy

Wandering
Oct 19, 2009
I'm not sure fans here are as upset that Jones raided our coaching GM staff as much as how he did it. Coaches have freedom of movement. There is a reason why Jones is almost certainly the most disliked exec in the league.

rboomercat90

Mar 24, 2013
Edmonton
I'm not sure fans here are as upset that Jones raided our coaching GM staff as much as how he did it. Coaches have freedom of movement. There is a reason why Jones is almost certainly the most disliked exec in the league.
Yes it was how he left. You can’t convince me the guy puts others before himself or is a team first guy when he’s negotiating with another team while his current team is preparing for the Grey Cup.

Reactions: bone

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
Yes it was how he left. You can’t convince me the guy puts others before himself or is a team first guy when he’s negotiating with another team while his current team is preparing for the Grey Cup.

You mean like what Manny Viveiros did?

oXo Cube

Power Play Merchant
Nov 4, 2008
In your closet
Honestly I think TSN was more at fault for that than Jones himself. Riders negotiating through the media.

I have no hard feelings about Jones moving on from the Esks, but that comment where he tries to pretend hes a team first guy is comedy gold.

Reactions: bone

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
I think that’s different. If Jones was negotiating with an NFL or NCAA team I would have no problem with it.

Its no different really. Its a double standard.
The point is that Manny negotiated a contract with another team WHILE his current team was in a Championship tournament. This happens all the time.
It doesnt make Manny any more or less deplorable than Jones.

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
Viveiros wasn't negotiating with a competitor while his team was preparing for a championship game.

Yes he was. He confirmed (by not correcting the host) in an interview that negotiations were taking place while he was coaching in the championship tournament.
Its exactly the same thing.

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
The point is that Manny negotiated a contract with another team WHILE his current team was in a Championship tournament. This happens all the time.
x2

I don't really care what Jones did or Manny though, because it does happen all the time.

Reactions: guymez

MoneyGuy

Wandering
Oct 19, 2009
Yes he was. He confirmed (by not correcting the host) in an interview that negotiations were taking place while he was coaching in the championship tournament.
Its exactly the same thing.
You misread my post.

Cloned

Begging for Bega
Aug 25, 2003

It's completely different. Negotiating with another team in the same league is not near the same as negotiating with a team in a completely different league.

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
You misread my post.

A competitor makes it different some how? So Manny should be thinking that its okay to negotiate with some teams and not other teams.
That doesnt make a lot of sense.

I think @joestevens29 articulated things much better and more simply than I did.

Last edited:

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
I have to ask as I really don't know, but do guys like Jones and Manny have agents? I know NHL coaches do, but do guys in the Junior ranks of hockey or CFL coaches have agents?

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
It's completely different. Negotiating with another team in the same league is not near the same as negotiating with a team in a completely different league.

You are missing the salient point here. The team is irrelevant.
Its the fact that he took time and energy away from his current duties (coaching in a championship game) to negotiate his future.
Its fine if someone was to say that its inappropriate to do that until the season is over but its meaningless to suggest that the team he negotiates with matters.

Cloned

Begging for Bega
Aug 25, 2003
You are missing the salient point here. The team is irrelevant.
Its the fact that he took time and energy away from his current duties (coaching in a championship game) to negotiate his future.
Its fine if someone was to say that its inappropriate to do that until the season is over but its meaningless to suggest that the team he negotiates with matters.

I was referring within the context of holding a grudge against him because of what he was doing. Whether it was professionally appropriate is one matter, whether it was a d-bag move is a separate one.

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
I was referring within the context of holding a grudge against him because of what he was doing. Whether it was professionally appropriate is one matter, whether it was a d-bag move is a separate one.

Hey...people will always find a reason to hold a grudge. They dont need a valid reason to do that.
I was just pointing out that no one on this board had an issue with Manny negotiating a contract while he was committed to another team.
Probably has a lot to do with the fact that he became an Oiler.

Cloned

Begging for Bega
Aug 25, 2003
Hey...people will always find a reason to hold a grudge. They dont need a valid reason to do that.
I was just pointing out that no one on this board had an issue with Manny negotiating a contract while he was committed to another team.
Probably has a lot to do with the fact that he became an Oiler.

Because while I don't think it was the most professionally appropriate thing to do, it wasn't a d-bag move like what Jones did.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad