GDT: [ECSF - GAME 4] HCANES @ RONGOS - A SERIOUS DISCUSSION

Sigurd

Slavin, our Lord and Saver (AKA Extra Goalie)
Feb 4, 2018
North Carolina
Rangers promised they would run players, Gallant spends 2 days specifically calling out Domi, and they do that in the first period?!?!?!

And of f***ing course we go on the PK

WOW
NHL doing NHL things.

The announcers: BuT DoMi FeLL oVer.

Former NHL Ref with such wonderfully insightful comments: ThEy maDe tHe riGht cALL.

Also one of the announcers: iT cOuldN'T haVe HaPpEneD tO a bEtTer GuY.

Also, ESPN is continuing with a 4 game streak of interviewing only Rangers during the 1st intermission, and a bench interview during play in the 2nd period with Rod. Ya know, it's not much of a conspiracy that ESPN likes the Rangers more when there's a clear pattern 🧐. Poor Emily Kaplan has to interview Hurricane players during the 2nd intermission instead of a Ranger. Tonight's interview with Cole seemed almost painful for her; I don't want anyone to twist her arm to interview Carolina outside of a shortened bench interview with Rod.

Why did lorentz get a 10 min misconduct thats such bullshit
This is what left me the most confused, and the former NHL ref that's a rules analyst didn't explain it either. Even after retiring as a ref, they still f*** up royally.

Now that I've vented about all of that, I have to say the Canes really need to get their shit together and win on the road for once in the playoffs. I don't expect their powerplay to noticeably improve in this year's playoffs, but getting a PP goal occasionally sure would be nice too. I feel like we've talked about these things just a few times before though.

Head Banging gif.gif

Last edited:

CanesUltimate11

Nov 24, 2008
Northern Virginia
NHL doing NHL things.

The announcers: BuT DoMi FeLL oVer.

Former NHL Ref with such wonderfully insightful comments: ThEy maDe tHe riGht cALL.

Also one of the announcers: iT cOuldN'T haVe HaPpEneD tO a bEtTer GuY.

Also, ESPN is continuing with a 4 game streak of interviewing only Rangers during the 1st intermission, and a bench interview during play in the 2nd period with Rod. Ya know, it's not much of a conspiracy that ESPN likes the Rangers more when there's a clear pattern 🧐. Poor Emily Kaplan has to interview Hurricane players during the 2nd intermission instead of a Ranger. Tonight's interview with Cole seemed almost painful for her; I don't want anyone to twist her arm to interview Carolina outside of a shortened bench interview with Rod.

This is what left me the most confused, and the former NHL ref that's a rules analyst didn't explain it either. Even after retiring as a ref, they still f*** up royally.

Now that I've vented about all of that, I have to say the Canes really need to get their shit together and win on the road for once in the playoffs. I don't expect their powerplay to noticeably improve in this year's playoffs, but getting a PP goal occasionally sure would be nice too. I feel like we've talked about these things just a few times before though.

View attachment 551628
Jesus people can we stop bitching about the broadcast and the interviews already!, who freaking cares! They interview a Rangers player between the first and the second and they interview a Hurricanes player between the second and the third. WOW WHAT HORRIBLE NY BIAS!!!

And Lorentz got a 10 min because that's how the instigator rule works, 2+5+10.

Now the bigger issue is the fact that it's been a bloody coinflip as to whether they call an instigator all season and they chose to call it now in the playoffs. After a guy gets hit in the head (due to slipping but still) No shit someone is going to go after him. Not to mention Reeves talking about taking runs at people.

The hit on Done was legal.. he tried to duck the hit and got caught..
He slipped he didn't try to duck it

Tryamw

Loyal Fan of Jerks
Sponsor
Nov 2, 2016
Durham
Jesus people can we stop bitching about the broadcast and the interviews already!, who freaking cares! They interview a Rangers player between the first and the second and they interview a Hurricanes player between the second and the third. WOW WHAT HORRIBLE NY BIAS!!!

And Lorentz got a 10 min because that's how the instigator rule works, 2+5+10.

Now the bigger issue is the fact that it's been a bloody coinflip as to whether they call an instigator all season and they chose to call it now in the playoffs. After a guy gets hit in the head (due to slipping but still) No shit someone is going to go after him. Not to mention Reeves talking about taking runs at people.

He slipped he didn't try to duck it
No If we get in a fight it's been almost automatic.. Though not having an easy time checking that.
EDIT:
10 Fights -
Svech No instigator
smith No instigator
TDA No instigator
Cole No instigator
Trocheck no instigator
Pesce Instigator
Koko Instigator
Smith No instigator
Cole No instigator

Playoffs
Lorentz Instigator

30% called against us.. 0% for the other team.. Just saying.. taken from Hockey Fights and then looking up the game on NHL..

Last edited:

Sigurd

Slavin, our Lord and Saver (AKA Extra Goalie)
Feb 4, 2018
North Carolina
Just came here to say this...that instigator penalty on Lorentz is why I hardly watch the NHL anymore. Trouba with the dirty hit and cross-check, the penalty goes to the guy defending his teammate. The NHL isn't what is used to be. I'm not a fan of either team, in particular, but that was brutal.
Huh, what do you know. A neutral non-biased viewer (I don't say fan given your negative views of the NHL) reaches that conclusion. Interesting. Looks like I have some good company on the BS of that whole situation. @LoveGoons Now go back to the Rangers board.

And remember folks, the former NHL ref/rules expert said he didn't have any problem with head contact, and an ESPN commentator (Callahan according to Svechhammer) said "it couldn't have happened to a better guy than Domi." Classy and insightful. Thanks ESPN; you're showing why your commentators/"analysts" get paid the big bucks :clap:

Last edited:

Big Daddy Cane

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 8, 2010
Western PA
In 18 non-Bubble playoff road games under Brind'Amour, the Canes are now at a -19 goal differential on special teams.

Tripp often talks about the 100% mark for combined efficiency. The Canes are now at ~75% in that sample. The opponent, therefore, is at ~125%.

I'm more willing to give the PK a pass. They've run up against some high end PPs in recent years. Getting outexecuted happens, I guess. ~65.8% is horrendous, though.

The multi-year PP failures (~9.5%) have no such excuse. I'm not sure it's even a coaching thing. A lot of different combinations of players in different spots have contributed to that power failure.

Brock Anton

flames #badnwagon
Nov 8, 2009
Westerly, RI

I mean, your overall point is correct, but Callahan saying that the Trouba hit on Domi "couldn't have happened to a nicer guy" is pretty f***ing shitty. ESPN has to get him off Rangers broadcasts, the guy just can't be objective, it's all Rangers all the time with him.

CanesUltimate11

Nov 24, 2008
Northern Virginia
I mean, your overall point is correct, but Callahan saying that the Trouba hit on Domi "couldn't have happened to a nicer guy" is pretty f***ing shitty. ESPN has to get him off Rangers broadcasts, the guy just can't be objective, it's all Rangers all the time with him.
Yeah that is true. I didn’t listen to the intermission report but any analyst saying that is garbage but especially an obvious Ranger guy.

Reactions: geehaad and Tryamw

hblueridgegal

Timing is Everything
Sponsor
Sep 13, 2019
Old North State
Still hoping the mental toughness will arrive someday. If so, I believe many of the things that ail them wouldn’t be a factor or would be minimized. The self belief and single mindedness would see them through weird ref calls, road challenges, ability to set aside early missed opportunities, etc.

What I see is a team and coach that runs mostly on emotion and when that goes south or gets low so does the focus on the mission. I am not expecting them to be robots but keeping things in check more might help. The season has been been a fun ride but it still feels likely something changed back in February that altered their interest, effort level and personality a bit.

Reactions: Daeavorn and Tryamw

The S5

Jul 27, 2017
The Canes completely shutting down the Rangers PP isn't realistic, as they had one of the best PP's all season long. What is surprising is how ineffective the Canes have been on the PP. That's been a huge factor and I'm sure its now in the players heads.
I really don't think this is on Rod at all. Most PP's are the same around the league. It comes down to execution and commitment.
No small factor that Igor looks to be back on his game again. That save on Pesce in the first had to be a bit demoralizing. Raanta is doing his part, but asking him to match Igor isn't a recipe for success.
I'm a Rangers fan first, but I'm also a Canes fan and season ticket holder. With that said, I really do believe that the Canes have a great chance to win this series.

Reactions: DaveG and Tryamw

AD Skinner

Mar 18, 2009
bubble bath
I know its really neither here nor there but the rules expert guy is such a joke. The whole concept of having it on the broadcast is so transparently an effort to get ahead of the narrative that the refs are at best inconsistent and at worst incompetent.

"Well Bob what does the expert think?"
"Great call! Perfect! Maybe the best call possible- if not ever."
"There you have it folks!"

Svechhammer

THIS is hockey?
Jun 8, 2017
I know its really neither here nor there but the rules expert guy is such a joke. The whole concept of having it on the broadcast is so transparently an effort to get ahead of the narrative that the refs are at best inconsistent and at worst incompetent.

"Well Bob what does the expert think?"
"Great call! Perfect! Maybe the best call possible- if not ever."
"There you have it folks!"
The rules guy outright said "I have no problem with contact to the head" as part of his whole thing last night.

Their studio guy said "That hit couldn't have happened to a nicer guy"

That's all you need to know about ESPN and their broadcast. They're not even attempting to hide the bias against us.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad