Elks: Edmonton Es---Elks--2022 thread 1-(Jones is back)

Status
Not open for further replies.

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
He actually said it was both for family reasons and an NFL opportunity. Per the link I posted a few posts above.
I find it a little odd that there would be much NFL opportunity for him at his age, but I guess he did bounce around the NFL with a bunch of teams and some teams multiple times.

That and I guess going to New Orleans to play is probably a smart decision as who the heck knows what they really have going on at QB at the NFL level :laugh:

I think it remains to be seen how USFL/XFL and CFL will interact. Their rule that only exempts them from the contract for NFL purposes, not rival leagues, was moreso likely to directly compete with the XFL than the CFL as I doubt XFL and USFL truly see the CFL as a rival for anything more than player recruitment.

CFL isn't a real risk to viewership or attendance (especially with XFL since their seasons don't overlap). so whichever league decides to play nicer with the CFL could benefit from being more cooperative with the CFL as it would serve them well in terms of recruitment if players know that if their XFL or USFL season doesn't generate interest from the NFL they can still come to the CFL (and vice versa) and essentially collect two paycheques.
It really sounded like the XFL wanted to do something with the CFL, but the CFL ownership groups couldn't all come together and think as one.

Hopefully the XFL didn't take offense to this.

bone

5-14-6-1
Jun 24, 2003
Edmonton
Visit site
I find it a little odd that there would be much NFL opportunity for him at his age, but I guess he did bounce around the NFL with a bunch of teams and some teams multiple times.

That and I guess going to New Orleans to play is probably a smart decision as who the heck knows what they really have going on at QB at the NFL level :laugh:

It really sounded like the XFL wanted to do something with the CFL, but the CFL ownership groups couldn't all come together and think as one.

Hopefully the XFL didn't take offense to this.

Depends what the ask was. If it was playing against each other, and significantly modifying rules to accommodate American audience, then they were right to walk away from it as the schedules could never reasonably line up to serve both leagues' best interest.

If the ask was a mutually beneficial agreement about player movement, then it was dumb for them to walk away. It never really was clarified what the expectation was.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad