GDT: [ECSF GAME 5] NYR@CAR- THERE'S NO PLACE LIKE HOME

Chrispy

Salakuljettaja's Blues
Feb 25, 2009
Cary, NC
Ok so I don’t have a problem with Jarvis’s injury as I understand the follow through rule and it not being a penalty. What I don’t understand is how when Trocheck did it and got a penalty in the regular season the excuse was that he missed the puck.

Strome missed the puck too so what is the actual rule and why have the 3 times it’s come into play this season for the Canes they are the ones on the shit end of it?
I feel like the Jarvis one is different in that contact was made below or close to Strome’s waist. Hard to call high sticking on Strome when Jarvis threw his face down there to stop the shot. Does not explain the discrepancy earlier this year though.

That said, I agree with DaveG that it was dangerous to let play continue there. Once the Rangers pulled the puck out the play should have been dead.

CanesUltimate11

Nov 24, 2008
Northern Virginia
I feel like the Jarvis one is different in that contact was made below or close to Strome’s waist. Hard to call high sticking on Strome when Jarvis threw his face down there to stop the shot. Does not explain the discrepancy earlier this year though.

That said, I agree with DaveG that it was dangerous to let play continue there. Once the Rangers pulled the puck out the play should have been dead.
Seriously, my understanding is the refs can stop play at their discretion for an injured player even if the offense still control the puck. Dude was lying facedown it the middle of the slot. Like, there is no more dangerous place to be face down and defenseless on the rink....

Of course per the series thread and the keyboard warriors he was down looking for a stoppage and could have totally gotten up and kept going....

Hunter Gathers

The Crown
Feb 27, 2002
parts unknown
I think we benefited earlier in the year from the “injured player is obviously injured, but refs can’t blow it dead until teammates get the puck” rule, so I’m not going to complain about it happening last night. By the rulebook, as long as the Rangers have possession and can generate scoring chances, they can’t blow it dead (Barring a grievous injury like a skate blade to the neck or something like that).

My view is, too, that the whistle should only be blown if there is a serious expectation that not blowing it can cause further injury. If he had taken a stick or skate to the neck or a puck directly to the face, that changes things.

The only problem is the rule seems to be very opaque.

Hunter Gathers

The Crown
Feb 27, 2002
parts unknown
Can't believe the naivety. We all know cheap TD is in league with Bettman to go to 7 games. It's all about the revenue...

It's also just been great f***ing hockey. I know everyone loves the high scoring, fast paced games, but I think our series against you guys has been the best series in the playoffs. Everything is tense and there is zero relaxing. It's been great, great hockey.

I mean, I want it to go to 7 so we can have a chance of beating you guys but I kinda want it just for the really great games, too. Lol.

Discipline Daddy

Brentcent Van Burns
Nov 27, 2009
Raleigh, NC
Im not buying this Raanta should have the last 2. Are we saying goalies should stop all of ovi’s PP goals too?

Its hard to push from one side to the other and move your blocker to the exact place where the shot is being placed, simultaneously.

Rantaa stopping the first would've been superhuman. I mean it's possible, but a really tough save. I'm saying they shouldn't have had a power play at all, so it's a cheap goal.

The second one he could have stopped, but it's a moot point bc the play was offsides.

Rantaa has been great this playoffs. Hard to ask for more from him.

3CanesInTheBox

Bunch of (Actual) Jerks
Sponsor
Feb 22, 2019
Chatmandu
In this essay, I will discuss things that are precious to me. In conclusion,

04D24F13-DEE5-49D9-BE3B-AFAA163C42DC.jpeg

mikeyfan

Dec 27, 2018
Raanta has been outstanding. However, I have to wonder if Andersen is ready do we not start him Saturday, just to break the Road woes we have. Then bring Raanta back against Tampa.

Reactions: Tryamw

The Faulker 27

Nov 15, 2011
Sauna-Aho
I think Andersen's injury was more serious than they let on, and they're thanking their lucky stars Raanta has not only stayed healthy but also played very well. I made a comment about him needing a break. I still think a career backup with no prior playoff experience could potentially hit a wall, but so far he's giving them a chance to win and that's all that matters.

Last edited:

ndp

Hurricanes Pessimist
Oct 29, 2015
I figure they're likely taking every precaution they can with Anderson. Old man Finn is doing a hell of a job keeping them in games, but I've wondered if their current lack of offensive production isn't maybe related to some minor gameplan adjustments with Raanta in net. Along with the Rangers playing a hell of a defensive series so far. They seemed to play a little more of an aggressive offensive game with Anderson between the pipes imo.

It's a tough situation for sure, if Anderson is, or does eventually get back to 100% it's not like there's an opportunity to ease him back in. He didn't exactly look great when he came back from injury during the regular season if I recall correctly. But at the same time is this level of play sustainable for Raanta?

I'll say this, as much as I hated Freddie getting hurt, it's been an absolute pleasure watching Raanta take the reigns. His energy and attitude are absolutely amazing. I think the team is rallying behind the guy, and while he's no Vasilevskiy he's definitely done his part to keep this team in contention.

Surrounded By Ahos

Las Vegas Desert Ducks Official Team Poster
Sponsor
May 24, 2008
Koko Miami
The question should be "so who's making the Game 6 GDT?"

Is no one paying attention? We need to change up our away GDTs. Someone other than SBA needs to make lo-effort away game 6 GDT. If that doesn't work, Surrounded By Ahos comes back in for a high effort game 7 GDT.
So, is somebody else taking the fall here, or am I on the hook for the gdt today?

Reactions: Tryamw

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad