Elks: Edmonton Eskimo Thread: 2018 Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

MoontoScott

Jun 2, 2012
Its just so damn weather dependent. Yeah some brave souls will go to the game in -20 weather but that would put a serious damper on things. Here's hoping historical weather means nothing and its at least zero degrees on game day.

It seems strange that we have moved the season back to May but still find ourselves in this tenuous late November position.

I understand that the extra bye week is to help players cope with the gruelling 18 game schedule but I sometimes wonder if we shouldn't go back to the old 4 exhibition and 16 regular season game format. That way you can save on player wear and tear and still finish a little earlier. Fewer regular season games might mean less need for the extra bye week.

Yes I understand all the reasons against this argument but when you have to play 18 regular season games for $50K Canadian (before tax) then I can understand why many guys say it isn't worth it. I think players are better educated these days and are more aware of the longer term consequences.

I note that Tate has packed it in and is heading for a college coaching job.

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
It seems strange that we have moved the season back to May but still find ourselves in this tenuous late November position.

I understand that the extra bye week is to help players cope with the gruelling 18 game schedule but I sometimes wonder if we shouldn't go back to the old 4 exhibition and 16 regular season game format. That way you can save on player wear and tear and still finish a little earlier. Fewer regular season games might mean less need for the extra bye week.

Yes I understand all the reasons against this argument but when you have to play 18 regular season games for $50K Canadian (before tax) then I can understand why many guys say it isn't worth it. I think players are better educated these days and are more aware of the longer term consequences.

I note that Tate has packed it in and is heading for a college coaching job.

I was wondering that very thing a couple of weeks ago when I heard that the first regular season game was June 14th. My first thought was great...that must mean that the Grey Cup will be in early November. Nope.
This seems like such a no brainer...why in the hell are games being played in late November.
Its asinine.

Stoneman89

Feb 8, 2008
I was wondering that very thing a couple of weeks ago when I heard that the first regular season game was June 14th. My first thought was great...that must mean that the Grey Cup will be in early November. Nope.
This seems like such a no brainer...why in the hell are games being played in late November.
Its asinine.

Agreed, as I think most are. But it think it may have something to do with the TSN contract they have, or something like that. Because to me, it seems like a no brainer to move it as far away from the "danger zone" as possible.

Del Preston

Mar 8, 2013
The CFL has had a salary management system for more than a decade that applies to players. However, costs related to coaching and other non-player football expenses haven’t been capped – until now.

The new measures will limit teams to a coaching staff of 11 and other football operations staff to 17. The total compensation for those 28 employees is not to exceed $2.738 million. Player salaries are capped at $5.2 million for the upcoming season.

These measures, passed recently by the league’s board of governors, will go into effect for the 2019 season.

The league is also planning to enact measures that would control costs on other non-player football expenses, like mini-camps and scouting budgets.
https://www.tsn.ca/cfl-approves-cap-on-football-operations-costs-for-2019-season-1.1104128

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
I don't get the cap on # of guys to be honest. I feel if a team wants to bring in some younger, rawer talent that is cheaper then so be it. Having more people working in the league seems to be something that would be a good thing.

bone

5-14-6-1
Jun 24, 2003
Edmonton
Visit site
I don't get the cap on # of guys to be honest. I feel if a team wants to bring in some younger, rawer talent that is cheaper then so be it. Having more people working in the league seems to be something that would be a good thing.

Agree. Understand capping money, but capping people doesn't make sense here. If a team chooses to spend more resources on one area vs. another, that seems to be one of the balancing acts we'd expect a management team to manage to get the best outcome.

bone

5-14-6-1
Jun 24, 2003
Edmonton
Visit site
I feel bad for people losing their jobs that's about it.

Interesting read. Jones appears to have no self -awareness in here.

"I know that I work for the CFL first and Saskatchewan second." I imagine the locals appreciate that comment.

“You think I would hang everyone out to dry and not take a pay cut?” Jones said. “You should know me better than that.” Hasn't basically every single thing he's done in the CFL shown that he's exactly the type to hang everyone out to dry? Bailing on teams regularly. Stealing an entire coaching staff. Repeatedly signing guys to inflated contracts to cut them before paying a bonus. Touring the Grey Cup he won in Edmonton around his hometown wearing Roughrider swag. Super, secret, hidden backup roster, etc......

I do agree with his comment about the number of staff though. If they want additional junior people to develop a succession plan but within the cost limits, I don't see the harm overall.

Cloned

Begging for Bega
Aug 25, 2003
Interesting read. Jones appears to have no self -awareness in here.

"I know that I work for the CFL first and Saskatchewan second." I imagine the locals appreciate that comment.

“You think I would hang everyone out to dry and not take a pay cut?” Jones said. “You should know me better than that.” Hasn't basically every single thing he's done in the CFL shown that he's exactly the type to hang everyone out to dry? Bailing on teams regularly. Stealing an entire coaching staff. Repeatedly signing guys to inflated contracts to cut them before paying a bonus. Super, secret, hidden backup roster, etc......

I do agree with his comment about the number of staff though. If they want additional junior people to develop a succession plan but within the cost limits, I don't see the harm overall.

To be honest though you know that teams are already looking for a loophole or way to hide staff under this new rule. The CFL is all about finding these loopholes. If teams can find ways to hide players from other teams, they'll find ways to hide staff from this rule.

bone

5-14-6-1
Jun 24, 2003
Edmonton
Visit site
To be honest though you know that teams are already looking for a loophole or way to hide staff under this new rule. The CFL is all about finding these loopholes. If teams can find ways to hide players from other teams, they'll find ways to hide staff from this rule.

"Time to meet your new defensive line coach who really impressed us in his leadership serving as concession manager."

Reactions: Cloned

MoontoScott

Jun 2, 2012
I wonder if he'll be the same player as before the injury. For our sake I hope not. :sarcasm:

Many guys who come back from the NFL are never the same.

I hope that Walker doesn't fit into that category. He was shaky when he came back and needs to step it up a notch.

MoneyGuy

Wandering
Oct 19, 2009
Tevaun Smith cut by Jacksonville and likely heading here, says my source. Third time he's cut. Third time lucky for us.

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
"Time to meet your new defensive line coach who really impressed us in his leadership serving as concession manager."

Not far from the truth.
I really dont see how this is going help the credibility or viability of the League. I would really love to hear the reasoning behind this.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad