Confirmed with Link: [EDM/LAK] Oilers trade Jussi Jokinen to LA for Mike Cammalleri

yukoner88

Dec 16, 2009
Dawson City, YT
I don't know, honestly it's not my place to comment on your team, I'm not an Oiler fan, but I miss the great rivalry they had against my Isles. I just hate Chia for signing your two young guns to such stupid contracts. Stupid fool. (But then again, we had the Yashin and Dipietro contracts) Good luck the rest of the year. Hope your team makes the playoffs.

20.5M for Draisaitl + McDavid until 2025 versus the 16.5M left to pay Dipietro

Who's got the better investment again?

John Connor McDavid

Apr 17, 2017
Cammaleri was't even playing that bad. He lost his spot with Kopi and Brown to young upstart Iafallo and was deemed not suitable for a bottom-6 role on a team that had Pearson, Carter, Toffoli, and Kempe all in similar roles.

I don't think LAK realized how brutal Jokinen is, but probably liked his versatility (can play all 3 forward positions) heading forward.

McShiva

5-14-6-1
Aug 27, 2010
Would say this is a good trade for both teams. Cammaleri was kind of redundant on LAK, they needed a more defensive minded player, and Edmonton needed more goal scoring in the bottom 6 and Jokinen was completely invisible here even when he wasn't being press boxed. At the very least, the Oil got rid of one player that they took a risk on and just didn't fit in, and got another player that might actually be able to fill the role the Oilers wanted. How can anyone say this wasn't a decent trade for both teams is beyond me. I haven't been around for a while, but boy, is it becoming excessively negative around here.

VainGretzky

Jun 4, 2015
Chia just breaking bread with Blake so they are familiar with each other when the Doughty agrees to re-sign withOilers for Nuge,Klefbom happens

nexttothemoon

and again...
Jan 30, 2010
Northern AB
Cammalleri is an excellent player. Not sure what people are seeing when they say he is trash/useless etc.

He's put up solid offensive and defensive numbers relative to his teammates over the past 3 seasons which is exactly the type of player what the Oilers need more of on this roster.

I'm looking forward to see him play and I think he'll be a positive addition that will definitely move the needle forward among the forwards.

I actually didn't hate the Jokinen signing but I think Cammalleri is a definite upgrade both offensively and in his two way play where it matters most... GF and GA on the scoreboard.

McFlyingV

Feb 22, 2013
Edmonton, Alberta
Cammalleri is an excellent player. Not sure what people are seeing when they say he is trash/useless etc.

He's put up solid offensive and defensive numbers relative to his teammates over the past 3 seasons which is exactly the type of player what the Oilers need more of on this roster.

I'm looking forward to see him play and I think he'll be a positive addition that will definitely move the needle forward among the forwards.

I actually didn't hate the Jokinen signing but I think Cammalleri is a definite upgrade both offensively and in his two way play where it matters most... GF and GA on the scoreboard.
Yeah I'm intrigued by it. He's a better offensive player than Jokinen and a much better goal scorer. I haven't seen him this year, but I imagine he's a better skater than Jokinen (he certainly still skated well 2 seasons ago in NJ). He should help the PP and can slide around the top 9.

KCC

Aug 15, 2007
Jokinen probably hated it here... he's been playing in the sunbelt for his whole career

He never got his footing here but to be fair 90% of the roster hadn’t been able to until tonight either.

LaGu

Jan 4, 2011
Italy
I liked the Jokinen signing at the time, and I still think it was a good player to target. Honestly I though that he would get a longer leash, 17 GP is not that much, but he is a veteran who is/was famous for being versatile so maybe the short leash is justified. Adding in the struggles we have had so far and it is evident that something had to be done and he was definitely one of the handful of "eligible players" that could be moved easily (contract and reputation).

Cammalleri is interesting and I definitely don't think he is a downgrade on Jussi, especially considering how Jussi has been performing lately. This is at the very worst a lateral move, but I think it may end up being a very good move. A player who has (had) a nose for scoring, good locker room presence, able to play both wings and is not a liability in the D zone. Looks like a good package to me. Definitely worth taking a shot on.

Ritchie Valens

Sep 24, 2007
Cammalleri interview:

FEATURE: Cammalleri joins Oilers after trade with Kings

Chiarelli said he will be given an opportunity to help improve the Oilers in the scoring department so it's safe to presume he'll be slotting into the lineup right off the hop. He's got some familiarity in the room as well...he played with Russell "down south", Larsson in Jersey and trained with Nurse in the off season.

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
Neilson had a few interesting points/comments this morning.

First, "LA acquires Jokinen is the email he received". He thought what did we get a conditional pick?

Second, he was quite shocked to hear it was Cammalleri.

Which then led him to wonder why a team would trade 7 points for 1 point

Which then led to him saying Cammy had a four point night and a two point night.

So really while we are getting the better offensive guy, he is just as streaky as everyone else we've had play in our lower lines this year.

I do find it odd that we finally bring up JP and now move JJ who was suppose to be his mentor. Then again I rather just hire an off ice mentor for JP if he really needs someone to explain the finer points to him. Plus with Pak I think JP could learn a lot more from him on his two way game and work ethic

Overall I like the deal, but I don't know how high my expectations are especially considering Cammy if he gets into the lineup is probably playing with Strome.

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
Cammalleri interview:

FEATURE: Cammalleri joins Oilers after trade with Kings

Chiarelli said he will be given an opportunity to help improve the Oilers in the scoring department so it's safe to presume he'll be slotting into the lineup right off the hop. He's got some familiarity in the room as well...he played with Russell "down south", Larsson in Jersey and trained with Nurse in the off season.
Was that before or after the game? Going to be kinda hard to mess with a lineup that scored 8, unless someone like Caggiula is still banged up.

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
I doubt it was that, I think it was just an issue of him losing a step and it holding him back for this team.
I wonder if the injury he had just finished his career. He did mention that he never got back into the groove last year after his injury. Could just be something that with age he won't ever overcome.

Jimmi McJenkins

Sometimes miracles
Jan 12, 2006
Alberta
I wonder if the injury he had just finished his career. He did mention that he never got back into the groove last year after his injury. Could just be something that with age he won't ever overcome.
Could be, I don't know what the injury was. I know he was never a speedster, but he was noticeably behind the play, reminded me a bit of Ryan Smyth's last year.

Rehabguy

Always open minded
Oct 2, 2011
Your team employs Garth Snow

I know, thank you.

Garth Snow and Chiarelli- a match made in heaven. (at least for Islander fans). :D

EDIT- that usually would be a good come back for just about every other NHL fans. Just not you guys.

Rehabguy

Always open minded
Oct 2, 2011
20.5M for Draisaitl + McDavid until 2025 versus the 16.5M left to pay Dipietro

Who's got the better investment again?

After his injury the Isles paid off the rest of his contract through a compliance buyout in 2013. It's not affecting the Islander's salary cap at all since then. I think the only one who got the best investment out of that was Dipietro. Good for him. Nice guy and enjoy his occasional commentarys on Islanders TV.

ZJuice

pickle juice connoisseur
May 17, 2010
Edmonton
After his injury the Isles paid off the rest of his contract through a compliance buyout in 2013. It's not affecting the Islander's salary cap at all since then. I think the only one who got the best investment out of that was Dipietro. Good for him. Nice guy and enjoy his occasional commentarys on Islanders TV.
Dipietro also has a super nice bod

TaroTsujimoto

Apr 20, 2014
Sad to see Jokinen go. He is a good pro and class act.

The Oilers are hoping that Cammaleri can bring more goal scoring to the bottom six, whereas LA is clearly of the opinion that Jokinen is the superior two-way player and has been unlucky offensively this season. That is definitely what the advanced stats say, and teams put stock in those these days.

Here is what Jokinen had to say a short while ago:

“I haven’t been this unlucky ever in my career. I don’t think I’ve gone this long without a goal,” Jokinen said. “I’ve created enough chances for myself and other players this season to have, say, three goals and three assists but it hasn’t happened.”

Spawn

Something in the water
Feb 20, 2006
Edmonton
I do find it odd that we finally bring up JP and now move JJ who was suppose to be his mentor. Then again I rather just hire an off ice mentor for JP if he really needs someone to explain the finer points to him. Plus with Pak I think JP could learn a lot more from him on his two way game and work ethic.

I think you're on the mark regarding Pak being able to help Puljujarvi as a fellow Finn. But honestly I'm not sure its that much of a big deal anymore. Gene Principe was saying during the game yesterday that Puljujarvi understands almost everything that is being said to him but is still having some trouble responding back. That will come with time. He's clearly getting better and better everyday with the language.

TaroTsujimoto

Apr 20, 2014
Not unhappy with the trade, but I think those claiming that Jokinen did nothing are being unfair. Jokinen played MISTAKE FREE defense at ES, and that's something. Cammaleri makes mistakes defensively, Jokinen doesn't.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad