GDT: [ECSF - GAME 4] HCANES @ RONGOS - A SERIOUS DISCUSSION

Heyheylj

Jul 24, 2021
Raanta was not the issue. He couldn’t steal us a game, but it wasn’t for lack of trying.

One thing I noticed was the struggle to give and receive a pass cleanly all night. That slight hesitation to get control of an errant puck or deliver a crisp breakout, slowed us down. In each instance it allowed the Rangers to reset and get more positionally sound. They have been good defensively against, giving up very little time and space. Sometimes that second or two matters on a prime scoring chance or transition. Hopefully we get our poise and timing back tomorrow.

Shesterkin should consider being more like Mike Smith.
I bet if you ask 100 nhl goalies, which one has the best chance of giving up a goal like that, they would say Mike Smith😂

Tryamw

Loyal Fan of Jerks
Sponsor
Nov 2, 2016
Durham
Shesterkin should consider being more like Mike Smith.
I'd prefer he was more like Darling.. Smith is at least a low end starter..

Also, I know Necas is the scapegoat this board has decided to single out, but can we all agree Svech is the most disappointing player on the team at the moment? He's been a complete non-factor in both series, and expectations for him are miles above Necas.
Svech has been MIA for most of 9 games.. I wonder if he got dinged by McAvoy in the game after the Lindholm hit.. cause he's been slower and less physical..

Joe McGrath

Oct 29, 2009
Also, I know Necas is the scapegoat this board has decided to single out, but can we all agree Svech is the most disappointing player on the team at the moment? He's been a complete non-factor in both series, and expectations for him are miles above Necas.

Well he’s been playing with Trochek and Necas who have both been f***ing abysmal so that probably isn’t helping.

Reactions: Tryamw and Sigurd

Ole Gil

May 9, 2009
Svech and Necas get a lot of one-timer opportunities on the PP. Their constant whiffing certainly has not helped things.

Reactions: chaz4hockey

VibesAlive

Coastal Jerk
Jun 3, 2018
Salt Marsh NC
Most disappointing to me is the inability of the coaching staff, based on the home-road record, to adjust to anything effectively. Adding in the shit show on special teams, I don't fault the poor performances of certain players the main theme to where we are.

Reactions: Svechhammer and ndp

ndp

Hurricanes Pessimist
Oct 29, 2015
TDA also needs to have a good game or two and get back to his regular season form. It's no surprise that he's not putting up points against the Rags with how terrible the power play has been. Part of that is the Rangers knowing his game and putting on the pressure, not giving him any time and space.

For all the talk of him being in Gallant and the NYR's heads it's looking to me like it's the other way around.

Reactions: AD Skinner

ClarkBolzano

Oct 12, 2018
On a positive note, that was the most aggressive Svech has been since he hit Lindholm.
Guys i understand Hits here and there but Rod said it clearly, he is supposed to score. If He scores 4 goals today an the next one i dont care if He delivers hts o not

ClarkBolzano

Oct 12, 2018
Svech and Necas get a lot of one-timer opportunities on the PP. Their constant whiffing certainly has not helped things.
I dont think the onetimers are th Problem. They got also Metal and that doesnt help. The problem is that Necas, Svech and the other fowards dont get enough

I dont think the onetimers are th Problem. They got also Metal and that doesnt help. The problem is that Necas, Svech and the other fowards dont get enough

Opportunities on the Powerplay to use their onetimers

larueskee

Player/Member USA Hockey or affilates 1972-2006
Mar 15, 2017
Seattle, WA
Satire, right?

If not, Skjei - Pesce is playing against top competition. Smith - Cole would have done a lot worse than -3 heads up against Bergeron and Marchand.
Satire ? No. Reality, yes. Top competition would be playing on the pk against the best offensive players in the world correct? Now when you reply to me you should come come armed with something more than a weak statement like that. Come with facts and that is what I'm going to provide you. Currently in these playoffs, ( I might look into the regular season and dive a little deeper in the future ) These are some facts. The Smith and Cole pairing own a save percentage of 96.55, Slavin ans DA 94.20, Pesce and Skeji 93.48. On ice goals against are lead by Pesce @ 8 or 33% of the goals scored by the Bruins and the Rangers. Next is Skjei with 7 and 25%, Slavin 5 and 15 %, DeAngelo 4 and 14%, and finally Smith and Cole 3 each and 11%. The best defense in the league just might be better by moving minutes around. Now these numbers are just for even strength. On ice goals against in all situations Pesce has been on for a whopping 17 goals against in these playoffs. Simply an amazing number in a negative way. !7 goals against is 61% of all goals allowed by the Canes this playoff. Skjei has been on for 12 total and Cole 6 in total.

Last edited:

MisterDobz

Unauthorized User
Apr 13, 2022
Chicago, Florida
Jarvis has been our second best forward behind Staal.
Really? That’s why he is 6th on the team in scoring? He’s playing with the top two scorers on the team and he’s got bupkis. He’s had a few good moments, but I’m tired of him just playing up high to get the stretch pass, then getting manhandled by the defenseman And losing the puck. Everybody’s whining about TiVo being invisible out there, but he’s leading the team in scoring.

Big Daddy Cane

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 8, 2010
Western PA
Satire ? No. Reality, yes. Top competition would be playing on the pk against the best offensive players in the world correct? Now when you reply to me you should come come armed with something more than a weak statement like that. Come with facts and that is what I'm going to provide you. Currently in these playoffs, ( I might look into the regular season and dive a little deeper in the future ) These are some facts. The Smith and Cole pairing own a save percentage of 96.55, Slavin ans DA 94.20, Pesce and Skeji 93.48. On ice goals against are lead by Pesce @ 8 or 33% of the goals scored by the Bruins and the Rangers. Next is Skjei with 7 and 25%, Slavin 5 and 15 %, DeAngelo 4 and 14%, and finally Smith and Cole 3 each and 11%. The best defense in the league just might be better by moving minutes around. Now these numbers are just for even strength. On ice goals against in all situations Pesce has been on for a whopping 17 goals against in these playoffs. Simply an amazing number in a negative way. !7 goals against is 61% of all goals allowed by the Canes this playoff. Skjei has been on for 12 total and Cole 6 in total.

There is no basis for a comparison straight across like that. A player will most likely be on the ice for more GA when playing more and against better competition. Again, usage is wildly different here. Per Natural Stat Trick, Pesce has played ~81 minutes 5v5 against Bergeron and Zibanejad, the centers for the opponents' respective 1sts lines. Cole has played just ~11 minutes against the players most likely to puck in the net.

Aaaaaaaaaaaaa

May 16, 2009
Edit: erronious post insulting the wrong person and embarrassing myself.

Last edited:

Lempo

Recovering Future Considerations Truther
Sponsor
Feb 23, 2014
I was watching the NHL before you could swim. I haven't as much the last ten years because I was off winning coaching awards and championships in Canada. That's what I know, clown.

You know that moment where you realize you are just a goof on his couch insulting someone with an actual understanding of sport beyond anything you could imagine?

That just happened to you.
Um. I think his ire was towards LoveGoons, not you. He just springboarded your post due to you agreeing with his view.

That having been said, I'm pretty sure he's appreciative of his new asshole that has just been generously ripped for him.

Reactions: Sigurd

Stickpucker

Playmaka
Jan 18, 2014
This game would have been more interesting if that pass that went to Pesce when he saw 2/3 of an open net got released quickly. I was kind of surprised b/c a lot of the time Pesce gives those beaver taps he wants the puck and lets em rip.

The guys need to move the puck with intention not waiting around and seeing what happens.

I have an idea for how to toughen up some of our players.

That one guy has a really nice jab.

Reactions: LakeLivin

LakeLivin

Armchair Quarterback
Mar 11, 2016
North Carolina
This game would have been more interesting if that pass that went to Pesce when he saw 2/3 of an open net got released quickly. I was kind of surprised b/c a lot of the time Pesce gives those beaver taps he wants the puck and lets em rip.

The guys need to move the puck with intention not waiting around and seeing what happens.

Or if Necas' post shot was 1" more to the left. It's hard to determine the "luck" factor in any particular game, but I think it's generally agreed that hockey is much more prone to it than any other major sport.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad