Elks: Edmonton Es---Elks--2022 thread 1-(Jones is back)

Status
Not open for further replies.

brentashton

Jan 21, 2018
I would be very surprised if the Riders didn't make a decent profit this year considering they made a 3.9m profit in 2021 and that was the shortened season. Winnipeg still had a strong season as well and led the league in attendance. Attendance was down pretty much across the league last year though, and is trending in a bad direction. I've always felt that Montreal was one of the better Eastern markets, it's just a shame there's not a team in Quebec City so they could have that nice rivalry that Sask/Win, Edm/Cal, Ham/Tor have.
Yes they did @Dust , however they lost big $$ the year prior with the cancelled season, which basically ate up their stability fund . Last season’s financial statements won’t be out until the AGM in May, will be interested to see if they make enough to erase the rest of the COVID losses. They should depending on what the financial arrangement with the league was for hosting the Grey Cup Game, although it too will be offset with the welfare monies being sent to prop up Montreal. As you say, crowds were down and I heard a lot of people bitching about in stadium food and bev pricing and I understand that the 2 remaining Rider store sales were down too. The old league has issues.

I thought you were going to say he ran the coat check at a little watering hole:sarcasm:
ha ha, lol!

Reactions: bellagiobob

Stoneman89

Feb 8, 2008
100%. The first priority this year getting an early season win at home to get some faith back in the fan base, then they need to parlay it into a playoff appearance. Doesn't matter whether through the East or West and whether they win a game in the playoffs, but they need to make it. Particularly with Montreal imploding a bit, Saskatchewan appearing to be entering Year 3 of them copying Edmonton's master plan from 2017-21, and Ottawa still not having much.
1676414762963.png

Valhallis

Aug 2, 2005
I really like our moves so far. Season (as always) is contingent on having a decent QB and we'll see what TC brings to the table this year.

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
I really like our moves so far. Season (as always) is contingent on having a decent QB and we'll see what TC brings to the table this year.
I think a lot comes down to McAdoo as well.

Having a co-ordinator that calls a game to your players strengths is something a lot of guys in the CFL/NFL don't do.

Trying to run an offense that you think can beat the other team's defense is all fine and dandy, but you better make sure you have the personnel to do it.

Essentially call the game that your players can execute, not a game that you want them to play.

K1984

Feb 7, 2008
I'll be honest, other than hearing of the player of I had no idea who Eugene Lewis was (ie if he was good or not, play style, etc). I almost felt sad that I don't know anything anymore, but is what it is I guess.

On the morning show on 1260 they were trying to dress it up as a marketing coup, but I'm not sure anyone would know who the hell he is. My CFL consumption has dropped to casual interest outside of Edmonton so I'm not the best example, but if I don't know anything about him as a casual fan then how will it possibly drive interest from the general public.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
I'll be honest, other than hearing of the player of I had no idea who Eugene Lewis was (ie if he was good or not, play style, etc). I almost felt sad that I don't know anything anymore, but is what it is I guess.

On the morning show on 1260 they were trying to dress it up as a marketing coup, but I'm not sure anyone would know who the hell he is. My CFL consumption has dropped to casual interest outside of Edmonton so I'm not the best example, but if I don't know anything about him as a casual fan then how will it possibly drive interest from the general public.
Lewis is a decent receiver and strong on the ball. In other wards the exact opposite of what Walker has been. Lewis is reliable and will work to make a catch in tight situations. He's the one coming down with the ball. I love that kind of receiver.

He's turning 30 but seems to be improving every season. Lewis I feel was the best weapon Montreal had.

Reactions: Kyle McMahon

brentashton

Jan 21, 2018
I think a lot comes down to McAdoo as well.

Having a co-ordinator that calls a game to your players strengths is something a lot of guys in the CFL/NFL don't do.

Trying to run an offense that you think can beat the other team's defense is all fine and dandy, but you better make sure you have the personnel to do it.

Essentially call the game that your players can execute, not a game that you want them to play.
This is music to my ears. This goes for any sport really. It has to be a balance between the system you want and what your athletes are capable of. It’s why Jason Maas isn’t in Regina anymore. I used to think that McAdoo was the issue and then Jason showed up.

290 grand. Inflation hitting hard these days.
Holy shite, that’s a great deal.

bellagiobob

Jul 27, 2006

Another head scratcher. Just gave him a two year extension. Unless they offer guaranteed money I wouldn’t sign here if I was a player.

Reactions: Kyle McMahon

Kyle McMahon

May 10, 2006

Another head scratcher. Just gave him a two year extension. Unless they offer guaranteed money I wouldn’t sign here if I was a player.

The number of Canadian offensive linemen shipped out by Jones so far is staggering. Maybe it will work out, but if it doesn't some serious questions will be getting asked.

I was hoping for some defensive upgrades in free agency, but clearly Jones targeted offensive talent. This could work out if he actually manages to scout out some legit gamers to bring into camp this offseason, but that's a big if after what we saw last year.

MoontoScott

Jun 2, 2012
The number of Canadian offensive linemen shipped out by Jones so far is staggering. Maybe it will work out, but if it doesn't some serious questions will be getting asked.

I was hoping for some defensive upgrades in free agency, but clearly Jones targeted offensive talent. This could work out if he actually manages to scout out some legit gamers to bring into camp this offseason, but that's a big if after what we saw last year.
Quite right--defensive backfield is still a concern. Hopefully Chris has found some guys who can tackle. Grymes back again?

Stoneman89

Feb 8, 2008
Quite right--defensive backfield is still a concern. Hopefully Chris has found some guys who can tackle. Grymes back again?
Grymes sounds like he's back in the fold. Not so sure what kind of impact he'll have. I don't think he's ever been the same since he came back from his shot at the NFL. Same with Walker.

bone

5-14-6-1
Jun 24, 2003
Edmonton
Visit site
This is music to my ears. This goes for any sport really. It has to be a balance between the system you want and what your athletes are capable of. It’s why Jason Maas isn’t in Regina anymore. I used to think that McAdoo was the issue and then Jason showed up.

Holy shite, that’s a great deal.
The upper sections closer to the end zones had a huge price drop this year. Even before this deal was announced, my 4 tickets renewed cheaper than the cost of 2 tickets last year. Hopefully it gets some people into the building.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad