Elks: Edmonton Eskimo Thread: 2018 Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jimmi McJenkins

Sometimes miracles
Jan 12, 2006
Alberta
I was just pointing out that no one on this board had an issue with Manny negotiating a contract while he was committed to another team.
Well, probably in both cases, they each have agents who are doing that negotiations and presenting them the options after the teams were finished.

I think if we're being honest though Jones does seem to come out much more like just a ***che in comparison to Viverios who's getting a job in the top league in the world moving up from Juniors.

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
Well, probably in both cases, they each have agents who are doing that negotiations and presenting them the options after the teams were finished.

I would like to think thatthis is how it played out. But as @joestevens29 said....Mannys mind was elsewhere during a very important time for his current team. I would understand if they felt slighted.

I think if we're being honest though Jones does seem to come out much more like just a ***che in comparison to Viverios who's getting a job in the top league in the world moving up from Juniors.

Like i said...people dont like Jones so he gets little slack in these parts.. The man really wants to win. I have no issue with that

Jimmi McJenkins

Sometimes miracles
Jan 12, 2006
Alberta
I would like to think thatthis is how it played out. But as @joestevens29 said....Mannys mind was elsewhere during a very important time for his current team. I would understand if they felt slighted.

Like i said...people dont like Jones so he gets little slack in these parts.. The man really wants to win. I have no issue with that
Fair on both points, still think Jones deserves some heat for his behavior, but I would think both coach were "likely" focus on their respectively duties.

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
Because while I don't think it was the most professionally appropriate thing to do, it wasn't a d-bag move like what Jones did.

Doesn't make sense to me...seems very much like a double standard
That being said C'est la vie...you are entitled to feel the way you feel. :nod:

Cloned

Begging for Bega
Aug 25, 2003
Especially when viewed through a subjectively biased lens.

I don't equate a guy who was looking at perhaps a once-in-a-career opportunity to advance to the NHL level and professionally negotiated a deal with a team in a completely different league, with a guy who secretly negotiated with a rival and then took his old team's entire coaching staff with him to said rival in the scummiest way possible.

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
I don't equate a guy who was looking at perhaps a once-in-a-career opportunity to advance to the NHL level and professionally negotiated a deal with a team in a completely different league, with a guy who secretly negotiated with a rival and then took his old team's entire coaching staff with him to said rival in the scummiest way possible.
But Jones was also getting a massive promotion in his mind, something he wasn't going to get here.

Could really careless about taking a coaching staff. Most guys that come in end up hiring a new staff anyway.

If anything you can say what Jones did was actually not as bad. He was in a league that only has 9 teams. Chances like that don't always come up. Where as Viserios had what 31 NHL teams with potentially a hundred assistant roles?

Reactions: guymez

Cloned

Begging for Bega
Aug 25, 2003
But Jones was also getting a massive promotion in his mind, something he wasn't going to get here.

Could really careless about taking a coaching staff. Most guys that come in end up hiring a new staff anyway.

Hey, if Viveiros was coach and GM of the Broncos and he negotiated that way to become President of the Oil Kings, that'd be scummy too. The reality is that the Broncos and the Oilers are not in the same league, they aren't rivals, they aren't competitors in any meaningful way.

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004

To me Jones had a once in a lifetime opportunity to be the Head Coach and GM. A major promotion from being the HC on a team run by Len Rhodes.
He had a chance to have the final say in all things football related and run his own team. Thats a big deal.

Be honest...if the Eskimos weren't the team he vacated I doubt very much you would feel this passionate about it.

Cloned

Begging for Bega
Aug 25, 2003
To me Jones had a once in a lifetime opportunity to be the Head Coach and GM
He had a chance to have the final say in all things football related and run his own team.

Be honest...if the Eskimos weren't the team he vacated I doubt very much you would feel this passionate about it.

Well yes, that's a given. I'd still have no respect for the guy though even if he went from, say Calgary to Saskatchewan or vice versa. It was a d-bag move the whole way through. You don't negotiate with a rival in the same league the way he did and then mercenary away the entire coaching staff like he did. It's a d-bag move. Whether or not the Esks were involved I would still feel the same way.

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
Well yes, that's a given. I'd still have no respect for the guy though even if he went from, say Calgary to Saskatchewan or vice versa. It was a d-bag move the whole way through. You don't negotiate with a rival in the same league the way he did and then mercenary away the entire coaching staff like he did. It's a d-bag move. Whether or not the Esks were involved I would still feel the same way.

I think @joestevens29 was bang on with his last post.
Chris Jones was in a league that only has 9 teams and very few of them have a HC/GM running things.
Chances like that rarely ever come up.

If you really want to compare these situations...from an opportunity perspective what Manny did was worse.

Cloned

Begging for Bega
Aug 25, 2003
I think @joestevens29 was bang on with his last post.
Chris Jones was in a league that only has 9 teams. Chances like that rarely ever come up.

If you really want to compare these situations...from an opportunity perspective what Manny did was worse.

Maybe it's just me but I think these are totally different situations. Viveiros didn't mercenary away the entire Broncos coaching staff with him to the Oilers. The Oilers aren't a direct rival of the Broncos - they aren't even in the same league. He didn't get into a passive-aggressive Cold War with his old team afterwards.

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
Hey, if Viveiros was coach and GM of the Broncos and he negotiated that way to become President of the Oil Kings, that'd be scummy too. The reality is that the Broncos and the Oilers are not in the same league, they aren't rivals, they aren't competitors in any meaningful way.
Well some could spin it that we hired a guy away from our competition in the WHL.

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
Maybe it's just me but I think these are totally different situations. Viveiros didn't mercenary away the entire Broncos coaching staff with him to the Oilers. The Oilers aren't a direct rival of the Broncos - they aren't even in the same league. He didn't get into a passive-aggressive Cold War with his old team afterwards.

Jones didnt force any of those coaches to come to Saskatchewan. If you really take issue with that then you have to point your finger at the League. Its because of their sloppy structure around committed coaches going from one team to another that they were allowed to leave.
You are actually talking about a League issue and lets be honest...this is the CFL we are talking about here.

I am and always will be an Eskimo fan but the CFL is a joke of a League on multiple levels. If its possible to screw something up the CFL will all too often find a way.

Cloned

Begging for Bega
Aug 25, 2003
Jones didnt force any of those coaches to come to Saskatchewan. If you really take issue with that then you have to point your finger at the League. Its because of their sloppy structure around committed coaches going from one team to another that they were allowed to leave.
You are actually talking about a League issue and lets be honest...this is the CFL we are talking about here.
I am and always will be an Eskimo fan but the CFL is a joke of a League on multiple levels. If its possible to screw something up the CFL will all too often find a way.

He could have done the non-scummy, non d-bag thing though. Instead he went about it in literally the most scummy, most d-bag way possible.

The Broncos had nothing but good things to say about Viveiros when he left. The Esks? Well we know what happened there.

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
People can keep making excuses for what Jones did but you can't really spin it any other way: it was a scummy, d-bag move.

Naw...it isnt really.
In any event there are lots of positions to take on this and one position is to name call and be pissed off. :D

Cloned

Begging for Bega
Aug 25, 2003
Naw...it isnt really.
In any event there are lots of positions to take on this and one position is to name call and be pissed off. :D

I didn't say Jones was scum or a d-bag. I said what he did was a scummy d-bag move. ;)

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
He could have done the non-scummy, non d-bag thing though. Instead he went about it in literally the most scummy, most d-bag way possible.

The Broncos had nothing but good things to say about Viveiros when he left. The Esks? Well we know what happened there.

You mean the same organization that released Hervey in the classiest way possible?
So you think that an organization run by Len Rhodes is a reliable source of information?

Man...Jones was smart to get the hell out of Dodge IMO even if it wasn't a promotion. What Len Rhodes and his Edmonton Eskimos say after the fact has little to no credibility IMO.

Reactions: bone

Cloned

Begging for Bega
Aug 25, 2003
You mean the same organization that released Hervey in the classiest way possible?
So you think that an organization run by Len Rhodes is a reliable source of information?

Man...Jones was smart to get the hell out of Dodge IMO even if it wasn't a promotion. What Len hodes and his Edmonton Eskimos say after the fact has little to no credibility IMO.

I'm talking about the way Hervey and Jones had a Cold War of sorts in the media. Nothing to do with Len Rhodes, unless you think Hervey was taking orders from Rhodes to subtly mock Jones at every opportunity.

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
I'm talking about the way Hervey and Jones had a Cold War of sorts in the media. Nothing to do with Len Rhodes, unless you think Hervey was taking orders from Rhodes to subtly mock Jones at every opportunity.

Everything starts at the top. Len Rhodes was running a dysfunctional organization. That much is crystal clear.
Jones and Hervey were not yes men and that appeared to be a problem for poor Lens fragile sensibilities. Its not surprising at all to me that the dysfunction cascaded downward.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad