Confirmed Signing with Link: [EDM] Darnell Nurse signs extension with the Oilers (8 years, $9.25M AAV) PART II

syz

[1, 5, 6, 14]
Jul 13, 2007
I know but rumours were that he was happy to sign in Edmonton and then didn't

He was offered a contract and chose to go elsewhere. Overpaying for another mediocre defenseman doesn't fix the Oilers blue line. It was sunk as soon as Klefbom broke beyond repair.

I don't know the numbers off the top of my head but it would not surprise me if Ceci is either equaling or outperforming Larsson this year anyways.

Roof Daddy

Apr 1, 2008
I take a Chairot/manson plus another rugged defencemen to actually play defence

than Nurse plus Russell 11/10 times!

not to mention, if they waited until this year and negotiate somewhere in the range of 6-8m instead of 9.25 and Nurse is not having it = TRADE HIM and GET ASSETS TO TOP IT OFF

so in 2022-23 you are essentially getting - a Chairot/Manson + another solid dman AND multiple assets from a Nurse trade

NOW he is virtually untradeable

I like how in your 20/20 hindsight scenario you just trade Nurse without batting an eye after a career year. Best buddies with McDavid, played like a legit# 1 D , but you trade him to open up future cap space a year away to sign a couple 2nd pair defensive Dmen who may or may not even enter free agency (or may choose one of the 30 other options they have in free agency). How could we have been so foolish???

No one is denying that the contract was an overpay at the time and looks even worse now. I've always maintained the Oil shot themselves in the foot when they had an ideal contract comparable in Josh Morrissey after the 2nd contracts (coming out of ELC, both he and Morrissey got 2 yr bridge deal; Nurse 3.2 avg; Morrissey 3.15 avg). Jets made the right play locking Morrissey up to a 8 yr, 6.25 avg deal. Both played similar roles for their team, same age, same draft year. Morrissey even signed first, so the comparable for Nurse was there. That's where the Oil f***ed up supremely.

But the past is the past. What the Oil need now to get Nurse back on track is pair him with a defensive stud. He's stuck trying to play more of a defence first role because he's consistently paired with Bouchard or Barrie, both whom have been atrocious in their own end. Nurse has to be the man jumping up in the play and aggressively pinching. That's where he's at his best. He will never be worth his contract, but the Oil could do a better job of setting him up for success with how they pair him. In rare times that he's paired with Ceci they've looked good together.

ElPrimeTime

Dec 23, 2014
Edmonton, AB
If we look at it honestly, a lot of the Oilers d problems are because of Klefbom.

- If Klefbom doesn't miss all of last year, Nurse doesn't get the minutes, doesn't have as good of a year and doesn't get this huge contract
- If Klefbom is healthy, Larsson probably sticks around since they apparently talk everyday and Barrie isn't re-signed
- If Klefbom is healthy, Keith isn't needed or traded for as the top 2 LD would be Klef and Nurse

I miss Klefbom. :(

ManofSteel55

Aug 15, 2013
Sylvan Lake, Alberta
I like how in your 20/20 hindsight scenario you just trade Nurse without batting an eye after a career year. Best buddies with McDavid, played like a legit# 1 D , but you trade him to open up future cap space a year away to sign a couple 2nd pair defensive Dmen who may or may not even enter free agency (or may choose one of the 30 other options they have in free agency). How could we have been so foolish???

No one is denying that the contract was an overpay at the time and looks even worse now. I've always maintained the Oil shot themselves in the foot when they had an ideal contract comparable in Josh Morrissey after the 2nd contracts (coming out of ELC, both he and Morrissey got 2 yr bridge deal; Nurse 3.2 avg; Morrissey 3.15 avg). Jets made the right play locking Morrissey up to a 8 yr, 6.25 avg deal. Both played similar roles for their team, same age, same draft year. Morrissey even signed first, so the comparable for Nurse was there. That's where the Oil f***ed up supremely.

But the past is the past. What the Oil need now to get Nurse back on track is pair him with a defensive stud. He's stuck trying to play more of a defence first role because he's consistently paired with Bouchard or Barrie, both whom have been atrocious in their own end. Nurse has to be the man jumping up in the play and aggressively pinching. That's where he's at his best. He will never be worth his contract, but the Oil could do a better job of setting him up for success with how they pair him. In rare times that he's paired with Ceci they've looked good together.
One thing I find hilarious is that people were screaming "bad contract" from the rooftops because of his high shooting percentage last year, citing it isn't sustainable, which is true, but they aren't considering his below career average shooting percentage this year when talking about how "bad" he is this year. Which he isn't. During our last losing streak he was the only skater playing worth anything really.

Reactions: TFHockey

Church Hill

I'd drink it
Nov 16, 2007
Probably Nurse's worst game of the season just happened. Turnover after braindead turnover, totally hindered his team all night in a critical rivalry loss. Brutal.

Trafalgar Sadge Law

Nov 8, 2007
Dog shit contract by a dog shit general manager. Not the player's fault, if the manager in question you're negotiating with has the mental capacity of a baboon why would you NOT milk him for every penny you can?

Reactions: periferal

Laus723

Graceful brutality
Sponsor
Jan 27, 2006
Wellington, FL
Dog shit contract by a dog shit general manager. Not the player's fault, if the manager in question you're negotiating with has the mental capacity of a baboon why would you NOT milk him for every penny you can?

started with the absurd Jones contract. Allowed agents asking for the world for defensemen and GMs just handed them out. In a flat cap world at that.

Trafalgar Sadge Law

Nov 8, 2007
started with the absurd Jones contract. Allowed agents asking for the world for defensemen and GMs just handed them out. In a flat cap world at that.
At least ~20% of NHL executives within the 32 franchises at any given point are unqualified for the positions they hold.

Reactions: Laus723

nbwingsfan

Dec 13, 2009
You really do have to feel sorry for Oiler fans at this point, regardless of who you cheer for.

This has got to be the most pathetic group of back to back to back to back management in a very long time.

It boggles my mind that a group of the “best” analysts and hockey leaders in the world can think this is a good contract to sign when 99% of non Oiler hockey fans could tell immediately that this was a brutal contract

La Bamba

Tier 2 Fan
Aug 23, 2009
this guy is gonna be grossly overpaid. he's playing like a 5M d man this year.

holland bought into nurse's family hype and paid way too much for someone who is not special in any way.

Double Dion

Jets fan 28/06/2014
Feb 9, 2011
If we look at it honestly, a lot of the Oilers d problems are because of Klefbom.

- If Klefbom doesn't miss all of last year, Nurse doesn't get the minutes, doesn't have as good of a year and doesn't get this huge contract
- If Klefbom is healthy, Larsson probably sticks around since they apparently talk everyday and Barrie isn't re-signed
- If Klefbom is healthy, Keith isn't needed or traded for as the top 2 LD would be Klef and Nurse

I miss Klefbom. :(
Klefbom was super underrated. He would solve a lot of the Oilers issues. They still would need 1 more Klefbom, but one hole is easier to fill than 2.

Double Dion

Jets fan 28/06/2014
Feb 9, 2011
Nurse kind of is what he is. He's physical, skates well, shoot hard and other than tonight is ok with the puck. But he reminds me of my username. Like Dion he has no defensive awareness. The amount of times he is standing beside the guy who scores looking lost is staggering.

Reddwit

Feb 4, 2016
Detroit’s back end is still suffering from Ken Holland’s handiwork. We’re paying $5.5M for Dekeyser to be a 6/7. $5.5M for Dekeyser felt like $9M at the time he signed that deal. :laugh:

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
One thing I find hilarious is that people were screaming "bad contract" from the rooftops because of his high shooting percentage last year, citing it isn't sustainable, which is true, but they aren't considering his below career average shooting percentage this year when talking about how "bad" he is this year. Which he isn't. During our last losing streak he was the only skater playing worth anything really.

Largely because he's shooting around what he typically does in a season?

Nurse's shooting percentage each year since he became a regular:
2.5%
5.9%
3.1%
5.1%
2.9%

This year - 3.7%. That's better than 3 of his seasons and only slightly under his two "high" seasons" by 2.2% and 1.4%, respectively. That's hardly the same thing as when he shot 10.4% last year which is literally double the vast majority of his career.

OG Eberle

Aug 25, 2011
3/4 of a season into a contract extension and HF Boards has their pitchforks and torches out... again...

No one argued that it was an overpay at the time, but also a necessary one for a multitude of reasons.

Nurse is FAR from our biggest problem on the roster. Any one who thinks otherwise is just joining the chorus of blind EDM haters.

At this rate, the Oilers fan base and media is going to run him out of town like Eberle.

Reactions: Pizza!Pizza!

Akrapovince

May 19, 2017
With Nurse’s skillset and the array of talent he’s surrounded by I see no reason why he cannot have similar impact to Chabot.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad