GDT: [ECSF - GAME 4] HCANES @ RONGOS - A SERIOUS DISCUSSION

Svechhammer

THIS is hockey?
Jun 8, 2017
Why specify regulation? Do road OT wins not count? Because we do have a bunch of those since then. And considering the fact that we missed the playoffs 10 out of those 16 years it's even more misleading.

A regulation win shows a more complete effort where a OT is more of a tossup.

Also, just looked and during the time when we've had those 3 road wins in the playoffs since 2009, we've also had 8 home losses in regulation. And pretty much each time we've dropped a home game, we were not able to back it up with a road win, and it effectively ended our season. A few times we dropped multiple home games in the same series.

Sigurd

Slavin, our Lord and Saver (AKA Extra Goalie)
Feb 4, 2018
North Carolina

Also, just looked and during the time when we've had those 3 road wins in the playoffs since 2009, we've also had 8 home losses in regulation. And pretty much each time we've dropped a home game, we were not able to back it up with a road win, and it effectively ended our season. A few times we dropped multiple home games in the same series.
That's what I'm concerned will happen during this year's playoffs.

AhosDatsyukian

Sep 25, 2020

Maybe but not really. A win is a win in the playoffs. We had a very complete effort in game 3 and lost because we didn't get the lucky bounces and Igor played God mode.

Also, nothing prior to the current Rod as HC era is even remotely relevant considering the team is 100% different than prior teams. Important too to consider the context. As much as we want to win now we are still a very young team and our only playoff series losses have been to Boston and Tampa -- Boston who has been a dominant force in the league for over a decade now and Tampa who is in the middle of one of the best runs in league history with 2 Cups and heavy favorites this year still.

We finally got by Boston. Losing the series to the Rags would be a tremendous disappointment as we are a much better team and more experienced than them. But if we win this series regardless of how it happens there really isn't anything at all to complain about with the last 4 years. We have one of the best salary cap outlooks among contenders and one of the best prospect pools among contenders. It may not be our year to win it all but none of this suggests "yikes" is a reasonable response to the last several years.

rainband

Oct 7, 2009
Natural Stat Trick has the expected goals for the series at 9.4-8.0 for Carolina. MoneyPuck has the expected goals at 11.6-11.4 for Carolina. A 2-2 series feels about right, and I think people need to stop with this idea that we're getting our asses kicked all over the place. To our favor, Carolina can definitely play better than they have. To NY's favor, Shesterkin is clearly in our effing heads right now.

Blueline Bomber

AI Generated Minnesota Wild
Sponsor
Oct 31, 2007

Hope he’s just being humble but his choice of words “should”.

Wish the confidence was there to be the frontrunner. It reminds me of folks who get promoted and don’t want it.

Ian Cole was confident before game 4. That didn't work out. Same with Smith(?) before Game 6 in Boston.

These guys should be humble, because they've not shown any reason to be confident in this series.

Lempo

Recovering Future Considerations Truther
Sponsor
Feb 23, 2014
I think we need a Finnman or Ruskiman to make a GDT to get Aho or Svech going. If none will step up *cough @Lempo " I will do the next GDT but I have to work the next 3 days and nights so......not sure how good it will be.
tumblr_psu3msuzUE1xgit8po3_250.gifv

larueskee

Player/Member USA Hockey or affilates 1972-2006
Mar 15, 2017
Seattle, WA
How can Pesce be confident? The guy is a mins 3 in the playoffs as is his partner. Why does Rod continue to give them well over 20 minutes a night? Insanity at play here. Rod thinks keeping these guys on the ice gives him a better chance at some scoring but it is the other team that is scoring with them on the ice. The other 4 d men are all plus but the 2nd pair is a collective minus 6. Flippin wake up Rod.

Big Daddy Cane

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 8, 2010
Western PA
How can Pesce be confident? The guy is a mins 3 in the playoffs as is his partner. Why does Rod continue to give them well over 20 minutes a night? Insanity at play here. Rod thinks keeping these guys on the ice gives him a better chance at some scoring but it is the other team that is scoring with them on the ice. The other 4 d men are all plus but the 2nd pair is a collective minus 6. Flippin wake up Rod.

Satire, right?

If not, Skjei - Pesce is playing against top competition. Smith - Cole would have done a lot worse than -3 heads up against Bergeron and Marchand.

LakeLivin

Armchair Quarterback
Mar 11, 2016
North Carolina
This board: "this team is playing like shit, nothing good to even talk about or mention. Totally broken."

ESPN: *doesn't talk about or mention anything good about this team*

This board:
View attachment 551788

On the one hand I know that shit posting about the team is a way to let off steam when things get frustrating. On the other hand I think that posting for some approaches the level of emotional tourette syndrome. I've got to believe that some of the things that get posted in the heat of the moment wouldn't be posted a few hours later.

Finlandia WOAT

js7.4x8fnmcf5070124
May 23, 2010
Because they are playing Boston and NYR, who are teams with 107 and 110 points on the season. Rangers lost 10 games in regulation at home. Boston 13. Boston only lost 13 on the road in reg this season, and got smashed 4 straight by the Canes.

The home/away thing is a little flukey, but these are 3 very very good teams, and any result is possible any night, because they are very evenly matched overall.

And Carolina is missing its goaltender who just put up a Vezina caliber year, going against the first goalie in 69 years to be nominated for a Hart.

Raanta was good last night. Shesterkin played like a Vezina goalie.

Svechhammer

THIS is hockey?
Jun 8, 2017
It’s obvious that special teams is the cause of the playoff failures. I don’t know what can be done to fix that since during the regular season they are great and I’m the playoffs they are butt.
The PP turned to crap shortly after New Year's, and its been absolutely brutal since February.

Its almost like our opponents were able to adjust to our strategy and we have absolutely no idea how to react to it.

Svechhammer

THIS is hockey?
Jun 8, 2017
Praying you find some moments of peace as we go through this tragedy. Brutal and heartbreaking and evil.

Take care of yourself.

We all express ourselves in different ways and the team blew chunks tonight.

Its been 15 years since all that shit went down when I was a student. 15 years and not a goddamn thing has even been attempted to stop this shit. 23 years since Columbine, 15 years since Virginia Tech, 10 years since Sandy Hook. High schoolers, college students, elementary school students have all been killed en masse and not a single f***ing person with the ability to do something has done a goddamn thing to even try to attempt to stop this from happening again. And sure as shit, the past 24 hours have devolved into both sides of the political spectrum flinging sanctimonious bullshit toward the other side while trying to wash their hands of the blood.

And still, nobody is going to do a f***ing thing.

I found my peace over what happened years ago. I found it not too long after it happened because there was no sense in obsessing over it. But with every year this kind of shit keeps happening, and every year the f***ing politicians in power refuse to act, it only pisses me off more. Your thoughts and prayers ain't worth a f***ing shit anymore. They were never worth a f***ing thing. Those jackasses are all talk no action and its us citizens and soon to be our f***ing kids who are going to literally take the bullets to the chest so they can pocket more and more money from the gun lobby.

I'm not heartbroken over what happened in Texas. I'm furious. I'm furious this keeps happening. I'm furious that nothing will be done about it. I'm furious that Houston is about to hold a NRA convention over the weekend where their governor who passed executive orders that made it possible earlier this year for this 18 year old murderer to buy his guns and ammo will be speaking and honored. Literally while children who were gunned down in their classroom are being buried a few miles away.

f*** these motherf***ers in power. They have failed us citizens, and its only a matter of time before the backlash begins. And once it does, its going to get real f***ing bloody real f***ing quick.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad