Elks: Edmonton Eskimo Thread: 2018 Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

abootzky

Jun 15, 2007
I couldn't disagree more.
I dont see how that interview (or any other interview of an Eskimo player) illustrates anything of value about the boss.
Thats like a Liberal party member saying nice things about Justin Trudeau.
It reveals nothing of substance or value and it shouldn't be taken seriously.
I get where you're coming from but I disagree. Having actually heard the Hazelton interview (and its context & tone), this is more than just a case of a Maas supporter (me) hearing what he wants to hear.

Reactions: MoneyGuy

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
I get where you're coming from but I disagree. Having actually heard the Hazelton interview (and its context & tone), this is more than just a case of a Maas supporter (me) hearing what he wants to hear.

How do you know that?

Could it be that the desire to want to believe (for you and other diehard believers) is clouding things just a little?
I mean it wouldn't be the first time a sports fan refused to believe anything that conflicted with his own narrative.

How can you be sure that isnt happening to you?

Last edited:

Cloned

Begging for Bega
Aug 25, 2003
To be honest, I'm actually pretty interested to see how Manziel will do here.

He could actually tear the league up if he's committed to improving his passing game.

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004

He could actually tear the league up if he's committed to improving his passing game.

I agree.

I find the Manziel thing quite intriguing. Its added some fresh air to the CFL pre season IMO.

Oct 15, 2008
Luckily Jason Maas' players aren't only judging him based on what they see on TV or read on the internet. Today, during an excellent interview on TSN1260's Dave Jamieson Show, Vidal Hazelton was the latest of a number of Esks' players to strongly endorse his head coach. The consensus seems to be that, as a former player, Maas is a player's coach whose intensity and competitiveness is something that his guys feed off of and enjoy- not a source of embarrassment to them.
That's why they took undisciplined penalties at an astonishing rate last year. You see what you want to see, I see a guy who lacks self control and doesn't have the character to admit when he has made a mistake. He had to work hard to make me dislike him. I was a big fan of the player, and the coach initially, but he revealed his true character, or really the lack of character, and he shunned any and all opportunities to redeem himself, and now here he is, acting like an ass in the first pre season game. Guy is a complete loser.

Valhallis

Aug 2, 2005
JR Smith summoning his inner-Maas in last night's Cavs-Warriors game. :sarcasm:

I'm actually pretty stoked for this CFL season. I think it'll be a good one with some fresh faces in new places. Love him or hate him I think if Manziel performs well it can be a boon for the league. Since he's arrived, from all the interviews I've watched he's carried himself quite well and is approaching his opportunity the right way. My coaching concerns aside I'm cautiously optimistic about the Esks this year. They look good on paper with some room for improvement. My big worry is that if Mike Reilly goes down ala Trevor Harris last night, we're in deep trouble. Glenn is capable but I wouldn't have faith if we need him starting multiple games.

Grey Cup tix go on sale today at 2:00pm MST. Any other non-season ticket holders buying tickets? I'm hoping to beat the scalpers so wish me luck!

AUAIOMRN

Aug 22, 2005
Edmonton
I notice that one of the EE defensive ends is named "Usher."

I hope he makes the team and turns into a solid player, that way when opposing QB's come to Commonwealth the signs will read "Welcome to the House of Usher."

It was a place where you had best beware, as Poe told us.

Considering the story is called "The Fall of the House of Usher" I think that would be a pretty bad nickname :laugh:

Reactions: Drivesaitl

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009

Curious to see if he's an actual adult now. If you he has a chacnce

Stoneman89

Feb 8, 2008
I think Maas is a pretty bright football mind overall, despite some of the frenzied rhetoric on here when I made a joke of him being less than that. His problem is similar to Kevin Lowe's in my mind. His temper has a way of clouding his judgement when making key decisions at crucial times. Both men were well loved and respected as players. Matter of fact, the very traits that get them in trouble in their post playing days are the same traits that helped make them the great players during the earlier times. I don't care about swearing a blue streak or showing some emotion. This is big boy sports, not little league. But Maas needs to make sure and not cross that line that makes too much emotion a drawback and hinders judgement. Whether he is able to do that in the future remains to be seen. Obviously, being a fan of the team, I am pulling for him to do that. And in doing so he needs to recognize and admit that it can be a problem.

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
I think Maas is a pretty bright football mind overall, despite some of the frenzied rhetoric on here when I made a joke of him being less than that. His problem is similar to Kevin Lowe's in my mind. His temper has a way of clouding his judgement when making key decisions at crucial times. Both men were well loved and respected as players. Matter of fact, the very traits that get them in trouble in their post playing days are the same traits that helped make them the great players during the earlier times. I don't care about swearing a blue streak or showing some emotion. This is big boy sports, not little league. But Maas needs to make sure and not cross that line that makes too much emotion a drawback and hinders judgement. Whether he is able to do that in the future remains to be seen. Obviously, being a fan of the team, I am pulling for him to do that. And in doing so he needs to recognize and admit that it can be a problem.

For me this isn't at all about liking Maas or disliking him. Its about the evidence. The evidence suggests that Maas has a temper problem....that he is a bully. Will that change? We shall see.

I also think its entirely justifiable to question Jasons intelligence and awareness in big game moments. We have only 1 example of his inability to manage this type of situation so until there is another opportunity the conclusion is and has to be that Maas fails in high pressure big game moments.
Will this change....we shall see. For now though the evidence is quite clear.

Last edited:

MoontoScott

Jun 2, 2012
Jenkins released. I thought that he and WR Gibson were the most interesting additions to camp but now one is gone and the other is hurt.

There was never much doubt about the starting QB but I really thought one of the other guys would really push Kevin for that backup spot.

Finding QB's who can actually start is a tough task.

MoneyGuy

Wandering
Oct 19, 2009
Just flew in from Toronto and beside our luggage conveyor at YEG is a large decal (?) depicting a 100-yard CFL field. Wtf? I took a photo and might post it later except I'm lazy.

Reactions: Beerfish

Valhallis

Aug 2, 2005
Just flew in from Toronto and beside our luggage conveyor at YEG is a large decal (?) depicting a 100-yard CFL field. Wtf? I took a photo and might post it later except I'm lazy.
WTF? Was it actually sanctioned by the CFL or did YEG just take it upon themselves to get into the spirit? That's pretty embarrassing and hopefully they can correct it before media gets wind of it. Can you post a photo?

MoneyGuy

Wandering
Oct 19, 2009
WTF? Was it actually sanctioned by the CFL or did YEG just take it upon themselves to get into the spirit? That's pretty embarrassing and hopefully they can correct it before media gets wind of it. Can you post a photo?
I can. I'll have to see if I want to, lol. I do know how. I get busy with two jobs.

MoontoScott

Jun 2, 2012
Impressive...hopefully it wont be -20.

Yeh, that's the only thing but what an impressive stat, 50K+ this far from the actual game. Remember a few years back when Toronto was giving them away in the last weeks as part of a Domino Pizza promotion?

MoneyGuy

Wandering
Oct 19, 2009
I think we topped the average for the last three games within two days, or something. Good job, Edmonton. And all this despite Replacement's disapproval.

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
Yeh, that's the only thing but what an impressive stat, 50K+ this far from the actual game. Remember a few years back when Toronto was giving them away in the last weeks as part of a Domino Pizza promotion?

Its just so damn weather dependent. Yeah some brave souls will go to the game in -20 weather but that would put a serious damper on things. Here's hoping historical weather means nothing and its at least zero degrees on game day.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad