GDT: [ECSF GAME 5] NYR@CAR- THERE'S NO PLACE LIKE HOME

Joe McGrath

Oct 29, 2009
Ok so I don’t have a problem with Jarvis’s injury as I understand the follow through rule and it not being a penalty. What I don’t understand is how when Trocheck did it and got a penalty in the regular season the excuse was that he missed the puck.

Strome missed the puck too so what is the actual rule and why have the 3 times it’s come into play this season for the Canes they are the ones on the shit end of it?

CanesUltimate11

Nov 24, 2008
Northern Virginia
Ok so I don’t have a problem with Jarvis’s injury as I understand the follow through rule and it not being a penalty. What I don’t understand is how when Trocheck did it and got a penalty in the regular season the excuse was that he missed the puck.

Strome missed the puck too so what is the actual rule and why have the 3 times it’s come into play this season for the Canes they are the ones on the shit end of it?
My only thought here would be that Strome missed the puck because Jarvis knocked it away. As opposed to Strome simply whiffing. Having said that I don’t recall how Trochek missed the puck.

Most likely reason, outright incompetence and game management.

DaveG

Noted Jerk
Apr 7, 2003
Winston-Salem NC
My only thought here would be that Strome missed the puck because Jarvis knocked it away. As opposed to Strome simply whiffing. Having said that I don’t recall how Trochek missed the puck.

Yep. It was either a horse shit non call last night or a horse shit call earlier in the year on Tro. And to be fair I'm heavily in the non call was fine camp, and the call earlier on Tro was horse shit.

Of course the refs not blowing it dead with Jarvis down and bleeding in the middle of play is the epitomy of horse shit.

Tryamw

Loyal Fan of Jerks
Sponsor
Nov 2, 2016
Durham
Yep. It was either a horse shit non call last night or a horse shit call earlier in the year on Tro. And to be fair I'm heavily in the non call was fine camp, and the call earlier on Tro was horse shit.

Of course the refs not blowing it dead with Jarvis down and bleeding in the middle of play is the epitomy of horse shit.
That's my thoughts

Hunter Gathers

The Crown
Feb 27, 2002
parts unknown

If they are bent in, they are going to probably be removed. That was brutal.

I figured immediately his face was pretty f***ed up after that. I mean, Strome is kind of a weakling and all, but it's still a full follow-through from a shot. Don't care if it's Strome or a HS hockey kid - that is going to hurt like a MFer.

I'd argue that the thing you are talking about in the regular season was just a bad call. I don't know the play, but whiffing on a shot should still not be a call. The intent is still there to shoot the puck and it's not like the stick is moving substantively slower when there is connection made . . .

Blueline Bomber

AI Generated Minnesota Wild
Sponsor
Oct 31, 2007

I think we benefited earlier in the year from the “injured player is obviously injured, but refs can’t blow it dead until teammates get the puck” rule, so I’m not going to complain about it happening last night. By the rulebook, as long as the Rangers have possession and can generate scoring chances, they can’t blow it dead (Barring a grievous injury like a skate blade to the neck or something like that).

Reactions: DaveG

CanesUltimate11

Nov 24, 2008
Northern Virginia

I figured immediately his face was pretty f***ed up after that. I mean, Strome is kind of a weakling and all, but it's still a full follow-through from a shot. Don't care if it's Strome or a HS hockey kid - that is going to hurt like a MFer.

I'd argue that the thing you are talking about in the regular season was just a bad call. I don't know the play, but whiffing on a shot should still not be a call. The intent is still there to shoot the puck and it's not like the stick is moving substantively slower when there is connection made . . .
Yeah most likely just a bad call during the regular season on Trochek with some BS excuse to explain it away. I can't recall ever seeing a follow through called before because they missed the puck.

Reactions: DaveG and Tryamw

Tryamw

Loyal Fan of Jerks
Sponsor
Nov 2, 2016
Durham

It was After an incident where Chara High sticked Trocheck and they said follow through so Whatever

then Against Anaheim next night he did the same thing (Or close enough) And got called for the High stick.

Anaheim Ducks - Carolina Hurricanes - April 10th, 2022 is the game. but no display of the incident

Last edited:

Discipline Daddy

Brentcent Van Burns
Nov 27, 2009
Raleigh, NC
This was a statement game. I hate to be that guy, but I'm going to be that guy. Rangers shouldn't have scored at all. Their first PP goal was a bullshit powerplay for the Rangers, and the 2nd goal that was taken off was offsides by a couple of feet. Tough break for the Rangers but we've been bitten by that 100 times this year, and also that was one Rantaa really should've stopped. We very much dominated play in that game, and especially in the second. Canes had much more primetime offensive opportunities, and would have scored a few more were it not for stellar goaltending and stellar goalposting.

The biggest concern going into game 5 for me was that we haven't gotten much offense going this round, and this game helped alleviate that concern a bit. 3 goals isn't a barrage, but the amount of good looks we had was great. The passing and offensive finish was a hell of a lot better than some games this series, though it still has room for improvement. The Canes played their style all game.

Moving on to game 6, there definitely is a mental thing about road games we need to solve. And it probably comes down to special teams performance. Let's hope we don't take a parade to the box. I think we've been more disciplined in this series than against Boston, and I feel also that a handful of our penalties have been the variety that would not be called if our jerseys were different.

If we do move onto the next round, if I were a betting man I'd bet that Andersen will start. He looked better in his two games against Tampa than Rantaa did in his 1.

Nikishin Go Boom

Russian Bulldozer Consultent
Jul 31, 2017
Im not buying this Raanta should have the last 2. Are we saying goalies should stop all of ovi’s PP goals too?

Its hard to push from one side to the other and move your blocker to the exact place where the shot is being placed, simultaneously.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad