Elks: Edmonton Es---Elks--2022 thread 1-(Jones is back)

Status
Not open for further replies.

brentashton

Jan 21, 2018
His dad had quite a lengthy mediocre NFL career. Most passing yards of anyone not in the hall of fame, but a winning record only 4 of the 20 years he played (some were as a backup).

Otherwise can't find much on him.
Vincent… at least his dad had some moxie and went by the moniker Vinnie. Dad also was a Heisman winner if I recall.

Stoneman89

Feb 8, 2008
Vincent… at least his dad had some moxie and went by the moniker Vinnie. Dad also was a Heisman winner if I recall.
Gawd, we're getting old.I remember the old man as well, think he played for the Bucs. And yes, I think he was a pretty decorated collegiate grad.

Reactions: scott57

bellagiobob

Jul 27, 2006
Gawd, we're getting old.I remember the old man as well, think he played for the Bucs. And yes, I think he was a pretty decorated collegiate grad.
You clearly have the year 2004 blanked out of your memory, cause he played for your 'Boys that year. Lead the league in interceptions that year. ;)

Reactions: Stoneman89

bone

5-14-6-1
Jun 24, 2003
Edmonton
Visit site
Probably why he blanked on it.
For me, it was just his name that brought a memory. As soon as I saw the name it rang a bell as it is a memorable sounding name. so I went to see if it was because he was ever in the CFL and that's when I found the 20 year career of someone who never really accomplished anything but played forever.

Reactions: bellagiobob

MoneyGuy

Wandering
Oct 19, 2009
True, at one time the CFL paid as well or better than did the NFL. We also traded between leagues, at least once that I recall.

Reactions: Beerfish

bellagiobob

Jul 27, 2006

Litre was nothing special. Just meh. But the lack of quality Cdn content in the league is a concern. Would think it wouldn’t be that difficult to find a decent blocking fullback.

bellagiobob

Jul 27, 2006
Yes that's my underlying point from my earlier post.

Some of these transactions are truly bizarre and its not a trend that the Eskies should continue.
It reeks of incompetence. And it’s embarrassing that it’s continuing. How can players trust the organization.

Reactions: Stoneman89

SupremeTeam16

5-14-6-1
May 31, 2013
Baker’s Bay
League takes control of the Alouettes… again.

In their release the league says there’s already been several groups express serious interest in purchasing the team. What a laugh considering it was just handed over to the league for nothing because they couldn’t find a buyer.

brentashton

Jan 21, 2018
League takes control of the Alouettes… again.

In their release the league says there’s already been several groups express serious interest in purchasing the team. What a laugh considering it was just handed over to the league for nothing because they couldn’t find a buyer.
They do take us for fools. But there still could be a buyer in the wings.

Gary Stern with an ill timed purchase of the club because of COVID, pissed money the past 3 years, walked away probably because of the structure of the offer and deal. I’m thinking the proposed purchase price probably didn’t involve any assumption of prior debts incurred to date and Stern would continue to rack them up until the deal closed and the purchase of a few assets, like old footballs, uniforms with mothball holes, training sleds, club trademarks and rights to the CFL wouldn’t cover the subsequent carrying costs until closing, so he cut bait now.

MoontoScott

Jun 2, 2012
They do take us for fools. But there still could be a buyer in the wings.

Gary Stern with an ill timed purchase of the club because of COVID, pissed money the past 3 years, walked away probably because of the structure of the offer and deal. I’m thinking the proposed purchase price probably didn’t involve any assumption of prior debts incurred to date and Stern would continue to rack them up until the deal closed and the purchase of a few assets, like old footballs, uniforms with mothball holes, training sleds, club trademarks and rights to the CFL wouldn’t cover the subsequent carrying costs until closing, so he cut bait now.
"Hi Vic, this is Randy--how are you doing today?"

"Up until the phone rang I was having a good day Randy"

"Say Vic, there is something left in that Eskimo stabilization fund, right?"

"Well Randy we are called the Elks now but yes there was some money left there as of yesterday."

"Good Vic because MLSE just hung up on me."

"Did they?-- ok I'll give you the account number but remember we have to pay our players too."

"Thanks Vic"

"Yup, have a good one Randy."

brentashton

Jan 21, 2018
"Hi Vic, this is Randy--how are you doing today?"

"Up until the phone rang I was having a good day Randy"

"Say Vic, there is something left in that Eskimo stabilization fund, right?"

"Well Randy we are called the Elks now but yes there was some money left there as of yesterday."

"Good Vic because MLSE just hung up on me."

"Did they?-- ok I'll give you the account number but remember we have to pay our players too."

"Thanks Vic"

"Yup, have a good one Randy."
Riders pissed their very substantial rainy day fund away during Randy’s handling of COVID as well. I’m sure the league is on tenuous footings, which since before and after Mark Cohon, has really always been its basic status.

Tobias Kahun

Oct 3, 2017
Those that know me well, know that I always have 50 bucks cash in my pocket (and some bills in the house as you suggest). I guess I’m an old f***er, but I feel absolutely naked without a few bills in my jeans. The problem is when you go use it nowadays, no one wants it. Went to the RaptorsvSuns game last week and every concession was cashless. You have to use a reverse ATM to deposit your cash and get a loaded Visa card to transact anywhere at the entire stadium.
Even as someone who is younger and uses credit for most things, I still carry a little cash on me and have some at home for a rainy day

MoontoScott

Jun 2, 2012
Riders pissed their very substantial rainy day fund away during Randy’s handling of COVID as well. I’m sure the league is on tenuous footings, which since before and after Mark Cohon, has really always been its basic status.
You can't blame Randy for COVID but when you go to the Feds with a multi-million dollar bail out request and you don't so much as have a business plan............

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad