Elks: Edmonton Es---Elks--2022 thread 1-(Jones is back)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jumptheshark

Rebooting myself
Oct 12, 2003
Somewhere on Uranus
Other thread blew through 1000 awhile ago and I think it is better to just forget it ever happened

lets see what their plans maybe up to

THE CASE FOR CHRIS JONES: Edmonton Elks looking back to the future? | Edmonton Sun
Elks bring back Jones as head coach and GM - TSN.ca

Jones again? Reminder who he is
Chris Jones (Canadian football coach) - Wikipedia

2022 schedule
Edmonton Elks reveal 2022 schedule; first home game June 18 vs. Riders - Edmonton | Globalnews.ca
Elks-2022-schedule.jpg

his stint was short

Alouettes release QB Harris - TSN.ca

Last edited:

oilers'72

Jul 3, 2006
Red Deer, Alta
Other thread blew through 1000 awhile ago and I think it is better to just forget it ever happened

lets see what their plans maybe up to

THE CASE FOR CHRIS JONES: Edmonton Elks looking back to the future? | Edmonton Sun

Jones again? Reminder who he is
Chris Jones (Canadian football coach) - Wikipedia

2022 schedule
Edmonton Elks reveal 2022 schedule; first home game June 18 vs. Riders - Edmonton | Globalnews.ca
Elks-2022-schedule.jpg

Thanks for the new thread, JTS. Last one was parts 2 through 5 with no interruption. Maybe we can do the same with this one and get it over 5000 posts. :D

Reactions: yukoner88

K1984

Feb 7, 2008
Hilarious that Terry Jones is trying to lead an anti-Jones crusade just because he doesn't answer questions quite how Terry would like.

I understand the hesitation over Jones being a flight risk, but I can't possibly grasp the vitriol from some over this hire along with the conspiracy theories about season ticket holders bolting and the like. Do people have poor memories of winning the Grey Cup or something? The first Jones era was the only one in the past 15 years that in any way resembled the Eskimos of old which is what I thought we were trying to get back to.

Support the hire 100%

bone

5-14-6-1
Jun 24, 2003
Edmonton
Visit site
For maximum hilarity and what will upset the media most in Edmonton, Chris Jones is the best result.

The Elks might even start winning more than they lose! (which I understand hasn't always been their priority)

Hilarious that Terry Jones is trying to lead an anti-Jones crusade just because he doesn't answer questions quite how Terry would like.

I understand the hesitation over Jones being a flight risk, but I can't possibly grasp the vitriol from some over this hire along with the conspiracy theories about season ticket holders bolting and the like. Do people have poor memories of winning the Grey Cup or something? The first Jones era was the only one in the past 15 years that in any way resembled the Eskimos of old which is what I thought we were trying to get back to.

Support the hire 100%
I'm loving how the media (in particular Jones) is out trumpeting that the fans don't want Chris Jones. Based off what I've seen on here and on Elksherd (prev. esksfans), there certainly some strongly opposed but more are in favor of it or at least accepting of it.

The only caveat I have with any Jones hire, is that the President will need to ensure Jones has strong succession planning in place for the eventual departure.

I also question the theory that taking someone other than Jones as GM automatically excludes him from the coaching position (other than potential cap issues). There aren't any more GM jobs just waiting for him. Furthermore, where else is he getting a head coaching gig this year if not in Edmonton?

BC, they've had over a month to fire Campbell and haven't done it. Calgary, why would they fire a lifer like Dickenson. Saskatchewan, why would they fire Dickenson and re-hire the guy that left them most recently. Winnipeg, fat chance. Toronto, Year 1 went pretty well for a rookie coach finishing first in the East. Hamilton, back to back Grey Cup appearance for Steinhauer, though there is a slight flight risk to the US with him. Ottawa, new GM likely gives first year coach a second year to prove it wasn't just personnel (which it likely was). Khari Jones, there was some talk of firing, but I think they would have done so by now if they were going to.

Reactions: bellagiobob

bellagiobob

Jul 27, 2006

Support the hire 100%

Wait, what? If there are actually any season ticket holders left after this last fiasco, they certainly won’t be scared off by the hiring of someone with a track record of always turning the team around and having a winning record.

bellagiobob

Jul 27, 2006

Use this thread

This is like going out with the town tramp for the second time, after she already broke your heart once. You know it’s going to be fun and exciting while you’re together, but you know it’s not going to last very long, and when it’s over you will likely feel used and be in a worse place than you were to begin with, but you just can’t resist the temptation.

bone

5-14-6-1
Jun 24, 2003
Edmonton
Visit site
Wait, what? If there are actually any season ticket holders left after this last fiasco, they certainly won’t be scared off by the hiring of someone with a track record of always turning the team around and having a winning record.

All it took to save me was firing BS to keep my tickets. The other two firings convinced me they will at least try to get this right.

The only person the team could hire that would make me change my mind is hiring Tillman again (well maybe Reed as well but for different reasons than Tillman).

bone

5-14-6-1
Jun 24, 2003
Edmonton
Visit site
This is like going out with the town tramp for the second time, after she already broke your heart once. You know it’s going to be fun and exciting while you’re together, but you know it’s not going to last very long, and when it’s over you will likely feel used and be in a worse place than you were to begin with, but you just can’t resist the temptation.

Yeah, but if you go into it knowing it won't last, just enjoy the ride and don't get too attached. After some good times (playoff runs or Grey Cups), you can look for marriage material with the next relationship.

In many ways equate it to the rebound after a failed relationship. Get out have a good time and look to settle down in your next relationship.

K1984

Feb 7, 2008

Minds work in mysterious ways.

Saw a few folks on twitter alleging that Jones was the original cause of the cultural issues and it was all downhill after he came aboard. It's such an incorrect and frankly bizarre take that I can't figure out where it comes from. Terry Jones repeatedly hits with the K-Days charity pull out from like 7 years ago as the example (fair enough as not a good thing), but it was one incident surrounded by a lot of winning including a very tight dressing room and team culture. Several times in the summer of 2015 I saw groups of 6-8+ Eskimo players out and about on off days having fun. Things were clicking.

But they made a mistake of skipping a charity event once, so that trumps all I guess.

bellagiobob

Jul 27, 2006

Saw a few folks on twitter alleging that Jones was the original cause of the cultural issues and it was all downhill after he came aboard. It's such an incorrect and frankly bizarre take that I can't figure out where it comes from. Terry Jones repeatedly hits with the K-Days charity pull out from like 7 years ago as the example (fair enough as not a good thing), but it was one incident surrounded by a lot of winning including a very tight dressing room and team culture. Several times in the summer of 2015 I saw groups of 6-8+ Eskimo players out and about on off days having fun. Things were clicking.

But they made a mistake of skipping a charity event once, so that trumps all I guess.

The one thing that is consistent about Jones is wherever he goes, the players follow. Clearly he’s a guy that players love playing for, which is at the top of my list in things I want in a coach. Don’t really care if he withholds donuts from the media. ;)

Reactions: K1984

bone

5-14-6-1
Jun 24, 2003
Edmonton
Visit site
The one thing that is consistent about Jones is wherever he goes, the players follow. Clearly he’s a guy that players love playing for, which is at the top of my list in things I want in a coach. Don’t really care if he withholds donuts from the media. ;)

Derrick Dennis ain't a fan. Though I'm not sure that matters to me. I've enjoyed following him though.

Gunnersaurus Rex

Jan 14, 2008
Not excited about the potential of Jones coming back....at all !! Seem like a desperation move by the EEFC and I have a feeling this will backfire big time for the team. Hope I'm wrong.

Dust

Sponsor
Apr 20, 2016
You know he's going to be looking for bigger and brighter opportunities at any moment but... he has a track record of winning across the league, and a lot of players like playing for him. It might only be a 2 season thing, but I would expect a much higher level of play from EE with him there.

Cerebral

Aug 4, 2003
Calgary, Alberta
Jones will bolt the second he gets a perceived "better opportunity"
good coach but don't like the hire
I HATED Jones when he jumped ship but I wonder if he's in a different stage of his career at this point. He wanted to make the jump to the NFL, gave it a shot, and it didn't really work out. He certainly could still be looking to move up but he's 54 now and having the GM and Head Coach roles is a pretty decent gig.

I'm not entirely sold on him holding down both spots but he's the #1 coach I want at this point.

Jumptheshark

Rebooting myself
Oct 12, 2003
Somewhere on Uranus
I HATED Jones when he jumped ship but I wonder if he's in a different stage of his career at this point. He wanted to make the jump to the NFL, gave it a shot, and it didn't really work out. He certainly could still be looking to move up but he's 54 now and having the GM and Head Coach roles is a pretty decent gig.

I'm not entirely sold on him holding down both spots but he's the #1 coach I want at this point.

I was looking at his track record lately--he has bounced around

CantHaveTkachev

Legends
Nov 30, 2004
St. OILbert, AB

didn't he bolt to the Riders after the Esks?

Reactions: Jimmi McJenkins

Tad Mikowsky

Only Droods
Sponsor
Jun 30, 2008
Edmonton
Just what the Elks needed: a retread.

At least this retread is not awful as a coach, but I won’t be shocked when he bails in a year or two.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting

The selective media have become a wind tunnel of nothing. Essentially media like the Journal, they have a few beat sports writers who have shared the same information and ideas for decades. Its old blood and it not even recycled.

The mode of print medium is that theres essentially limited response. Letters to the editor. Until Social media came along there wasn't really even any medium in which to discuss or counter sports journalists

It was so telling when some of them forayed onto hfboards how unable they were in withstanding countering opinions. Like for instance any of us here face rebuttal, and even harsh rebuttal at times, and despite it being unpleasant, I think its healthy, and can only comment on myself, but I purposely expose myself to feedback, at least when I perceive it being helpful feedback. But the journalists that posted here, they wouldn't even take constructive feedback. Their basic response is I'm a paid journalist, I'm not taking your feedback. One of them wanted us to all name ourselves before responding..

Reactions: oilers'72

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting

I just looked at it as somebody being very marketable and taking advantage of opportunity as many people would. I don't mind Jones approach, and that he likes challenge, and will take on challenge here and he helped us here, and he helped other clubs since. He's better than what we had. He's the best of what we have had.

Even if he's here on limited window, thats the time frame it takes to go from last place to Grey Cup in CFL. But how knows, maybe ends up retiring here. You never know.

Reactions: MessierII and Oil53
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad