Elks: Edmonton Es---Elks--2022 thread 1-(Jones is back)

Status
Not open for further replies.

MoontoScott

Jun 2, 2012
The team actually is shaping up pretty nicely. Question marks at QB obviously but if someone emerges they could have a big bounce back season.
I like the revamp of the receiving core. 2 all-stars and both have several seasons left in the tank.

I wonder if the Alouettes will now try to sign Walker at a reduced rate? I also wonder where Ellingson is going.

MoneyGuy

Wandering
Oct 19, 2009
I’m not sure that paying big money to receivers without an elite QB to get them the ball (at the expense of players down the roster such as special teams) is a winning strategy.

Reactions: bellagiobob

bellagiobob

Jul 27, 2006
I’m not sure that paying big money to receivers without an elite QB to get them the ball (at the expense of players down the roster such as special teams) is a winning strategy.
Having the most expensive receiver in the league last year resulted in zero home game wins, so it’s a tried and true strategy. ;). In all seriousness, this is a team that has to make the playoffs this year in order to survive long term. With an all star receiving corp, a good running back, we just need a decent game management QB who can get our stars the ball and basically just not get in the way.

Last edited:

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
Its fair comment. But we didn't even have Lawler much of last season due to injuries. The team many games played without even a legit back. The hope is now that with Brown, and some pack of Receiver weapons that the team can have a good offense. Corn is also underated at running the ball and a handful himself in that regard. The team is banking that they will have good enough QB's and realistically in the CFL QB's we see here are rarely stellar. Allstar Receivers can often pad stats of a QB and make them look better than they are. for instance winning 50/50 balls, running sharp routes, being open. This offense looks packed on paper.

Hopefully we have some semblance of special teams this season. That really cost us a lot last season. Our special teams are so bad its like spotting teams around 10pts a game.

Kyle McMahon

May 10, 2006
They do take us for fools. But there still could be a buyer in the wings.

Gary Stern with an ill timed purchase of the club because of COVID, pissed money the past 3 years, walked away probably because of the structure of the offer and deal. I’m thinking the proposed purchase price probably didn’t involve any assumption of prior debts incurred to date and Stern would continue to rack them up until the deal closed and the purchase of a few assets, like old footballs, uniforms with mothball holes, training sleds, club trademarks and rights to the CFL wouldn’t cover the subsequent carrying costs until closing, so he cut bait now.

I believe the problem started when Stern's partner, Sid Speigel, died quite soon after they bought the team. Speigel's estate wanted his share of the Als (I think he was either majority owner or at least 50/50) liquidated as soon as possible. Stern was either unable or unwilling to buy them out, and here we stand.

Not uncommon for the CFL to take control of a derelict Eastern team, but the difference now is that the Eskimos don't exist to pay their bills. According to Dan Barnes, the Esks, Riders, and Bombers all paid out over half a million to Montreal to keep them afloat in 2019. Do they have the ability to do so again? Maybe Winnipeg, doubtful for the others.

This upcoming season might be the most important in CFL history. If fan interest levels continue to trend down it might be approaching the point of no return. I will never forgive the franchise for the name change, but I suppose I'll buy a few season tickets this year, who knows if the league will even exist in three years. They better damn well be selling beer at semi-reasonable prices.

brentashton

Jan 21, 2018
I believe the problem started when Stern's partner, Sid Speigel, died quite soon after they bought the team. Speigel's estate wanted his share of the Als (I think he was either majority owner or at least 50/50) liquidated as soon as possible. Stern was either unable or unwilling to buy them out, and here we stand.

Not uncommon for the CFL to take control of a derelict Eastern team, but the difference now is that the Eskimos don't exist to pay their bills. According to Dan Barnes, the Esks, Riders, and Bombers all paid out over half a million to Montreal to keep them afloat in 2019. Do they have the ability to do so again? Maybe Winnipeg, doubtful for the others.

This upcoming season might be the most important in CFL history. If fan interest levels continue to trend down it might be approaching the point of no return. I will never forgive the franchise for the name change, but I suppose I'll buy a few season tickets this year, who knows if the league will even exist in three years. They better damn well be selling beer at semi-reasonable prices.
And his partner was also his father in law so it wasn’t an easy transition either way.

To your bolded, given that they are fully out of COVID issues, but now the Mtl mess, dearth of quality QBs league wide, lack of or declining fan interest in key markets like Edmonton, Regina and Calgary, Randy still steering the ship like a frat boy after an all weekend kegger, I can’t agree more heartily.(and they’ve had more than a few pivotal seasons in their 100 year+ history).

Paralyzer

Hyman >>> Matthews
Sep 29, 2006
Somewhere Up North

Watch, Elks sign Derek Carr, CFL goes crazy, Jones signs him for 500k, but Elks sneak in another 40M from uncle Daryl's deep pockets to get people to come watch the Elks. It's a sure-fire plan!

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009

Hopefully he doesn't get released like the last ex-Steeler WR we signed :laugh:

Watch, Elks sign Derek Carr, CFL goes crazy, Jones signs him for 500k, but Elks sneak in another 40M from uncle Daryl's deep pockets to get people to come watch the Elks. It's a sure-fire plan!

Thought Carr was going to be dealt to New Orleans, but then contract became an issue. Could see him signing there now.

bellagiobob

Jul 27, 2006
Elks up? I thought it was antlers up?
If you have $100 you can pick this months slogan. As long as it's cringeworthy. ;)

Hopefully he doesn't get released like the last ex-Steeler WR we signed :laugh:

Thought Carr was going to be dealt to New Orleans, but then contract became an issue. Could see him signing there now.
Carr with a nice FU to the Raiders. Vetoed all trades so that he could sign where he wanted to.

Reactions: Paralyzer

Dust

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 20, 2016

I would be very surprised if the Riders didn't make a decent profit this year considering they made a 3.9m profit in 2021 and that was the shortened season. Winnipeg still had a strong season as well and led the league in attendance. Attendance was down pretty much across the league last year though, and is trending in a bad direction. I've always felt that Montreal was one of the better Eastern markets, it's just a shame there's not a team in Quebec City so they could have that nice rivalry that Sask/Win, Edm/Cal, Ham/Tor have.

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
If you have $100 you can pick this months slogan. As long as it's cringeworthy. ;)

Carr with a nice FU to the Raiders. Vetoed all trades so that he could sign where he wanted to.
NFL teams are so stupid his name started being dragged through the mud far too early, then what's going to be the narrative now? He's an asshole?

bone

5-14-6-1
Jun 24, 2003
Edmonton
Visit site
Having the most expensive receiver in the league last year resulted in zero home game wins, so it’s a tried and true strategy. ;). In all seriousness, this is a team that has to make the playoffs this year in order to survive long term. With an all star receiving corp, a good running back, we just need a decent game management QB who can get our stars the ball and basically just not get in the way.

100%. The first priority this year getting an early season win at home to get some faith back in the fan base, then they need to parlay it into a playoff appearance. Doesn't matter whether through the East or West and whether they win a game in the playoffs, but they need to make it. Particularly with Montreal imploding a bit, Saskatchewan appearing to be entering Year 3 of them copying Edmonton's master plan from 2017-21, and Ottawa still not having much.

Kyle McMahon

May 10, 2006
I would be very surprised if the Riders didn't make a decent profit this year considering they made a 3.9m profit in 2021 and that was the shortened season. Winnipeg still had a strong season as well and led the league in attendance. Attendance was down pretty much across the league last year though, and is trending in a bad direction. I've always felt that Montreal was one of the better Eastern markets, it's just a shame there's not a team in Quebec City so they could have that nice rivalry that Sask/Win, Edm/Cal, Ham/Tor have.

I thought that part of the reason they didn't fire Dickenson was due to money problems, though its possible that only referred to the coaching salary cap being the problem. So maybe they still turned a decent profit at the gate, but Mosaic looked much more empty than usual last season. I think Montreal has generally supported their team over the years, just hurts that they can only get 20k into Molson stadium, so there's no big marquee game that can make up for non-sellouts.

brentashton

Jan 21, 2018
Sammie Coates? Holy hell how old is he has to be well over 30?

Gee only 29 he has been around forever.
The name reminds me…anyone remember Sammy Greene, ex CFL player?

He used to bartend in a little watering hole across from the UofS campus in the early 1980s. I’m sure it was a financial need but the dude always had a bevy of young university gals hanging out at the bar too. Watta life!

Reactions: Beerfish

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
The name reminds me…anyone remember Sammy Greene, ex CFL player?

He used to bartend in a little watering hole across from the UofS campus in the early 1980s. I’m sure it was a financial need but the dude always had a bevy of young university gals hanging out at the bar too. Watta life!

I thought you were going to say he ran the coat check at a little watering hole:sarcasm:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad