Confirmed with Link: [EDM/TBL] Sam Gagner For Teddy Purcell; Then TBL Trades Gagner to ARZ

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cawz

Sep 18, 2003
Oiler fan in Calgary
Visit site
The Oilers want to trade Gagner out of conference, do so, and then are "surprised" when Gagner gets traded back to own division with Oilers inexplicably helping another division rival because, well, why not..

Sure looked like the Oilers did due diligence concerning Tampa's motivation and intent.:sarcasm:

ps and lol at Howson's quotes in general. Size is important when a guy isn't physical..

Tampa's motivation and intent? How are you supposed to do due diligence on that? Their intent was to buy him out until the Yotes called. You are criticizing management for not seeing into the future to know what the Lightning are going to do before they know themselves.

And why are you laughing at Howsons comments? I'm happy to see they acknowledge what they acquired instead of assuming he's going to be a physical player due to his size.

Moose Coleman

Apr 12, 2012
The Oilers want to trade Gagner out of conference, do so, and then are "surprised" when Gagner gets traded back to own division with Oilers inexplicably helping another division rival because, well, why not..

Sure looked like the Oilers did due diligence concerning Tampa's motivation and intent.:sarcasm:

ps and lol at Howson's quotes in general. Size is important when a guy isn't physical..

You're a fan of Dustin Penner. :help:

Replacement*

Checked out
Apr 15, 2005
Hiking
Tampa's motivation and intent? How are you supposed to do due diligence on that? Their intent was to buy him out until the Yotes called. You are criticizing management for not seeing into the future to know what the Lightning are going to do before they know themselves.
And why are you laughing at Howsons comments? I'm happy to see they acknowledge what they acquired instead of assuming he's going to be a physical player due to his size.

Tampa had Gagner for all of 10minutes. if this doesn't spell they knew what they were doing I don't know what..

Sure the Oilers can't read minds but one would think you suss out whether a team is or isn't at all interested in a player. For instance in negotiating to see what they consider giving you for said player. But I imagine the Oil don't do a lot of that hard negotiating either.

Good deal for Phoenix anyway. That should help us..:sarcasm:

Replacement*

Checked out
Apr 15, 2005
Hiking
You're a fan of Dustin Penner. :help:

Not really. I won the Pennerbets arguing with this entire board how they were overrating Penner. I had to learn to like Penner which given the horrible Quinn year Penner was the only thing I could like on this club.

Penner not using his size to effect most of the time drove me crazy. I was in favor of the MacT benchings etc.

My ongoing take is Penner had some value. To say I'm a fan of Dustin Penner, lol, I was one of his biggest detractors for the brunt of the time he spent here. This not to be confused with not liking the trade at the time and not having faith in the Oil finding any nuts.

Moose Coleman

Apr 12, 2012
Not really. I won the Pennerbets arguing with this entire board how they were overrating Penner. I had to learn to like Penner which given the horrible Quinn year Penner was the only thing I could like on this club.

My ongoing take is Penner had some value. To say I'm a fan of Dustin Penner, lol, I was one of his biggest detractors for the brunt of the time he spent here. This not to be confused with not liking the trade at the time and not having faith in the Oil finding any nuts.

Point I was making is Penner is Exhibit A of how a guy with size doesn't need to be physical for it to be an asset.

OF17

Dec 2, 2007
en France
Tampa had Gagner for all of 10minutes. if this doesn't spell they knew what they were doing I don't know what..

Sure the Oilers can't read minds but one would think you suss out whether a team is or isn't at all interested in a player. For instance in negotiating to see what they consider giving you for said player. But I imagine the Oil don't do a lot of that hard negotiating either.

So Arizona gives up a 6th. Maloney said that he talked to MacTavish yesterday morning, called back, and Gagner was already traded. Do you honestly think that Arizona would've given up more than Purcell? A 6th for Gagner with 1/3 retained. If that's the kind of deal that Maloney was hawking, and given that MacTavish didn't trade Gagner to Arizona earlier yesterday, that seems likely, do you honestly think that this would've made a hint of difference in the deal? Or are you trying to pinpoint anything possible to complain about?

Soli

Supervision Required
Sep 8, 2005
@OilersNow
"I like to pride myself on handling the puck, protecting the puck and making plays." Purcell on Oilers Now.

Cawz

Sep 18, 2003
Oiler fan in Calgary
Visit site

They were going to buy him out until the Yotes called. Thats been pretty widely reported. Go look it up.

But why should they even care if they are interested in a player? Its not like they should nix the deal if Gagner's going to get flipped. We traded a small player with flaws for a bigger player with flaws. Who cares is Gags is back in our division.

Ritchie Valens

Sep 24, 2007
From what I gathered on TSN, MacT called Maloney but never heard back so he approached Yzerman. By the time Maloney returned his call, Mactavish told him he had a verbal agreement with the Bolts. That tweet that was sent out saying Gagner was to be bought out was deleted because Maloney approached Yzerman and were negotiating, so apparently there is truth to the tweet. According to Maloney, he wanted Gagner badly to replace Reibeiro and didnt want to compete with other teams if he became a UFA so he traded for him since he was going to be bought out. Yzerman retained 1/3 of his salary as that would have been the cost to buy him out anyways.

Replacement*

Checked out
Apr 15, 2005
Hiking
Point I was making is Penner is Exhibit A of how a guy with size doesn't need to be physical for it to be an asset.

No, you're correct in that. Maybe Purcell will be better sheltering puck then I think. Still don't know what a possession stat is though.

Are people seriously describing Corsi as an individual determinate possession stat now?

Corsi is a by proxy metric for team run of play. Not even an entirely substantiated one. If people are suggesting Purcell is a good individual "possession" player based on playing on one of the very few good EC teams then that thinking is incomplete.

Replacement*

Checked out
Apr 15, 2005
Hiking
They were going to buy him out until the Yotes called. Thats been pretty widely reported. Go look it up.

But why should they even care if they are interested in a player? Its not like they should nix the deal if Gagner's going to get flipped. We traded a small player with flaws for a bigger player with flaws. Who cares is Gags is back in our division.

If you have to ask that you won't like the answer. Phoenix is one of the few other clubs in the division that didn't have a stellar year last season and they needed some help filling out their roster and adding a topsix guy. They also needed help doing this on the cheap.

not to worry here come the Oilers bearing gifts..although regifted it was a pretty good present. Anybody in Phoenix thinks so.

Jamin

Aug 25, 2009
If you have to ask that you won't like the answer. Phoenix is one of the few other clubs in the division that didn't have a stellar year last season and they needed some help filling out their roster and adding a topsix guy. They also needed help doing this on the cheap.

not to worry here come the Oilers bearing gifts..although regifted it was a pretty good present. Anybody in Phoenix thinks so.

You should check out the posts above yours or do some twitter research

oobga

Tier 2 Fan
Aug 1, 2003
No, you're correct in that. Maybe Purcell will be better sheltering puck then I think. Still don't know what a possession stat is though.

Are people seriously describing Corsi as an individual determinate possession stat now?

Corsi is a by proxy metric for team run of play. Not even an entirely substantiated one. If people are suggesting Purcell is a good individual "possession" player based on playing on one of the very few good EC teams then that thinking is incomplete.

You can also get corsi stats for a player where you see how other players perform with and without him on the ice. Purcell looks good with those, Gagner on the other hand...you can see very obviously how he pulled down Perron, Hall, Eberle, Marincin, Hemsky and others. The only guy that played with him a decent amount of time that had noticeably better possession stats with Gags was Yakupov, which is kind of odd...maybe it's because usually only took 1 shot for teams to score with both of them out there because it was basically a 5 on 3 with the slot wide open when the puck got into our end. So, as long as Gags and Yak managed to toss a puck towards the opposing net once in the shift, they could get off the ice as 50% corsi players but with a minus 1 :)

For Purcell, pretty much everyone except Barberio and Sustr (skaters he had the 8th and 10th most ice time with) had better possession numbers with him on the ice than without at even strength last season.

Last edited:

Cloned

Begging for Bega
Aug 25, 2003
IF they got the puck, pretty slow line. I think Yaks still has to be on the right side there.

Hall - Nuge - Purcell

could actually be a great line.

Putting Yakupov on a line with Draisaitl at this point will be a defensive disaster.

Cloned

Begging for Bega
Aug 25, 2003
Thats why you have Perron out there.

I agree, but, Driasaitl and Yaks makes too much sense going forward.

Perron isn't a great two-way forward either. He's better than Draisaitl and Yakupov, but his presence alone isn't enough to make that line viable. It'd be guaranteed gong show in their own zone once the other team got the puck.

McShogun99

Aug 30, 2009
Edmonton
I'm probably the minority on here for wanting to give Gagner one more season to redeem himself and to shelter Draisaitl. Here's to hoping we sign a 2C tomorrow.

Seachd

Mar 16, 2002

You make a lot of reaches, but this one ranks among the all-time highest in ridiculousness. You probably can't even be taking yourself seriously right about now.

McDNicks17

Jul 1, 2010
Ontario
Looks like the Oilers are going to have a good shot at McDavid.

If only Gagner was traded outside the Pacific. They might have had a chance at the playoffs.

Cloned

Begging for Bega
Aug 25, 2003
Looks like the Oilers are going to have a good shot at McDavid.

If only Gagner was traded outside the Pacific. They might have had a chance at the playoffs.

It's become painfully apparent that the real team building only started once Tambellini was fired.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad