GDT: [ECSF - GAME 4] HCANES @ RONGOS - A SERIOUS DISCUSSION

geehaad

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 24, 2006
I wish I had any other way to watch the game than ESPN.

I might even have to watch the French broadcast just to get away from that bs.
I put it on mute and played music, which immediately reduced my suffering.

It wasn't too long before I was here:

monophy.gif

Sens1Canes2

May 13, 2007
The rules guy outright said "I have no problem with contact to the head" as part of his whole thing last night.

Their studio guy said "That hit couldn't have happened to a nicer guy"

That's all you need to know about ESPN and their broadcast. They're not even attempting to hide the bias against us.
Insert “the” and it makes perfect sense (the Dave Jackson part). Domi being at a 45* angle made head contact impossible to avoid. Thus, he had no problem with the contact to the head.

I’m not sure all of the sudden a retired NHL referee has a hard-on for the Rangers.

Identity404

I'm not superstitious, but I am a little stitious
Nov 5, 2005
Washington DC
Who is your replacement?

Dare I?

I’m drunk, but am I drunk enough?

It would be the lowest effort GDT of all time.

I kinda like idea of current GDT man being able to name next GDT person.

Seems like high effort home GDTs have been the ticket. Maybe a low effort GDT for the next away game is what's needed?
@Tryamw @Wolfpuck @Stickpucker @LakeLivin

All of you have nominated yourselfs as far as I'm concerned. I like the idea of at least a medium to high effort home GDT though.

Blueline Bomber

AI Generated Minnesota Wild
Sponsor
Oct 31, 2007
glad i missed watching this yesterday because it sounds like it was another meltdown

granted, even our wins sound like meltdowns based on the GDTs so... who knows

To be fair, we haven't really played a great game this series. Barely scraped by in Game 1&2, couldn't finish in 3 and didn't show up in 4.

We'll see what team shows up in 5

bleedgreen

Dec 8, 2003
colorado
Visit site
The bias to me is mild, but that’s because I don’t watch our broadcasts. I generally really like McDonough, but he clearly doesn’t like Tony and he did seem happier when the Rangers did well last night. Looking at it overall though the Rangers are playing with heart and busting their tails, they’re the underdog and he’s supposed to be that way overall. When we scored our goal he was equally all over it.

We just gave him very little to work with so it’s not strange that he seemed biased in a game where the underdog outworked us and had a lot of success. When we woke up in the third last game he was all in on it.

He does not like Ragu though.

AD Skinner

Mar 18, 2009
bubble bath
I actually didn't have a huge problem with the hit. It was a little late and he didn't really make any attempt to play the puck but it was only noteworthy because domi was already falling. One could argue that any kind of head contact should be penalized but as the rules are now I don't really believe that was an egregious offense.

Reactions: 3CanesInTheBox

Tryamw

Loyal Fan of Jerks
Sponsor
Nov 2, 2016
Durham
It seems so far in the playoffs any time we face almost any adversity on the road we Play like a train not on the rails.. Our 2 best games Game 4 Boston Challenge and we completely derailed and Game 3 We didn't get to the dirty areas enough (IMO) This game we derailed after the hit..

LostInaLostWorld

Work?
Sponsor
Oct 25, 2016
Central City
Jackson has been a joke all series. This is what he has done every time he is called upon:

PbP and analyst discuss and replay incident. "Let's see what our authority thinks."

Jackson: Repeats what those guys said. Then it's " it will depend on what [insert officials or Toronto here] decide. Either it is X or Y."

Call is made.

Jackson: "They determined X which I believe is the correct decision."

The guy never gives an opinion before the final call is made. He gives no extra insight beyond what the announcers have said. Posters on the board actually have more. And he always agrees with the call.

So either
a. He is inept or he doesn't want to be incorrect, thus he's just worthless.
b. dSPN doesn't want him to actually express an opinion and be wrong.
or for the tinfoil hat crowd
c. The league doesn't want contoversy...

I go with a but would not be shocked by b or c.

Last edited:

Svechhammer

THIS is hockey?
Jun 8, 2017
We now have the franchise longest road losing streak in the playoffs. Which, would be one thing if we were out here losing tight battles that just didn't go our way, but that's just not the case. We're getting thoroughly whipped with nightly mental meltdowns the second we face any kind of adversity.

Not great

Identity404

I'm not superstitious, but I am a little stitious
Nov 5, 2005
Washington DC
The bias to me is mild, but that’s because I don’t watch our broadcasts. I generally really like McDonough, but he clearly doesn’t like Tony and he did seem happier when the Rangers did well last night. Looking at it overall though the Rangers are playing with heart and busting their tails, they’re the underdog and he’s supposed to be that way overall. When we scored our goal he was equally all over it.

We just gave him very little to work with so it’s not strange that he seemed biased in a game where the underdog outworked us and had a lot of success. When we woke up in the third last game he was all in on it.

He does not like Ragu though.
This 100%. In general I think most national announcers try their best to be unbiased. It's just that they tend to slobber all over the team that is playing better, so it can come across as one-sided. The ESPN broadcast and play-by-play just doesn't work for me in general so I don't want to listen to it... I do like Weeks though.

AD Skinner

Mar 18, 2009
bubble bath
I forget where I read it (it may have even been here on this board) but I read about how "analyst" isn't really what they're there to do, and it helped me not mind it so much. They're really there to be hype men and talk about how amazing whatever is happening is. They'll find something to slobber over no matter what happens, and their contribution most of the time is essentially just the bit from the Chris Farley show with a little more pomp and circumstance.

chaz4hockey

Sponsor
Jan 21, 2021
Naples, FL
Part of our struggles is an organization fail.

Domi….game 7 aside was not a good pickup
Team lethargy….should be considering a wolves pickup. I can’t see how Drury noesen or Chatfield could be any worse that Necas, Lorentz, Cole/smith, Domi. Quite frankly, they would be an upgrade.

Sometimes teams in a rut need a boost and/or a shock to get moving again.

raynman

Jan 20, 2013
Part of our struggles is an organization fail.

Domi….game 7 aside was not a good pickup
Team lethargy….should be considering a wolves pickup. I can’t see how Drury noesen or Chatfield could be any worse that Necas, Lorentz, Cole/smith, Domi. Quite frankly, they would be an upgrade.

Something’s teams in a rut need a boost and/or a shock to get moving again.
Don’t worry Martinook is on the way!

EDIT: How funny would it be if Martinook gets back in tomorrow night and they fire off two wins

Svechhammer

THIS is hockey?
Jun 8, 2017
Here's a fun fact.

In 2006, we won 4 road playoff games in regulation (Game 4 Montreal, Game 3 NJ, Game 4 Buffalo, Game 4 Edmonton)

Since that season, we've only won 3... total (2009 Game 7 NJ, 2009 Game 2 Boston, 2019 Game 2 NYI). 16 years, 3 road playoff wins in regulation.

Yikes.

Ole Gil

May 9, 2009
I don’t understand how a team that was tied for the second best road record in the NHL is now 0-5 on the road in the playoffs.

They only lost 12 regulation games in 41 on the road all season!

Because they are playing Boston and NYR, who are teams with 107 and 110 points on the season. Rangers lost 10 games in regulation at home. Boston 13. Boston only lost 13 on the road in reg this season, and got smashed 4 straight by the Canes.

The home/away thing is a little flukey, but these are 3 very very good teams, and any result is possible any night, because they are very evenly matched overall.

AhosDatsyukian

Sep 25, 2020
Here's a fun fact.

In 2006, we won 4 road playoff games in regulation (Game 4 Montreal, Game 3 NJ, Game 4 Buffalo, Game 4 Edmonton)

Since that season, we've only won 3... total (2009 Game 7 NJ, 2009 Game 2 Boston, 2019 Game 2 NYI). 16 years, 3 road playoff wins in regulation.

Yikes.
Why specify regulation? Do road OT wins not count? Because we do have a bunch of those since then. And considering the fact that we missed the playoffs 10 out of those 16 years it's even more misleading.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad