Confirmed with Link: [EDM/TBL] Sam Gagner For Teddy Purcell; Then TBL Trades Gagner to ARZ

Status
Not open for further replies.

BoldNewLettuce

Esquire
Dec 21, 2008
Canada
I like that we increased our Teddy factor by one. We've been sorely lacking a Teddy since Peckham left.

Right shooting LW and a Left Shooting RW should make things interesting.

Purcell-Draisaitl/UFA-Yakupov

Cawz

Sep 18, 2003
Oiler fan in Calgary
Visit site
If you have to ask that you won't like the answer. Phoenix is one of the few other clubs in the division that didn't have a stellar year last season and they needed some help filling out their roster and adding a topsix guy. They also needed help doing this on the cheap.

not to worry here come the Oilers bearing gifts..although regifted it was a pretty good present. Anybody in Phoenix thinks so.

Yeah, it’s a pretty good present for the Yotes. Good on them. I’m not sure why you are mad at the Oilers for a trade between the Bolts and Yotes though. That’s stretching.

McOilers97

Jan 10, 2012
So the way I see it, as long as Purcell can somewhat protect the puck in the offensive zone, and doesn't fall over whenever someone leans on him, then we win this trade, because we all know Gagner was horrendous for those things.

CornKicker

Holland is wrong..except all of the good things
Feb 18, 2005
All the Purcell hatred is reminiscent of when we traded for Perron.

for sure it is. The even funnier part is the people that thought we'd be lucky to get kyle clifford and were ok with that are mad we got an actual player.

Senor Catface

Jul 25, 2006
Point I was making is Penner is Exhibit A of how a guy with size doesn't need to be physical for it to be an asset.

No, you were totally correct. He boasted Penner non-stop after a change of heart, so it's an important faucet of information to bring up.

Tarus

Jun 22, 2006
Edmonton
It's 3.2 to to Coyotes now after TB retaining 1/3.

That's a number that applies to Phx after the 2nd trade

The post I was responding to clearly had several points that the Oilers would be paying the 3.2 number, not the 4.8 number.

Namely -

-The Oilers were not trying to move or buyout a 3.2 million a year contract, they were moving a 4.8 million a year contract(they had no ability to retain money, they are at their cap for the year)
- Purcell does not in fact make more money than Gagner, and the Oilers did not take on more cap trading for Purcell.

Replacement*

Checked out
Apr 15, 2005
Hiking
You make a lot of reaches, but this one ranks among the all-time highest in ridiculousness. You probably can't even be taking yourself seriously right about now.

People have a tendency to say stupid **** when upset. I'm far from alone in that. My special talent lies in not knowing when to shut up. :laugh:

I get like possessed on these topics.

Replacement*

Checked out
Apr 15, 2005
Hiking
Yeah, from you, this sounds like revisionist history. I'm sure you found a "character flaw" or two wrong with Perron when they got him.

Perron was a good find. Not sure why that was surprising to anybody or that I would respect his goal scoring acumen and potential. When you watch Perron the talent is quite clear. Purcell in comparison a somewhat clumsy looking player.

ps its halftime in the Germany game, I'm thoroughly disgusted, so I'm bound to be some fun over the next 10mins or so...or rest of week depdnding on how things go..

SeriousBusiness

T.Hall da man
Oct 5, 2003
There weren't very many people hating on Perron when we made that deal. Perron was a clear upgrade from day one.

There were many posts about Perron being
  • bad in the locker room
  • easy to push off the puck
  • lazy
  • overrated
  • a floater

Hell, even one of the mods here was against the trade even after the Olympic break.

The fact is, there's a strong history of posters jumping to conclusions about a player without knowing much about them, and without having seen said player suit up for the Oilers.

CornKicker

Holland is wrong..except all of the good things
Feb 18, 2005
There were many posts about Perron being
  • bad in the locker room
  • easy to push off the puck
  • lazy
  • overrated
  • a floater

Hell, even one of the mods here was against the trade even after the Olympic break.

The fact is, there's a strong history of posters jumping to conclusions about a player without knowing much about them, and without having seen said player suit up for the Oilers.

you forgot
*injury prone

"we just traded a 22 year old player for marc savard with less skill"

i actually heard something along those lines.

Seedling

Tier 7 fan (ballcap)
Jul 16, 2009
Canada
So posters are hating a player we just traded for by trading an under-achiever. Both players would benefit from a new start. Okay then.

I tend to think this is more about people thinking the illusions of Gagner are still worth something. They are worth Crombeen and a 6th, with 1/3 retained. Tampa was going to buy him out.....

Get over it.

Last edited:

McRobbiezyg

Oct 21, 2007
Oh yeah, "injury prone" was a good one too.

To be fair.. he could suffer a career ending concussion in the first game of the season.. he's had concussion issues throughout his career. One healthy year doesn't mitigate many concerns that he could have another one.

Dorian2

Define that balance
Jul 17, 2009
Edmonton
People have a tendency to say stupid **** when upset. I'm far from alone in that. My special talent lies in not knowing when to shut up. :laugh:

I get like possessed on these topics.

You're absolutely right, you don't know when to close the clapper sometimes.

But that is a good thing, because more posters find the good about the player in arguing with you. Then, when said player is a good fit....lo and behold...Replacement gradually, if somewhat reluctantly, changes his tune. :D

Tarus

Jun 22, 2006
Edmonton
Oh yeah, "injury prone" was a good one too.

He missed nearly the entire 2010 - 2011 season due to a serious concussion, and a large portion of 2011 - 2012

He managed to stay healthy for the shortened season, but there was definitely a level of risk acquiring Perron with regards to being injury prone last year.

SeriousBusiness

T.Hall da man
Oct 5, 2003
To be fair.. he could suffer a career ending concussion in the first game of the season.. he's had concussion issues throughout his career. One healthy year doesn't mitigate many concerns that he could have another one.

Anyone in the league could.

Del Preston

Mar 8, 2013
The "poor Sam Gagner, he got screwed in Edmonton" posts have started popping up on the main board.

Replacement*

Checked out
Apr 15, 2005
Hiking
You're absolutely right, you don't know when to close the clapper sometimes.

But that is a good thing, because more posters find the good about the player in arguing with you. Then, when said player is a good fit....lo and behold...Replacement gradually, if somewhat reluctantly, changes his tune. :D

Maybe it is another pennerlike tune. :laugh:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad