ECQF: (1) Washington Capitals vs. (WC1) Columbus Blue Jackets | Caps Lead Series 3-2

Who ya got?! Caps or CBJ?

• WSH (sweep)

Votes: 20 2.7%
  • CBJ (sweep)

Votes: 6 0.8%
  • WSH (in 5)

Votes: 96 13.0%
  • CBJ (in 5)

Votes: 16 2.2%
  • WSH (in 6)

Votes: 232 31.4%
  • CBJ (in 6)

Votes: 129 17.5%
  • WSH (in 7)

Votes: 114 15.4%
  • CBJ (in 7)

Votes: 125 16.9%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

Alexander the Gr8

May 2, 2013
Toronto
And how many series have they played in? How often was Columbus a cup favourite with one of the best goal scorers of all time on their roster?

They made the playoffs three times. They were swept by Detroit, lost in 6 to the Penguins in 2014 and lost in 5 to the Penguins again last year. Sorry, but no matter how you spin it, Columbus does not have a history of strong playoff showings. 3 wins, 12 losses. Bobrovsky has poor numbers in the playoffs.

The Capitals have made it past the 1st round in their previous three appearances. The legendary goal scorer is still on the roster and he's back with his best season since 2010. I don't see why the Capitals would struggle more than CBJ given their history.

Bladerunner

Aug 12, 2009
N VA
Washington has a proven track record of underperforming in the playoffs.
You have a point. Caps usually lost to weak Pitt and NYR teams in the second round. Often went 7 games too.
By sheer luck those Pitt and NYR teams had long playoff runs and Pitt won 3 SC. :sarcasm:

Columbus does not.
Very concise way to summarize Cbus in the their limited playoff experiences ! :laugh:

Reactions: ALLCAPSALLTHETIME

kmart

Jan 23, 2008
this series sucks as a caps fan... given how the jackets underperformed in recent history, a win would have very little significance. i would like the rangers or the leafs... oh well at least the pens will be waiting in round2, rather beat the past struggles or go down in flames again.

Reactions: bur and 666 others

aar000n

Oct 16, 2006
Can Columbus win their first playoff series. Its not the second round yet so Washington will be hard to beat.

Theo Von

gang gang buzz buzz
Nov 15, 2013
Been following THG for awhile on YouTube. Extremely informative and a very, very good follow. Here is his take on our playoff series:

Reactions: BHD

Anisimovs AK

Apr 14, 2006
Columbus, OH
This is a difficult series to predict. The Caps have been the more consistent team all season for sure, but have still been playing noticable better since the calendar flipped to March.

The Jackets are...interesting. They were trapped in offensive doldrums for most of the season, however they have been on a drastic upswing since acquiring Vanek and Letestu at the deadline. Vanek has awakened Boone Jenner from his offensive coma, while also making Wennberg actually relevant. The newfound depth scoring the Jackets have found due to this has definitely made them a more dangerous team. The powerplay has also really improved since then. Something like 23 percent during the last month. Atkinson seems to finally be fully healed from his foot surgery, and he, Panarin, and Dubois have been pretty damn good since March as well. Panarin having 28 points in his last 18, Dubois having 18 in his last 18, and Atkinson over 20 in his last 18.

Dubois' growth into a viable first line center has been intriguing to watch. His play has really reached a crescendo lately.
Caps fans you will end up hating him though, he is kind of an ass lol.

The coaching matchup is interesting as well. Both (in my opinion) good coaches not necessarily known for their in-game/series adjustments but rather an almost stifling rigidity to gameplan

This series will probably go at least 6. Im leaning towardsCaps at the moment until Bob can show me he can actually stop a beachball in the playoffs

Alexander the Gr8

May 2, 2013
Toronto
Been following THG for awhile on YouTube. Extremely informative and a very, very good follow. Here is his take on our playoff series:

His lineup for the Caps is wrong. He forgot Jerabek, and he doesn't seem to know that Oshie will be playing. I'm not sure we will see Gersich, and I can say for sure that Boyd won't play.

Kreator

Feb 18, 2017
World Championships starting soon. We all know what that means. Ovi cant wait.

ALLCAPSALLTHETIME

Great Dane! Love that Eller feller.
Oct 10, 2009
British Columbia, Canada
They are both labeled as playoff chokers as well.

Apparently so is Panarin for some dumb reason.

I can't wait to see this Ovi/Panarin showdown though. This should be a really good series. And one in which we can start the series having rational conversations but we're probably going to hate each other in two weeks.

Yeah, I agree. There is a lot of xenophobia involved with Russian players, sadly. Especially with the Canadian hockey media. :(

Yes, it will start out cordial but once the series is finished, I am sure there will be some animosity. Still, let me say that I don’t mind Columbus and I think their fans are good. You have my respect.

CBJx614

May 25, 2012
C-137
Yeah, I agree. There is a lot of xenophobia involved with Russian players, sadly. Especially with the Canadian hockey media. :(

Yes, it will start out cordial but once the series is finished, I am sure there will be some animosity. Still, let me say that I don’t mind Columbus and I think their fans are good. You have my respect.
One thing we will always agree on is our hatred for Pittsburgh though!

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
And how many series have they played in? How often was Columbus a cup favourite with one of the best goal scorers of all time on their roster?

I get the Caps hate. Its fun. Isnt it? But, the Caps don't lose often in the first round. Its the 2nd round they have issues and more recently as the 1 seed in the east the playoff format has them playing the 2 seed and eventual cup winners. Lets not act like the Caps get bounced by wildly inferior teams. Like you are making it sound.

IIRC that has only happened once to Ovechkin era Caps teams. That was to Montreal, who beat the Penguins in the next round.

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC

By the end CBJ fans will be ripping the Caps board to pieces. They will be calling Tom Wilson the dirtiest player in the history of hockey and throwing second round loser insults. You know it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Finland vs Norway
    Finland vs Norway
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Slovakia vs USA
    Slovakia vs USA
    Wagers: 1
    Staked: $50.00