Elks: Edmonton Eskimo Thread: 2018 Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tyrolean

Feb 1, 2004
Zylstra, Cummings, Ladler, Bowers, Franklin are the big losses, plus a couple of O linemen.

Jimmi McJenkins

Sometimes miracles
Jan 12, 2006
Alberta
The controversy will start up again in November. Book it! With the Grey Cup here it's a certainty.
I mean I understand why there's concern and thought to changing it. I mean Eskimo is a general term (from long ago) for all Aboriginal peoples who lived in the North, I'm not part of that minority group, so I won't tell if they should be offended or not.

That said, if the Eskimos worked the Northern peoples and Aboriginal groups, like the Chicago Blackhawks and Florida State with the Seminoles, it would make the name more of a positive thing then it's possibly seen as right now.

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
I mean I understand why there's concern and thought to changing it. I mean Eskimo is a general term (from long ago) for all Aboriginal peoples who lived in the North, I'm not part of that minority group, so I won't tell if they should be offended or not.

That said, if the Eskimos worked the Northern peoples and Aboriginal groups, like the Chicago Blackhawks and Florida State with the Seminoles, it would make the name more of a positive thing then it's possibly seen as right now.
Granted it could've just been Gregor and Mageau putting through callers, but they did have a few Eskimos phone in and say that they take pride in us using their name. It showed their name being used for goodl

MoneyGuy

Wandering
Oct 19, 2009
The Esks are reaching out to the aboriginal community for their views on the team name. They want to know if they're offended.

Jimmi McJenkins

Sometimes miracles
Jan 12, 2006
Alberta
Granted it could've just been Gregor and Mageau putting through callers, but they did have a few Eskimos phone in and say that they take pride in us using their name. It showed their name being used for goodl
That's very possible, and I'm not going to dispute it. I was just suggesting the it's reasonable that some people would want the name changed and that I'm not in a position to tell a minority group whether or not they are offended.

The Esks are reaching out to the aboriginal community for their views on the team name. They want to know if they're offended.
I'm sure they are and I would think they would be. I was just suggesting it's something other places have done to success.

Jumptheshark

Rebooting myself
Oct 12, 2003
Somewhere on Uranus

Blackhawks are named after a WW1 unit

Stoneman89

Feb 8, 2008
I think they already had an informal poll and most of the Inuit have no problem with the name.

Stoneman89

Feb 8, 2008
I wonder how much John Ojo likes Chris Jones now.

So, Jones is supposed to keep a guy that can't cover anymore because he played for him once before?:huh:
This is a business, and a coach's job is to make decisions that are best for the team, not foster friendships. Ojo should be thankful he was at least given a shot in the first place, and then released early to see if he'd like to seek out another opinion.

Last edited:

MoneyGuy

Wandering
Oct 19, 2009
So, Jones is supposed to keep a guy that can't cover anymore because he played for him once before?:huh:
This is a business, and a coach's job is to make decisions that are best for the team, not foster friendships. Ojo should be thankful he was at least given a shot in the first place, and then released early to see if he'd like to seek out another opinion.
Not sure you got my point. I wasn't suggesting Ojo should have been kept around.

MoontoScott

Jun 2, 2012
A very impressive debut from Cooper and it looks like he has decent size as well. It would be great to see both he and Gable on the game day roster.

MoontoScott

Jun 2, 2012
Highlight of the game was Maas dropping a f-bomb on camera

Didn't see that but if true then here we go again.

As for the players, Cooper and Rivers both looked great and I am assuming that they will make the team. Reilly and Glenn are a lock for the 1-2 QB positions.

Williams, Hazelton and Walker also locks at the receiver position. You can't get too much out of an exhibition game but the team did look good.

Tobias Kahun

Oct 3, 2017
Didn't see that but if true then here we go again.

As for the players, Cooper and Rivers both looked great and I am assuming that they will make the team. Reilly and Glenn are a lock for the 1-2 QB positions.

Williams, Hazelton and Walker also locks at the receiver position. You can't get too much out of an exhibition game but the team did look good.
Do people really get that upset that Maas shows some emotion? Yet they also get upset that McLellan shows no emotion.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->