Confirmed Signing with Link: [EDM] Darnell Nurse signs extension with the Oilers (8 years, $9.25M AAV) PART II

Pizza!Pizza!

Sep 25, 2018
I will say this in Holland's defense - imagine if Nurse continued playing as well as he did last season, he'd be out performing a lot of those $9m Dmen and would likely be asking for even MORE. Its still a bad contract but as has been discussed ad nauseum, the nurse signing had the Oilers between a rock and hard place. They were f***ed in every scenario except the one where Nurse negotiates his own contract and asks for a long term team friendly deal at like 1/3rd of his market value.

For better or for worse he is still the Oilers' best overall DMan and they couldn't afford to lose him with all of the other D holes they already had. sucks to suck.

Reactions: spaghtti

MarkusNaslund19

Dec 28, 2005
One thing I find hilarious is that people were screaming "bad contract" from the rooftops because of his high shooting percentage last year, citing it isn't sustainable, which is true, but they aren't considering his below career average shooting percentage this year when talking about how "bad" he is this year. Which he isn't. During our last losing streak he was the only skater playing worth anything really.
If you think shooting percentage is particularly relevant in a 9.25 million dollar contract for a defence man then you're using the wrong metrics.

Nurse was fantastic last year, but in no world was he going to get more than 9.25 even if he had continued his great play. What is he, suddenly an 11 million dollar D? Only the Kings and Sharks have D making that much and, current good play by the Kings notwithstanding, it hasn't proven to be a good move.

If he had had another great year and gotten his deal, fine. But doing it off of a shortened year where you only played 6 other teams is insane.

The Devilish Buffoon

🇵🇸 viva 🇵🇸 free 🇵🇸
Dec 24, 2018
With Nurse’s skillset and the array of talent he’s surrounded by I see no reason why he cannot have similar impact to Chabot.
Physical tools are similar (Nurse is stronger with a much better shot; Chabot is probably a better skater with elite endurance)... IQ is incomparable.
If Edmonton were to retain 50% of Nurses's salary, I'd take him. He's just not worth more than 4.5M(or so) a year & we all know it.
What an outlandishly stupid post.

ScoreZeGoals

Boooorrrrriiiinnnnng
Jun 29, 2010
3/4 of a season into a contract extension and HF Boards has their pitchforks and torches out... again...

No one argued that it was an overpay at the time, but also a necessary one for a multitude of reasons.

Nurse is FAR from our biggest problem on the roster. Any one who thinks otherwise is just joining the chorus of blind EDM haters.

At this rate, the Oilers fan base and media is going to run him out of town like Eberle.
The contract extension hasn't started yet

He got that contract based on an outlier 56 games playing against only Canadian teams. Nothing about his previous play showed he deserved that contract, and his play this season is more of that

orby

Jun 16, 2013
Erie, PA
www.youtube.com
If Edmonton were to retain 50% of Nurses's salary, I'd take him. He's just not worth more than 4.5M(or so) a year & we all know it.

I don't think the Oilers are likely to do that, considering it would leave them with 4 and a half million dollars of dead cap until 2030. They just have to hope Nurse improves.

x Tame Impala

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 24, 2011
When are GM's going to grow some stones and realize players are very rarely worth 7-8 year mega deals? They should be signing 2-3 year contracts

The Devilish Buffoon

🇵🇸 viva 🇵🇸 free 🇵🇸
Dec 24, 2018
Wade Redden was a legit top pair stud before his mother died and he fell apart. Lets not insult Wade here.

Wade Redden was also an example of a guy with very few "elite" tools (arguably, his only elite tool was his first pass) but absolutely elite IQ. Kinda the opposite of Nurse. Once Redden lost a step, likely due to a combination of grief, injuries, and inability to be completely committed to the game, he became a FAR more limited player, as he struggled to adjust his game to his new limitations.

PK Subban, while more similar to Nurse than to Redden, is another guy who this has happened to - although recently he's gotten a bit better. That said, if not for his huge contract and the ability to bury full cap-hits in the minors (I think that was the case, right?), Redden never would have been in the AHL.

PoutineSp00nZ

Electricity is really just organized lightning.
Jul 21, 2009
Ottawa
Wade Redden was also an example of a guy with very few "elite" tools (arguably, his only elite tool was his first pass) but absolutely elite IQ. Kinda the opposite of Nurse. Once Redden lost a step, likely due to a combination of grief, injuries, and inability to be completely committed to the game, he became a FAR more limited player, as he struggled to adjust his game to his new limitations.

PK Subban, while more similar to Nurse than to Redden, is another guy who this has happened to - although recently he's gotten a bit better. That said, if not for his huge contract and the ability to bury full cap-hits in the minors (I think that was the case, right?), Redden never would have been in the AHL.

PRetty much nailed it in every regard. Redden just wasn't worth the contract New York handed him, he was in serious decline at the time for the reasons you mentioned.

Church Hill

I'd drink it
Nov 16, 2007
3/4 of a season into a contract extension and HF Boards has their pitchforks and torches out... again...

Contract hasn't started yet.

No one argued that it was an overpay at the time, but also a necessary one for a multitude of reasons.

Half the fan base was on board with this, all you have to do is read this very thread.

Nurse is FAR from our biggest problem on the roster. Any one who thinks otherwise is just joining the chorus of blind EDM haters.

Irrelevant to the topic of Nurse becoming one of the worst contracts in hockey.

Bruce Granville

Oct 11, 2014
I don't think the Oilers are likely to do that, considering it would leave them with 4 and a half million dollars of dead cap until 2030. They just have to hope Nurse improves.
I guess that‘s plan B.
Their first plan should involve the letters L, T, I and R.

SeanMoneyHands

Apr 18, 2019
9M dollar defenseman and he's unable to carry his partner to become a legit top pairing defenseman. Great defenseman do this.

Cup or Bust

Oct 17, 2017
There is nothing wrong with Nurse. The guy is a plus player playing 26 minutes a game with a bottom pairing d-man every game. He is physical, great at rushing the puck, durable, excellent skater. The guy will score 40 points a season mostly at even strength. Just like anyone that signs long term in Edmonton it's a bit high but you are not getting what he brings for less than 7 or 8 million a season at best. He is the least of the Oilers worries. People blaming guys like Nurse, McDavid, and Draisaitl are so clueless but it is great entertainment.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad