Confirmed with Link: [EDM/LAK] Oilers trade Jussi Jokinen to LA for Mike Cammalleri

Jimmi McJenkins

Sometimes miracles
Jan 12, 2006
Alberta
Not unhappy with the trade, but I think those claiming that Jokinen did nothing are being unfair. Jokinen played MISTAKE FREE defense at ES, and that's something. Cammaleri makes mistakes defensively, Jokinen doesn't.
That's a fair point, the issue is that Jokinen appears to be a step behind the play, that will only get worse and more obvious as the season roles along. I felt very good about this signing, but he looks like he's on the wrong side of his career.

PinSeeker

Really narrowed his eyyyyyyyyyesssssss
Aug 22, 2005
YLW
Jokinen was awful on the PK. Mistake free at ES honestly doesn't mean much to me as, overall, the team has been very good at ES except for their own conversion rate on good scoring chances, and the goal tending up until 4 or 5 games ago. They give up very few odd man rushes, relatively speaking. I have the centre ice package and most other games look like track meets compared to Oiler games.

So what JJ brought, we did not necessarily need more of, however starting the season I wouldn't have predicted that. We definitely need a one shot scorer, a poor man's James Neal, which Cammalleri is.

Weitz

Sep 23, 2014
This is a tough one. Cammaleri just has bad advanced stats. Has 1 ES point. And 6 of his 7 points came in 2 games. Not really that impressive while playing on one of the better teams in the West to start the year.

I feel like he won't do much here, just as slow as JJ, worse defensively. Hopefully he can put up points but I am just not sure.

PinSeeker

Really narrowed his eyyyyyyyyyesssssss
Aug 22, 2005
YLW
This is a tough one. Cammaleri just has bad advanced stats. Has 1 ES point. And 6 of his 7 points came in 2 games. Not really that impressive while playing on one of the better teams in the West to start the year.

I feel like he won't do much here, just as slow as JJ, worse defensively. Hopefully he can put up points but I am just not sure.
According to Kings fans he was relegated to 3rd line - with Lewis, and Shore.

He is a shooter, we badly need shooters. JJ gave us nothing.

oobga

Tier 2 Fan
Aug 1, 2003
Almost all greatness of Jussi's corsi% came from some ice time with the team down 2 or more goals. He's around 50% with everyone else when the team is down or tied. He's middle of the pack on the team down 1. And he's a hockey god (in corsiland) when we're down 2 or more. 18th on the team when the game is within 1 goal.

Meh...

nexttothemoon

and again...
Jan 30, 2010
Northern AB
Oilers traded a 34 year old for a 35 year old... so age wise the trade is pretty much a wash. Both players are beyond their peak and are slowing down but are still useful NHL players. I liked the Jokinen signing as well but I think a roster shakeup was needed and this could be the spark that helps set the team in the right direction again.

Cammalleri stats over the past 3 years at 5 on 5:

2.372 GF/60 while he's on the ice
1.848 GA/60 while he's on the ice

His teammates:
1.803 GF/60
2.106 GA/60

His opposition:

2.256 GF/60
2.206 GA/60

His personal stats:
1.673 pts/60
31.2% dzone starts
33.4 ozone starts

This is a player that benefits team offense AND defense when he's on the ice. He has faced good opposition and had a relatively small offensive zone push doing so.

His results have been very good and I know some will point to his corsi stats and say he's not a good "possession player".

What matters most is what goes up on the scoreboard and Cammalleri gets results where it matters most... helping his team outscore the opposition.

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
I think you're on the mark regarding Pak being able to help Puljujarvi as a fellow Finn. But honestly I'm not sure its that much of a big deal anymore. Gene Principe was saying during the game yesterday that Puljujarvi understands almost everything that is being said to him but is still having some trouble responding back. That will come with time. He's clearly getting better and better everyday with the language.
I don't know what to think. The way he spoke English and how they said it was a huge improvement didn't exactly impress me. I don't know how it's that bad still.

I really think he needs someone that is coming up to him after a conversation and checking to make sure he cleary understood. One word can really make or break a guy. Hate for him to do what he thinks the coach says only to realize it was the opposite of what the coach wanted.

nexttothemoon

and again...
Jan 30, 2010
Northern AB
Just have to add... Cammalleri is going to likely be another one of those players (like Russell) that everyone argues about because of his advanced stats. On paper his corsi stats says he's overrated and "lucky"... but to me his high PDO is an excellent sign that he helps his team on the scoreboard and that's where games are won and lost.

Corsi doesn't win games... putting pucks in the opponents net and helping keep them out of your own is what matters and I think he will help this team in that regard.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
Jokinen probably hated it here... he's been playing in the sunbelt for his whole career
Yeah, I wonder about this sometimes how much some players seem to park themselves in the sunbelt on Obscure teams like Florida. To me it would be hard to have the same passion for the game playing in a place like Florida.

Somebody else mentioned that Jokinen was making mistake free hockey. I don't see it that way. He was losing a lot of pucks in opposition end and never showed puck battle here. He never even got engaged here. When you can remember a players only point in 2mths of play and the guy I supposed to be capable of production something is wrong.

When you have to think hard of a worse player performance here you know something was wrong.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
Just have to add... Cammalleri is going to likely be another one of those players (like Russell) that everyone argues about because of his advanced stats. On paper his corsi stats says he's overrated and "lucky"... but to me his high PDO is an excellent sign that he helps his team on the scoreboard and that's where games are won and lost.

Corsi doesn't win games... putting pucks in the opponents net and helping keep them out of your own is what matters and I think he will help this team in that regard.

Cam has hands and can produce and slot in at topsix. Its really that simple. We had 5 players that could do that, now we have 6. He wont be great, but he can support offense, throw the puck around, and look half decent on 2nd unit PP.

But that said its kind of silly because Eberle is better at everything that Cam is. This is Chia trying to cover a mistake again. At least this time the cost was only Jokinen.

dem

Mar 17, 2002
Good trade... if only to shake it up a bit.

Jokinen wasn't working.. cant hurt to try Cammalleri.

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017
This trade either works out well for us or it's neutral. Jokinen wasn't going to see many more games here and we have a second shot at some depth. I think when healthy we will see

Maroon - McDavid - Drai
Lucic - RNH - Pulju
Cagguila - Strome - Cam
Slepyshev - Letestu - Kassian
Khaira, Pakman

Reactions: LaGu

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
Cam has hands and can produce and slot in at topsix. Its really that simple. We had 5 players that could do that, now we have 6. He wont be great, but he can support offense, throw the puck around, and look half decent on 2nd unit PP.

But that said its kind of silly because Eberle is better at everything that Cam is. This is Chia trying to cover a mistake again. At least this time the cost was only Jokinen.
PC knew trading Eberle was going to make him weaker on the RW. I don't know why people think that PC doesn't get this. It was about creating future cap space.

MinisterOfSinister

Aug 31, 2008
I liked the move to pick up Jussi, however it just wasn't coming together for him here. Cammalleri has always been a shooter, and hes going to get his looks. No one will really care about his sub par 2 way ability or lack of speed, if he can hammer pucks from the top of the circle. Hopefully he will give us a bit of a boost.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
PC knew trading Eberle was going to make him weaker on the RW. I don't know why people think that PC doesn't get this. It was about creating future cap space.

I realize that but the same guy needing capspace signed the slow and plodding Lucic to 6M. It doesn't completely wash. With Chia as GM you gradually note that every contract signing seems like it could be an overpay.

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
I think it's also worth mentioning that if Cammy doesn't fit. I really don't see him being on this team much more than 10 or 15 games either, unless he shows something. Whether that's a Sam Gagner like role from last year in CBJ or a bigger role in our top 6. He will need to show he can score and soon. There are far too many others on this roster that bring something else when they aren't scoring, something Cammy really doesn't have.

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
I realize that but the same guy needing capspace signed the slow and plodding Lucic to 6M. It doesn't completely wash. With Chia as GM you gradually note that every contract signing seems like it could be an overpay.
Lucic also brings a lot of different elements that this team needed that Eberle never brought.

Zguy370

Dec 25, 2007
Not really sure what LA was thinking? Cammalleri has 7 points in 14 games. Same production as our entire bottom 6 hahah
Well he's really not a team player, more out for his personal stats. Personally I would have kept Jokinen at least for the season, particularly for our special teams

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
Well he's really not a team player, more out for his personal stats. Personally I would have kept Jokinen at least for the season, particularly for our special teams
Our special teams were garbage with him though. It was clear TM wasn't going to play him much more anyway. He feel out of favour. Not everything is on JJ, but he obviously wasn't meeting expectations.

We really are at a point where we need guys doing what they are paid to do now. If you aren't working out we are going to move on.

oXo Cube

Power Play Merchant
Nov 4, 2008
In your closet

Good.

We need a few more selfish players. Someone that will put the damn thing on net.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
According to Kings fans he was relegated to 3rd line - with Lewis, and Shore.

He is a shooter, we badly need shooters. JJ gave us nothing.
The play of Iafallo and Kempe this season just relegated Cam down the lineup. You couldn't not play those two kids in topsix, they were just flying and creating on every shift. I mean jaw dropping stuff. That's no knock on Cam who could do that too at a younger age.

Cam will certainly be better here than Jokinen was. That said LA is better at sitting a player down and defining exactly what they want from him so Jokinen will look better in LA as well. LA goes for a lot of deflection schemes as well and Jokinen in his career has been good at pass shots. The Oilers don't scheme that into the PP like LA would. Cam works more for the Oilers mode of cycling and possessing puck and working it to the open man.

McGoMcD

Aug 14, 2005
Edmonton, AB
The Deal seems like an easy win. Similar players on similar contracts with similar history, but while JJ has looked horrible and slow this year Cammy has actually played pretty good. Easy win.

FanOfSadTeam

Dec 12, 2010
Cammallari's numbers are deceiving. He got 4 of his 7 points in 1 game and 2 in another. This trade is basically a wash.

FanOfSadTeam

Dec 12, 2010
How is that deceiving? He has had a couple big games, good. More than JJ has done.
Deceiving as in his production isn't spread out evenly. But I do think that if he can get a point every..4-5 games..he'll be more useful that JJ would ever have be.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad