Elks: Edmonton Eskimo Thread: 2018 Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
Yet in the NHL, NFL, NBA, MLB you see guys swearing all the time and they don't get called out for it. Gibbons probably uses more f-bombs in one game then Maas will in a year

McDrai

Mar 29, 2009
All Maas has to do is put his offensive playbook over his mouth when he swears. It's really not that difficult. You see coaches do this in the NFL all the time but Maas seems quite oblivious/careless in this regard.

MoneyGuy

Wandering
Oct 19, 2009
I think we've found our running backs. Those three look really good. Too bad we only have one ball.

Valhallis

Aug 2, 2005
no, we get upset because Maas seems to have no control over his emotions.
This.

Swearing is fine. Football is an intense game and showing emotion is great. Its one of the reasons many of us loved Maas as a player. It's his meltdowns on the sidelines last year that made him look like an ass. I know every players responds differently to all sorts of coaching methods but I have to think that after a while the screaming gets old and the players are going to tune out. I'm not in that locker room though so maybe the players all love it and it fires them up? I can't imagine the refs or other coaches enjoy being yelled at though...

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
I couldn't care less if he swears on the sidelines. I just don't want to see any more of his headset throwing tantrums over bad calls.

I agree.
I think maintaining control over himself (as Gord said) is the main issue here. I dont think that going ballistic helps in any aspect of life especially when you are in charge. Oh...and he can stop being a bully to players and assistant coaches as well. That would be a nice change.
I dont care to see him spitting in another coaches face again....ever.

Maintaining some control would likely help his ability to be a better coach and make better decisions as well.

Posters on here maintained that Maas would grow from this immature nonsense.
I for one would like to see some proof.

Reactions: bone

Cloned

Begging for Bega
Aug 25, 2003
I agree.
I think maintaining control over himself (as Gord said) is the main issue here. I dont think that going ballistic helps in any aspect of life especially when you are in charge. Oh...and he can stop being a bully to players and assistant coaches as well. That would be a nice change.
I dont care to see him spitting in another coaches face again....ever.

Maintaining some control would likely help his ability to be a better coach and make better decisions as well.

Posters on here maintained that Maas would grow from this immature nonsense.
I for one would like to see some proof.

Part of the problem is that his main assistant coach (the vet - Benavides), the guy who would usually talk some sense into Maas, has his own head coaching ambitions and is probably all too happy to see Maas make an ass of himself.

bone

5-14-6-1
Jun 24, 2003
Edmonton
Visit site
Part of the problem is that his main assistant coach (the vet - Benavides), the guy who would usually talk some sense into Maas, has his own head coaching ambitions and is probably all too happy to see Maas make an ass of himself.

Benavides is pretty professional though, so I doubt it's any kind of sabotage of Maas. He is also likley smart enough to not do it in any kind of public forum.

I'm hoping behind closed doors he does speak to him on it when its warranted. And that's not just for swearing on the sidelines, but losing his mind on officials or headsets or assistant coaches. Let's be real, as long as he's prone to those violent outbursts it would be virtually impossible to reign in him swearing, so let's focus on his composure first. Once that's in check then maybe reign in the swearing.

rboomercat90

Mar 24, 2013
Edmonton
Benavides is pretty professional though, so I doubt it's any kind of sabotage of Maas. He is also likley smart enough to not do it in any kind of public forum.

I'm hoping behind closed doors he does speak to him on it when its warranted. And that's not just for swearing on the sidelines, but losing his mind on officials or headsets or assistant coaches. Let's be real, as long as he's prone to those violent outbursts it would be virtually impossible to reign in him swearing, so let's focus on his composure first. Once that's in check then maybe reign in the swearing.
Maas doesn't need anybody sabotaging him. He can do that all by himself.

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004

I am with Bone and rboomercat on this.

This is all on Maas...if he is open to growing as a coach I have no doubt that there are more than a few people around him that will support that.

Paralyzer

Hyman >>> Matthews
Sep 29, 2006
Somewhere Up North
I think we've found our running backs. Those three look really good. Too bad we only have one ball.

I'd try to keep all 3, swap them out as punt/kick returners. They all had a good game yesterday. Rivers seems good too. Funny part I LOVE is how deep our receiving core is. We lost Bowman, but we aren't losing much. Walker, Williams, and Hazelton will lead the way. Not to mention Zylstra could very well come back. We got ourselves a great offensive team now. Very balanced. Let's see if the Defence can pick it up and hold it's own.

I think we can go all the way this year.

Oct 15, 2008
Maas is an ass. He isn't changing. Its just more of the same. In an exhibition game no less. Guy can't even exhibit the smallest inkling of self control and/or class when the result means nothing. It really is too bad because the team looks quite good this year. The gm seems to be pulling his weight. He needs to 86 the child and hire a man to coach the team.

Kyle McMahon

May 10, 2006

And hopefully Maas is bright enough to make sure that ball gets spread around and all three are fully utilized. Run early and often and keep Reilly healthy.

abootzky

Jun 15, 2007
Maas is an ass. He isn't changing. Its just more of the same. In an exhibition game no less. Guy can't even exhibit the smallest inkling of self control and/or class when the result means nothing. It really is too bad because the team looks quite good this year. The gm seems to be pulling his weight. He needs to 86 the child and hire a man to coach the team.
Luckily Jason Maas' players aren't only judging him based on what they see on TV or read on the internet. Today, during an excellent interview on TSN1260's Dave Jamieson Show, Vidal Hazelton was the latest of a number of Esks' players to strongly endorse his head coach. The consensus seems to be that, as a former player, Maas is a player's coach whose intensity and competitiveness is something that his guys feed off of and enjoy- not a source of embarrassment to them.

Last edited:

Cloned

Begging for Bega
Aug 25, 2003
Luckily Jason Maas' players aren't only judging him solely based on what they see on TV or read on the internet. Today, during an excellent interview on TSN1260's Dave Jamieson Show, Vidal Hazelton became the latest of a number of Esks' players to strongly endorse his head coach. The consensus seems to be that, as a former player, Maas is a player's coach whose intensity and competitiveness is something that his guys feed off of and enjoy- not a source of embarrassment to them.

To be fair though, what's he going to say? Saying "my head coach is an idiot who couldn't count properly in the final minutes of an important playoff game" is a good way of never finding employment again.

Reactions: Drivesaitl

abootzky

Jun 15, 2007
To be fair though, what's he going to say? Saying "my head coach is an idiot who couldn't count properly in the final minutes of an important playoff game" is a good way of never finding employment again.
Of course. Hazelton's (and others') comments have an underlying tone of respect to them that actually explains why they seemed to instantly & sincerely forgive JM for his brutal decision much like the Seahawks forgave Pete Carroll after his gaffe in the Superbowl. I think it goes beyond just trying to stay employed though. When the players stop commenting on Maas at all is when I'll start thinking that he's lost their respect.

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
Luckily Jason Maas' players aren't only judging him based on what they see on TV or read on the internet. Today, during an excellent interview on TSN1260's Dave Jamieson Show, Vidal Hazelton was the latest of a number of Esks' players to strongly endorse his head coach. The consensus seems to be that, as a former player, Maas is a player's coach whose intensity and competitiveness is something that his guys feed off of and enjoy- not a source of embarrassment to them.

I couldn't disagree more.
I dont see how that interview (or any other interview of an Eskimo player) illustrates anything of value about the boss.
Thats like a Liberal party member saying nice things about Justin Trudeau.
It reveals nothing of substance or value and it shouldn't be taken seriously.

MoontoScott

Jun 2, 2012
I notice that one of the EE defensive ends is named "Usher."

I hope he makes the team and turns into a solid player, that way when opposing QB's come to Commonwealth the signs will read "Welcome to the House of Usher."

It was a place where you had best beware, as Poe told us.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad