Confirmed Signing with Link: [EDM] Darnell Nurse signs extension with the Oilers (8 years, $9.25M AAV) PART II

Sugi21

Dec 7, 2016
He's overpaid by $2-2.5M/year max which is not even as much as other Oilers like Barrie and Kassian are overpaid by.
But in a cap world overpaying a bunch of players a million or two adds up real quick not to mention the buy outs they still paying for

Sugi21

Dec 7, 2016
6 million dollar defensemen.
They could have had him for that when he was negotiating an extension after his ELC but they played hardball with him now it backfired same situation as Subban in Montreal except PK had a Norris under his belt

bsu

"I have no idea what I am doing" -Pat VerBleak
Sep 27, 2017
They could have had him for that when he was negotiating an extension after his ELC but they played hardball with him now it backfired same situation as Subban in Montreal except PK had a Norris under his belt
Yep... and Dak Prescott in Dallas... it happens in every sport.

Paper

Nov 4, 2009
I'm well aware it hasn't started yet. But no one is having this "Nurse sucks and is overpaid" circle-jerk in his contract extension thread from last summer (i.e. 3/4 of a season ago) if this wasn't signed.
What? I guess you are correct that no one would be arguing he will be extremely overpaid next season if he did not have a contract. I mean duh?

But take a look at the first page of this thread. Third reply in on August 6:

Part 2 and I still can’t believe we live in world where Nurse is worth 8x9.25M

Liked by 45 people.

When the rumour broke he was looking at making north of 9M there was a lot of people saying how bad the contract would be. And those were the people who believed the rumour. A lot of people just dismissed it as too absurd lol.

Confirmed Signing with Link: - [EDM] Darnell Nurse signs extension with the Oilers (8 years, $9.25M AAV)

Confirmed Signing with Link: - [EDM] Darnell Nurse signs extension with the Oilers (8 years, $9.25M AAV)

When you sign a contract and it invokes the name of Redden, it's a bad contract ha.

Llamamoto

Nice Bison. Kind Bison. Yep.
Sep 5, 2018
It's honestly hilarious how posters here have convinced themselves that Nurse is a 2/3D.

He's playing some of the hardest minutes in the league on a terrible D-corps with suboptimal partners, and manages to maintain positive possession, shot, chance, and goal rates. How is that not a #1D?

He's had 2 bad games and everyone jumps to bump this thread. He isn't worth 9+ million because he isn't on the level of high-end #1s like Makar/Fox/Hedman, but he's still a decent #1 defensemen and not even close to being one of Edmonton's biggest issues.

bsu

"I have no idea what I am doing" -Pat VerBleak
Sep 27, 2017
It's honestly hilarious how posters here have convinced themselves that Nurse is a 2/3D.

He's playing some of the hardest minutes in the league on a terrible D-corps with suboptimal partners, and manages to maintain positive possession, shot, chance, and goal rates. How is that not a #1D?

He's had 2 bad games and everyone jumps to bump this thread. He isn't worth 9+ million because he isn't on the level of high-end #1s like Makar/Fox/Hedman, but he's still a decent #1 defensemen and not even close to being one of Edmonton's biggest issues.
He himself might not be the biggest Edmonton issue...but that contract will be.

KillerMillerTime

Jun 30, 2019

Guy is just flat out a dumb hockey player. Has very good to great physical tools but a ten cent brain.
You'll never come close to maxing his physical tools.

Reactions: Fisticuffer

WhiskeyYerTheDevils

yer leadin me astray
Sponsor
Apr 27, 2005
Top Dman are hard to find so when you do have one you kind of open the bank for them Leon is not even the best centre on his team
Wait, you actually think paying Nurse more than Draisaitl is a good decision?

You're right about one thing. Top dmen are hard to find. Edmonton continues the search to this day.

x Tame Impala

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 24, 2011
With cap it would be incredible difficult to build anything longterm with contracts like that

As opposed to what though. You only get max value out of these contracts for maybe the first 3-4 years. “Longterm” gets sabotaged when you have lengthy contracts with high AAV’s for underperforming players

Llamamoto

Nice Bison. Kind Bison. Yep.
Sep 5, 2018
Guy is just flat out a dumb hockey player. Has very good to great physical tools but a ten cent brain.
You'll never come close to maxing his physical tools.

His cerebral game has really come around this season. The 'all tools no toolbox" argument is a stereotype that may have applied to him in his draft year, but doesn't at all apply to him now.

Quick question: If he's such a dumb hockey player, why does he have such positive metrics playing #1D minutes?

I mean if he was paid properly (around 7.5 million imo), we could have an extra 1.5-2 million on our hands for a depth forward/defensemen? I'm more than willing to overpay our star players if those are the consequences. A #2D and a #5D do not equal a #1D.

ManofSteel55

Aug 15, 2013
Sylvan Lake, Alberta
No it won't. He's 1 - 2 million overpaid. It's not fun to have anyone overpaid, but one contract overpaid like that isn't going to hurt a team. It's the depth guys being 1 - 2 million overpaid (Kassian, Keith) and the depth guys who aren't worth a dime but taking a chunk of salary (Turris).

MarkusNaslund19

Dec 28, 2005
They could have, but that's a risk. At that point, he's only a few months from free agency, so if Nurse decided he wanted out, or wanted to wait to see what the best offer is, then they really risk losing him for nothing.
It's true, and I realize that it would have felt like a horrific step back to lose Nurse during McDavid and Draisaitl's time. But was it a gamble that you want to make for 8 years and more than 72 million? I think time is showing that the prevailing wisdom that it might not be the best move was correct.

Boondock

Feb 6, 2009
File that one under “water is wet”.

While I’m at it I’ll add this. Granted it’s a homer outlook and may have already been posted but how in the world can Nurse get paid waaaay more than Adam Pelech?

I know offensive Dmen command a premium but Nurse isn’t worth Pelech in an even up trade let alone being paid $3.5M/year more.
Timing.....Nurse signed after he had a season stat line of 56games, 16 goals, 36 points. Pelech signed after 56games, 4 goals, 14 points. Even though they're both defense, being able to score more goals than Pelech had points still carries a lot of weight.

GOilers88

#DustersWinCups
Dec 24, 2016
It's true, and I realize that it would have felt like a horrific step back to lose Nurse during McDavid and Draisaitl's time. But was it a gamble that you want to make for 8 years and more than 72 million? I think time is showing that the prevailing wisdom that it might not be the best move was correct.
I just dont see how they replace him.

If you have any reasonable ideas I'm open to hearing them. Thinking they just let him walk and then sign someone else to anchor the defense corps seems like fantasy.

The contract sucks, I agree. Its going to hamper the team. I just honestly don't see a way around it though, unfortunately. This team without Nurse? Even more woof.

MarkusNaslund19

Dec 28, 2005
I just dont see how they replace him.

If you have any reasonable ideas I'm open to hearing them. Thinking they just let him walk and then sign someone else to anchor the defense corps seems like fantasy.

The contract sucks, I agree. Its going to hamper the team. I just honestly don't see a way around it though, unfortunately. This team without Nurse? Even more woof.
Well I'm more suggesting that their tolerance for risk could have been higher.

I get it that it's easier to get a player to agree to a contract when he has more than a year to wait for UFA. But if they had even waited until mid December they could have either gotten him at a lower rate, or ascertained that his value wasn't that high (9.25 mil).

You do run a higher risk of him leaving, but if he hits a homerun this season too it's gonna cost, what, like an extra 750,00 a year to make it an even 10 mil?

Let me ask you this, are you glad he will be making the money he will make, or would you rather risk him walking at the end of the year? Honest question.

GOilers88

#DustersWinCups
Dec 24, 2016
Well I'm more suggesting that their tolerance for risk could have been higher.

I get it that it's easier to get a player to agree to a contract when he has more than a year to wait for UFA. But if they had even waited until mid December they could have either gotten him at a lower rate, or ascertained that his value wasn't that high (9.25 mil).

You do run a higher risk of him leaving, but if he hits a homerun this season too it's gonna cost, what, like an extra 750,00 a year to make it an even 10 mil?

Let me ask you this, are you glad he will be making the money he will make, or would you rather risk him walking at the end of the year? Honest question.
I agree with your assessment.

Honestly, he's a total workhorse. People can argue about him being a number 1 guy, but he does a pretty good job and is the closest thing the Oilers have to one. There's nothing close in the system. I don't like his new contract. I don't think he's worth 9.25 per year. That said I don't know if anyone could have signed him for less than 8, so I think that extra 1.25 is worth the difference between having him and not having him.

This team wouldn't even be in the race without him this season despite his warts. Not only that, but even if there was a replacement on the open market this off season, what are the odds they choose Edmonton over someone else? History would say not great.

MarkusNaslund19

Dec 28, 2005
I agree with your assessment.

Honestly, he's a total workhorse. People can argue about him being a number 1 guy, but he does a pretty good job and is the closest thing the Oilers have to one. There's nothing close in the system. I don't like his new contract. I don't think he's worth 9.25 per year. That said I don't know if anyone could have signed him for less than 8, so I think that extra 1.25 is worth the difference between having him and not having him.

This team wouldn't even be in the race without him this season despite his warts.
Oh I know there are a lot of dumb memes on here about him being a 'solid #2 or good #3' and I agree, he is a legitimate #1 and would be an utterly elite #2.

But I think that even 7 years from now there will be more than 10 teams who aren't paying their number 1 D man 9 million +. By which I mean, I don't think this is just 'getting out in front' of an emerging trend. I think that he and Seth Jones are both good D who are being paid like great D and I think that is going to be a problem. How much more money can you put into your D? Can you have another 9 or even 8 million dollar D? Probably not.

So now he doesn't just have to be a competent #1, he has to be a superlative one to justify the cost and I just don't see that in him.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Sydney Swans @ Hawthorn Hawks
    Sydney Swans @ Hawthorn Hawks
    Wagers: 6
    Staked: $6,201.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Inter Milan vs Torino
    Inter Milan vs Torino
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $1,447.00