Confirmed with Link: [EDM/TBL] Sam Gagner For Teddy Purcell; Then TBL Trades Gagner to ARZ

Status
Not open for further replies.

McTedi

Jul 16, 2008
Edmonton
The good thing about this trade is that it will sort out what Gagner is/isn't once and for all.

Given a full offseason in Tippett's program, if Gagner sinks in Dubnyk-esque fashion, it's all on him. If he becomes an excellent 2nd line center, it's on the Oilers.
I don't think he is a bad 2nd line player right now. Flawed, yes but offensive ability is fine.

Bauer83

Aug 27, 2004
So much truth in this, but unfortunately it's not a recent development. The worst example was how Lupul became Pitkanen, who became Cole, who became POS, who became Vandermeer (this one was actually an improvement), who became a free agent. With the exception of POS, every single player instantly became better the second they left the team. Cogliano was another example.

And this is something that the Oilers are very aware of. Stauffer has talked about how the organization needs to change the perception of how the league see's Edmonton ands it's players. The negativity of the media and fans also does nothing to help the case. The team has sucked but that does not mean ALL of the individual players do. I remember an interview with Rishaug and Gregor about how none of the Oilers d prospects have any hope and this is how the league perceives them. Contrast that to Toronto where the majority of their garbage couldn't be traded for Hall. No coincidence this is helped and the message is regurgitated by TSN. Hemsky to me being the prime example of group think where this situation plays out, and then suddenly in Ottawa people wonder where he came from. It was the same player.

McTedi

Jul 16, 2008
Edmonton
For those of you who think we traded away a bad player in Sam Gagner, I've got news for you he isn't that bad. He will tally 40-60 pts. in the NHL next year.

rboomercat90

Mar 24, 2013
Edmonton
There weren't very many people hating on Perron when we made that deal. Perron was a clear upgrade from day one.
It was far from a unanimous thumbs up for Perron. People were *****ing about his concussion history and that we were giving up on MPS for a player the Blues had just given up on. I don't think there was more than fifty percent support for the deal.

SK13

non torsii subligarium
Jul 23, 2007
Edmonton
It was far from a unanimous thumbs up for Perron. People were *****ing about his concussion history and that we were giving up on MPS for a player the Blues had just given up on. I don't think there was more than fifty percent support for the deal.

Remember we also traded a second round pick, and you know how much HFBoards loves them their second round picks.

There was some skepticism. Including from me.

shoop

Jul 6, 2008
Edmonton
For those of you who think we traded away a bad player in Sam Gagner, I've got news for you he isn't that bad. He will tally 40-60 pts. in the NHL next year.

A three point improvement from this season on the low-end?

Meh, still thumbs up to the trade.

rboomercat90

Mar 24, 2013
Edmonton
The good thing about this trade is that it will sort out what Gagner is/isn't once and for all.

Given a full offseason in Tippett's program, if Gagner sinks in Dubnyk-esque fashion, it's all on him. If he becomes an excellent 2nd line center, it's on the Oilers.
It's going to be interesting not only watching Gagner but also watching Hemsky on another team. I couldn't care how many points either of them are able to put up. What I want to see is if anybody else can win with them in their lineup and contributing in some way. I personally don't think that's possible for either one of them.

PaPaDee

5-14-6-1
Sep 21, 2005
Saskazoo

He's offensively decent, but doesn't provide any other attribute we need right now.

oobga

Tier 2 Fan
Aug 1, 2003
He's offensively decent, but doesn't provide any other attribute we need right now.

Gags will get plenty of opportunity to show us we made a mistake next year. If I had to bet though, he won't come close to doing it unless games go to a SO.

McTedi

Jul 16, 2008
Edmonton
Oh I totally agree. There has just been so many ridiculous comments in this thread. I wasn't really trying to defend the trade because I thought it was a necessity to get bigger forwards in our top 6. But I think Gagner is still a good player.

voxel

Testicle Terrorist
Feb 14, 2007
Florida
I remember an interview with Rishaug and Gregor about how none of the Oilers d prospects have any hope and this is how the league perceives them.

LOL. It's true. How can you command any respect when you constantly call up and play garbage (some for extended periods of time) like Larsen, Chorney, Plante, Teubert, a long list of AHLers?

Our pro evaluation of D-men SUCK.

rosemount289

Feb 12, 2008
I have to agree................???

I have to agree.............remember Sam had 49 points his rookie season and in Calgary they are making a big deal of Monahan who had just 34 point last season.

Put Sam with bigger wingers and he can be a force.........remember last year's 8 point night.

T-Funk

Oct 15, 2006
I have to agree.............remember Sam had 49 points his rookie season and in Calgary they are making a big deal of Monahan who had just 34 point last season.

Put Sam with bigger wingers and he can be a force.........remember last year's 8 point night.

I think it's a little easier, or smarter, to replace Gagner with a big center who puts up less points as opposed to replacing Perron, yakupov, eberle or hall.

Oiltankjob Fail

Feb 10, 2013

it was in 2012 3 seasons ago.

LaGu

Jan 4, 2011
Italy

I think all of us remember that he had a 8 point night, and still most wanted him gone... That should tell you something (and no it was not only rabid Gagner haters that wanted him gone).

The problem with Gagner was never his rookie season, that was very convincing and above expectations. The problem is that he never lived up to the "promise" that his rookie seasons gave us.

You also need to consider the fact that we have players who are much better offensively than Gagner and we need to do our best to get them to produce. That means that even if Gagner is good offensively the role that the Oilers needed hi to play was that of a good 2-way center, and that he is not.

Supermassive

HISS, HISS
Feb 19, 2007
Sherwood Park

Gawd knows I've defended Sam more than I'd care to admit, but Hall and Eberle carried him all night, doing some incredible gruntwork, and they were only rewarded with 4 points apiece. If you watch the game tape, you'll see them exchange a few nods - as if to say "let's keep destroying this defense" - Sam just happened to be the beneficiary.

Please note this isn't a "pile on after he's gone" post. Prior to last season, Sam actually played a decent all-around game. He was never as bad defensively as his detractors suggested, and never as offensively proficient as his boosters suggested.

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
Sad to see Sam go, even if he wasn't the greatest fit here, I think we sold low on him unfortunately, but Purcell seems to be an OK player I guess.

Seems more of a lateral move than anything especially if it coddles Eakins into playing Yakupov less and then we end up having to sell low on him too then it will have been a disaster of a move.

I guess it's better to be a soft 6'3 than a soft but "hard trying" 5'10 and yeah I get the puck possession stuff but still.

I wonder what New Jersey's ask on Adam Larsson is, would they have had no interest in Gagner at 1/2 salary retained? Maybe a sweetner like a 2015 2nd added? Oh well.

So fully ends that Gagner-Cogliano-Nilsson-Gilbert era, lol. Hopefully this rebuild doesn't go down the tubes too.

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
Sarah McLellan @azc_mclellan · 20h
FYI, the #Coyotes did not retain Gagner's NMC clause. Nixed in the trade. @capgeek

Saw this yesterday.

OF17

Dec 2, 2007
en France
Sad to see Sam go, even if he wasn't the greatest fit here, I think we sold low on him unfortunately, but Purcell seems to be an OK player I guess.

Seems more of a lateral move than anything especially if it coddles Eakins into playing Yakupov less and then we end up having to sell low on him too then it will have been a disaster of a move.

I guess it's better to be a soft 6'3 than a soft but "hard trying" 5'10 and yeah I get the puck possession stuff but still.

I wonder what New Jersey's ask on Adam Larsson is, would they have had no interest in Gagner at 1/2 salary retained? Maybe a sweetner like a 2015 2nd added? Oh well.

So fully ends that Gagner-Cogliano-Nilsson-Gilbert era, lol. Hopefully this rebuild doesn't go down the tubes too.

If a Gagner for Larsson trade were available, I have no doubt that one of the Oilers or Lightning would've taken New Jersey up on it. For Yzerman, retaining an additional $800K had to have been worth the difference between Larsson and a 6th round pick. For MacTavish, bringing in a guy like Larsson is a no-brainer. I don't think anything close to that was available.

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
If a Gagner for Larsson trade were available, I have no doubt that one of the Oilers or Lightning would've taken New Jersey up on it. For Yzerman, retaining an additional $800K had to have been worth the difference between Larsson and a 6th round pick. For MacTavish, bringing in a guy like Larsson is a no-brainer. I don't think anything close to that was available.

I don't think NJ is ready to cut Larsson yet anyway. With his potential and age you are better off just letting the guy bust than trade him for Gagner who apparently has slightly more value than myself.

There are still a lot of players from that draft year that haven't made a name for themselves yet teams still have hope in them. The biggest issues is that Larsson has been around for 3 years and to hockey fans that's like a 20 years.

McShogun99

Aug 30, 2009
Edmonton
Remember we also traded a second round pick, and you know how much HFBoards loves them their second round picks.

There was some skepticism. Including from me.

On hfboards a 2nd round pick is the equivelant of a top 10 pick. 1st round pick is worth a franchise player and 1st OA is worth Malkin+

Klimando Kostani

Sep 17, 2013
Victoria
Bob McKenzie @TSNBobMcKenzie 14s

DAL trades Alec Chiasson, Alex Guptill, Nicholas Paul and 2nd round pick in 2015 to OTT for Jason Spezza and Ludvig Karlsson.

How does the value of return for Spezza compare to Purcell for Gagner?

Both Centers have injury histories, struggling.

Spezza: Had been a #1, more complete player, better goals, only on a one year deal

Gags: Well hopefully he finds himself under a new coach

* I wonder if a Canadian team is going to send it's captain to Dallas every year now.

McDeathbyCheerios*

Gagner has the opportunity to succeed in the right environment. Edmonton wasn't that environment. Edmonton was a team with high scoring wings who needed a defensively sound 2c that could put up good numbers with offensive wingers. Gagner is not that player. Sure we could drop Yak and Perron and bring in some good defensive wingers however that is so much more risky then just replacing Gagner.

Sure he could put up big numbers with the Coyotes and do well, good for him, however he simply wasn't going to help the Oilers with what we needed from him

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad