Confirmed Signing with Link: [EDM] Darnell Nurse signs extension with the Oilers (8 years, $9.25M AAV) PART II

ManofSteel55

Aug 15, 2013
Sylvan Lake, Alberta
Watch hockey much? I like Nurse. I like his physicality and overall game but he isn’t a top ten dman in the league.
He's in the conversation for top 10. If he repeats what he did last year he certainly is. There are reasons that he was voted top 10 in Norris voting, and yes I know the voting for NHL awards is flawed, but it certainly backs up the notion that he is a top 10 guy. Really, there is only one tier of superstar defensemen above a large group of guys like Nurse. Clearly he is below guys like Hedman, Makar, Fox (assuming he isn't a one year wonder), and a handful of others, but he is in the next group.

Church Hill

I'd drink it
Nov 16, 2007
He's in the conversation for top 10. If he repeats what he did last year he certainly is. There are reasons that he was voted top 10 in Norris voting, and yes I know the voting for NHL awards is flawed, but it certainly backs up the notion that he is a top 10 guy. Really, there is only one tier of superstar defensemen above a large group of guys like Nurse. Clearly he is below guys like Hedman, Makar, Fox (assuming he isn't a one year wonder), and a handful of others, but he is in the next group.

I challenge you to list the top 10 NHL defenseman, somehow including Darnell "turnover" Nurse in that list. You'll make hilarious omissions and I want to rip them apart for you.

ManofSteel55

Aug 15, 2013
Sylvan Lake, Alberta
I challenge you to list the top 10 NHL defenseman, somehow including Darnell "turnover" Nurse in that list. You'll make hilarious omissions and I want to rip them apart for you.
There's no point in doing this as after the top 5 or so, everyone would have a very different list. Defenseman lists are often more based on reputation than actual results too, as I'm sure your criticisms would be.

Turnovers isn't even a big deal, for what its worth. The top 25 most turnovers list from last year has players like Crosby, Aho, Tavares, M. Tkachuk, Gaudreau, Marner, Matthews, and defensemen including Chabot, Reilly, Muzzin, Petry, Provorov, Letang, Q. Hughes, and yes, Nurse. Hardly a list of bums if you look at it. When you are good enough to spend a lot of time carrying the puck or making outlet passes, turnovers happen.

bukwas

Stanley Cup 2022
Sep 27, 2017
Haven't been paying much attention to hockey or posting lately, with it being summer and so many more interesting things to do outdoors. This contract really caught my eye though. Hope this works out well for Kenny but it strikes me as being a heavy one.

Reactions: Fisticuffer
Aug 10, 2015
I am truly baffled by what non-Oilers fans would have suggested. I confess I quit following these threads by about page 5 of the first one, but in my opinion people (myself included) have been saying for years that the Oilers need a top pairing defenceman, but not easy to sign one in free agency, and not easy to trade for one, so better to develop your own. Now that the Oilers have done that, do people think they should not have resigned him beyond his RFA years? I am pleased to have developed a defenceman that wants to stay in Edmonton and would have been livid if they let him walk next summer.

Not sure what the most likely other option would have been:
- sign him this summer, but for a shorter term..and less money? That seems unlikely, given the way the summer has gone.
- wait until part way into this season and sign him to an extension (taking the chance that he would have to be signed for even a higher cap hit).
- wait until the season is over, and negotiate with him next summer before free agency with the (hope?) that he has a bad season resulting in a lower cap hit (even though he has shown improvement every year).
- let him walk next summer and begin the search for a top pairing defenceman again. (anyone seen Groundhog day?).

In my opinion they chose the best option, and I am happy he has agreed to play his entire career in Edmonton.

Reactions: nerblet

Llamamoto

Nice Bison. Kind Bison. Yep.
Sep 5, 2018
What was Holland thinking with this one?

His hand was forced. Nurse is the one thing preventing the Oilers from having the worst defensive group in the entire league. He's been an absolute rock for us this season.

It's easy to look at his decreased offensive production and say that he's having a bad season, but his two-way game has actually been pretty good this season. He tilts the ice when he's on, and his advanced stats show just that. His relative stats are among top in the entire league (which doesn't say much given the state of our defense), but it does show just how important he is for us. Resigning him was a necessity.

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com
His hand was forced. Nurse is the one thing preventing the Oilers from having the worst defensive group in the entire league. He's been an absolute rock for us this season.

It's easy to look at his decreased offensive production and say that he's having a bad season, but his two-way game has actually been pretty good this season. He tilts the ice when he's on, and his advanced stats show just that. His relative stats are among top in the entire league (which doesn't say much given the state of our defense), but it does show just how important he is for us. Resigning him was a necessity.

Trade him for assets. Hell, acquire Seth Jones.

duckpuck

Sponsor
Jul 10, 2007
If I don’t extend nurse, my #1 lhd becomes the Nearly retired Keith or one of the many 6/7 dmen or a rookie with next to no nhl experience

Which begets the next question, what was Holland thinking trading for Keith? Its crazy that the Oilers have 2 of the top 5 players in the league, both signed to reasonable contracts, yet can't build a decent roster around them to incompetent management.

McDoused

Feb 5, 2007
Katy <3
Tippett has been playing Nurse like 30 minutes a night. Hopefully Woodcroft plays him less but gets him to utilize that TOI better.

Bond

May 10, 2012
Tippett has been playing Nurse like 30 minutes a night. Hopefully Woodcroft plays him less but gets him to utilize that TOI better.
Will be hard when they have no other defensemen. Still can't believe he let Larsson walk lol

Stuart Little

Nov 13, 2019
They didnt have to pay him - worse case = he walks and you have 9.25 M to spend on actual good defencemen -not pretend ones like Nurse

Stuart Little

Nov 13, 2019
If Oilers let him walk
=
Nurse + 9.25
+
Russell's UFA Spot 1.25M
= 10.5M

that money could/would be spend on 2022 Free Agents
2 OF
- Chairot
- Manson
- Lindholm
-etc

But once again, poor management
- WAIT UNTIL THIS YEAR

based on his performance thus far - he is between 6-8m and they save just by being patient

NOW, they have screwed themselves even worse by virtue of him getting the huge raise next year

Stuart Little

Nov 13, 2019
I take a Chairot/manson plus another rugged defencemen to actually play defence

than Nurse plus Russell 11/10 times!

not to mention, if they waited until this year and negotiate somewhere in the range of 6-8m instead of 9.25 and Nurse is not having it = TRADE HIM and GET ASSETS TO TOP IT OFF

so in 2022-23 you are essentially getting - a Chairot/Manson + another solid dman AND multiple assets from a Nurse trade

NOW he is virtually untradeable

Stuart Little

Nov 13, 2019
The funniest part of all of this is next year they are paying 3.5 M for Sekera and Neal and STILL DONT HAVE AN NHL GOALIE!!!!!

Reactions: Voight

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad