Confirmed with Link: [EDM/TBL] Sam Gagner For Teddy Purcell; Then TBL Trades Gagner to ARZ

Status
Not open for further replies.

oil Leaks

The Ultimate Decoy
Jul 5, 2011
Depending on what line he plays on pp time I can see him get aroung 40-45 points. Maybe 15 goals and ~27 assists.

ponokanocker

Nov 17, 2009
We'll be lucky to see 30-35 points from Purcell this season. 10 goals, 20-25 helpers.

That's not too bad if he has one of the top corsi ratings, like he did in TB. Unfortunately Gagner's horrible corsi rating really hurt this team.

oilborn

Jun 25, 2009
One thing I think a lot of you are missing here is games missed due to injury.
Every season gagner is injured due to his size. He is unevenly matched on the ice.
Gagner's last few seasons
2010/11 GP 68
2011/12 GP 75
2012/13 GP 48
2013/13 GP 67

Purcell's
2010/11 GP 81
2011/12 GP 81
2012/13 GP 48
2013/13 GP 81

Purcell just does not miss games. We need stability in our lineup instead of losing games to minor league callups. Every year we expect the big injury bug to hit because our guys are smaller and weaker. Imagine not having to expect injuries....

Last edited:

Aerchon

Jul 20, 2011
We'll be lucky to see 30-35 points from Purcell this season. 10 goals, 20-25 helpers.

I think and hope he will be used like a traditional top 9 forward. Moving up and down the line-up with his play. With the talent we have I think he will pot at least 15 goals and by all accounts is a solid play maker... 40 points absolute lowest I can see him getting with this group. 60 not impossible.

If we spread our scoring out over three lines (supposedly what Mac T wants) there is no reason we will not be seeing him on the top line every now and then.

oobga

Tier 2 Fan
Aug 1, 2003
That's not too bad if he has one of the top corsi ratings, like he did in TB. Unfortunately Gagner's horrible corsi rating really hurt this team.

Yup, if he ends up on the 3rd line and he can help drive play and put up ~40 points, he did his job well. We already know what we get from Gags. A guy that needs Hall or Ebs to score points while he drags them in the corsi gutter (sorry, but this team is at the point where we can't sacrifice playing good hockey to try to elevate Gags' trade value), and aside from that, basically a 4 on 5 if the puck is in our zone and he's out there at ES.

CorpseFX

Feb 9, 2007
Milwaukee
glad Gagner is finally gone. the kid was such an underwhelming baddie. undermined skill because of no speed or size and a total point vulture. third wheel and so dependent on better linemates to do dirty work. barely could create any offense himself outside of rare anomalies.

the trade makes sense and in "lets look at their points Value" it seems like a wash. Gagner was going nowhere at helping this team get better and Purcell fills the RW roll they need on line 2 or 3. something Gagner couldnt handle.

if Purcell is more responsible and smart on the ice while putting up 40-50 it'll be fine

onward to free agency

OF17

Dec 2, 2007
en France
Every season gagner is injured due to his size. He is unevenly matched on the ice.
2010/11 GP 68
2011/12 GP 75
2012/13 GP 48
2013/13 GP 67

Purcell's
2010/11 GP 81
2011/12 GP 81
2012/13 GP 48
2013/13 GP 81

Purcell just does not miss games. We need stability in our lineup instead of losing games to minor league callups. Every year we expect the big injury bug to hit because our guys are smaller and weaker. Imagine not having to expect injuries....

That's a good point, although I don't think you're right in assuming that his durability comes from his size. Look at someone like Martin Havlat, who has similar size, and you find a different story.

Purcell is a very good bet to score between 40 and 60 points next season. Roughly equivalent production to Gagner, although Purcell has actually "put pen to paper" and fulfilled that 50 and 60 point range before. Slight edge to Purcell. It sounds like Purcell isn't a two-way wizard by any means, but there are reports of him being at least competent defensively. Slight edge Purcell. He's slightly cheaper. Slight edge Purcell. We already know that Gagner was going to be moved to the wing, where he has had some good signs but is less proven, whereas Purcell is proven on the wing. Slight edge Purcell.

Gagner has the edge in that he's younger. He has more time to improve and more seasons at current level if he doesn't improve. For the Oilers, that factor is almost more negative than positive though. We need less youth on this team, and given that that aging wasn't going to be done by trading Hall etc, trading Gagner for an older guy like Purcell that seems to be a slightly better RW option is a good move IMO. It also allows the team to move on from a somewhat distracting (at least in the community) Gagner situation, which is nice.

Bangers

May 31, 2006

I'm thinking Purcell underwhelms and gets 10-15 goals, 20-25 points due to the West being a harder conference to score in.

Replacement*

Checked out
Apr 15, 2005
Hiking
I'm thinking Purcell underwhelms and gets 10-15 goals, 20-25 points due to the West being a harder conference to score in.

Purcell also obtained 17 of his pts last year on the Tampa PP playing with Allstar veterans. Something he won't see much of here. Indeed if Purcell is seeing a lot of time on PP here I'd be surprised. 2nd unit if anything, a 2nd unit that would probably be decidedly weaker without Gagner.

Purcell only had 25 EV pts last year.

I'm not certain he's a topsix player in this lineup and if he is who gets dropped to make way for a pretty ordinary player?

Oilfan2

13.5%
Aug 12, 2005
Although I liked Sam, it was time for a move, for both him and the organization. Instead of forcing a smaller center into a position on the RW he didn't want to play, MacT traded Sam for a decent sized player that is a natural RW. Production numbers and dollars are similiar but Purcell has better posession numbers and will be harder to knock off the puck. A smart move actually.

I think MacT already knows who he's going to sign on Tuesday for the 2nd line 'C' position so made the move now.

Purcell will score 19 goals and 28 assists in 2014/15...

oilborn

Jun 25, 2009
That's a good point, although I don't think you're right in assuming that his durability comes from his size. Look at someone like Martin Havlat, who has similar size, and you find a different story.

Purcell is a very good bet to score between 40 and 60 points next season. Roughly equivalent production to Gagner, although Purcell has actually "put pen to paper" and fulfilled that 50 and 60 point range before. Slight edge to Purcell. It sounds like Purcell isn't a two-way wizard by any means, but there are reports of him being at least competent defensively. Slight edge Purcell. He's slightly cheaper. Slight edge Purcell. We already know that Gagner was going to be moved to the wing, where he has had some good signs but is less proven, whereas Purcell is proven on the wing. Slight edge Purcell.

Gagner has the edge in that he's younger. He has more time to improve and more seasons at current level if he doesn't improve. For the Oilers, that factor is almost more negative than positive though. We need less youth on this team, and given that that aging wasn't going to be done by trading Hall etc, trading Gagner for an older guy like Purcell that seems to be a slightly better RW option is a good move IMO. It also allows the team to move on from a somewhat distracting (at least in the community) Gagner situation, which is nice.

Martin Havlat is 6'2 217lbs to Gagner's 5'11 202 pounds. That's a big enough difference.

McGoMcD

Aug 14, 2005
Edmonton, AB

I think he will do better than that, but, not much, depends if he Centers Gordon all year. I imagine there will be injuries as well. He will get some time on one of the top lines. STill I bet he gets 25g, 40 points.

Replacement*

Checked out
Apr 15, 2005
Hiking
2010/11 GP 68
2011/12 GP 75
2012/13 GP 48
2013/13 GP 67

Purcell's
2010/11 GP 81
2011/12 GP 81
2012/13 GP 48
2013/13 GP 81

Kind of silly. Gagner was a puck mover here, key transition player on his line, PP QB, guy making plays, guy gaining offensive blueline. He's going to get run playing in the toughest Pacific division and having a more significant role on a club.

Conversely Purcell playing a support role in Tampa with other guys obviously carrying the mail and in the far less physical East conference. Obvious that Purcell wouldn't particularly be a guy opponents need to key on to shut him down, lol. Judging from the hilites he's the guy left wide open and unmarked much of the time skating up and down the ice with better players.

While we're responding theres been a lot said about corsi numbers as if they were some specific attribute of Purcells play instead of perhaps being indicative of playing on a club that finished 3rd in the EC. He's one of the few Lightning players that managed to be a minus player last season.

Should I mention that in the absence of MSL Purcell was a complete non factor in the playoffs this season as Tampa quickly sank in the first round? People are making so much of Purcell being some kind of stud playoff performer.

oilborn

Jun 25, 2009
Kind of silly. Gagner was a puck mover here, key transition player on his line, PP QB, guy making plays, guy gaining offensive blueline. He's going to get run playing in the toughest Pacific division and having a more significant role on a club.

Conversely Purcell playing a support role in Tampa with other guys obviously carrying the mail and in the far less physical East conference. Obvious that Purcell wouldn't particularly be a guy opponents need to key on to shut him down, lol. Judging from the hilites he's the guy left wide open and unmarked much of the time skating up and down the ice with better players.

While we're responding theres been a lot said about corsi numbers as if they were some specific attribute of Purcells play instead of perhaps being indicative of playing on a club that finished 3rd in the EC. He's one of the few Lightning players that managed to be a minus player last season.

Should I mention that in the absence of MSL Purcell was a complete non factor in the playoffs this season as Tampa quickly sank in the first round? People are making so much of Purcell being some kind of stud playoff performer.

Kind of silly. Gagner's numbers prove he was none of these things listed. Sure he was a center for sometime but a key puck mover when his possession numbers are trash? A guy making plays and he hasn't cracked 50 points? And seriously tell me you believe he was a guy continually gaining the blueline... Oh and should I mention that with Gagner the oilers have been a non factor in the regular season.
And please keep trying to jam down the fact Purcell played with msl and stamkos and ignore the fact gagner played with hall and eberle. :help:

Last edited:

oilborn

Jun 25, 2009
?

The point is that Havlat and Purcell are similar size but have dissimilar durability. Therefore, size doesn't mean durability.

Sorry thought you were comparing havlat to gagner.Even still havlat has had a few seasons that were only a few games missed.

OF17

Dec 2, 2007
en France

According to Tampa fans in previous threads about Purcell, some of Purcell's best strengths are those you attribute to Gagner but not to Purcell. Tampa fans in a thread from November were talking about how Purcell was the best on the team at bringing the puck in across the blueline. That's on a team with Stamkos and MSL on it. They talked about him being a very good PP option not only at quarterbacking but also at finding space. I also don't agree with Gagner being a key puckmover or transition player. That would entail actually hanging low enough to support the D and transition a pass to the wingers, which isn't really Gagner's style. He plays more like a third winger on breakouts than anything else, which, on a team with not too many puckmoving D, worked predictably well.

As an aside, who is this Sam Gagner Oilers' PPQB you're talking about? He was when the team didn't have Nuge and Schultz taking his primary playmaking status and Eberle and Perron taking his spot on the LW boards, but recently, Gagner has been far from a PPQB for the Oilers. The only other spot that he's been effective, down low on the boards, has been taken by Hall and likely now by Draisaitl too. Purcell, on the other hand, gives the Oilers a slot option on the PP that they didn't have before. Not sure how the PP gets worse by exchanging a slightly worse offensive player for a better one with more PP flexibility.

Replacement*

Checked out
Apr 15, 2005
Hiking
Kind of silly. Gagner's numbers prove he was none of these things listed. Sure he was a center for sometime but a key puck mover when his possession numbers are trash? A guy making plays and he hasn't cracked 50 points? And seriously tell me you believe he was a guy continually gaining the blueline... Oh and should I mention that with Gagner the oilers have been a non factor in the regular season.
And please keep trying to jam down the fact Purcell played with msl and stamkos and ignore the fact gagner played with hall and eberle. :help:

tbh I'm not sure what specifically is being cited with respect to "possession" numbers. I haven't watched the latest Exorcist sequel but in a couple months I feel like I might be..:D

lets be clear here. Were looking at a players contribution playing on a very good team vs a player playing on a very bad team. A lot of numbers are going to look strange given that.

To anybody that hasn't learned this translation lesson we might be watching another Belanger here in Purcell.

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
OilersNow ‏@OilersNow 47s
"We didn't know Gagner was going to be shipped out to Phoenix. We were surprised, but I think that's a good fit for Sam." Howson on Gagner.

OilersNow ‏@OilersNow 34s
"He has good hands, good size, and is a good skater who can play on the power play." Howson on Purcell.

OilersNow ‏@OilersNow 18s
"I don't think were getting an overly physical player, but we are getting a guy with some size that can skate." Howson on Purcell.

Klimando Kostani

Sep 17, 2013
Victoria
Purcell also obtained 17 of his pts last year on the Tampa PP playing with Allstar veterans. Something he won't see much of here. Indeed if Purcell is seeing a lot of time on PP here I'd be surprised. 2nd unit if anything, a 2nd unit that would probably be decidedly weaker without Gagner.

Purcell only had 25 EV pts last year.

I'm not certain he's a topsix player in this lineup and if he is who gets dropped to make way for a pretty ordinary player?

After our horrendous power play last year and a new coach and system guiding this years I would say there is an opportunity for anyone to make a push into the 1st powerplay if they bring the tools to succeed.

Replacement*

Checked out
Apr 15, 2005
Hiking
OilersNow ‏@OilersNow 47s
"We didn't know Gagner was going to be shipped out to Phoenix. We were surprised, but I think that's a good fit for Sam." Howson on Gagner.

OilersNow ‏@OilersNow 34s
"He has good hands, good size, and is a good skater who can play on the power play." Howson on Purcell.

OilersNow ‏@OilersNow 18s
"I don't think were getting an overly physical player, but we are getting a guy with some size that can skate." Howson on Purcell.

The Oilers want to trade Gagner out of conference, do so, and then are "surprised" when Gagner gets traded back to own division with Oilers inexplicably helping another division rival because, well, why not..

Sure looked like the Oilers did due diligence concerning Tampa's motivation and intent.:sarcasm:

ps and lol at Howson's quotes in general. Size is important when a guy isn't physical..

Replacement*

Checked out
Apr 15, 2005
Hiking
After our horrendous power play last year and a new coach and system guiding this years I would say there is an opportunity for anyone to make a push into the 1st powerplay if they bring the tools to succeed.

We have a new headcoach and system this year? I almost became hopeful there for a moment..

oh PP coach..chief in charge of running practice drills..

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad