ECQF: (1) Washington Capitals vs. (WC1) Columbus Blue Jackets | Caps Lead Series 3-2

Who ya got?! Caps or CBJ?

• WSH (sweep)

Votes: 20 2.7%
  • CBJ (sweep)

Votes: 6 0.8%
  • WSH (in 5)

Votes: 96 13.0%
  • CBJ (in 5)

Votes: 16 2.2%
  • WSH (in 6)

Votes: 232 31.4%
  • CBJ (in 6)

Votes: 129 17.5%
  • WSH (in 7)

Votes: 114 15.4%
  • CBJ (in 7)

Votes: 125 16.9%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

Fatty McLardy

Oct 6, 2017
Sorry Cole, can never be happy if OVI won the cup....f*** that, doubt any caps fans were happy when SID won those cups. why should we be happy that that the most selfish superstar to come into the league in a long time ends up winning the cup. Hope that guy keeps chocking in 2nd round over n over till he retires. Never been a player more deserving of it.

Last edited:

Skrudland2Lomakin

Jan 1, 2011
That's your fault. The majority of us on the Pens board know that most likely if it weren't the Pens, it would have been the Caps to win the Cup. 2009/2016 especially. And the majority of us know Ovy is a once in a lifetime goal scorer and we love watching what he does best.

I don't have time in my life to hate your city, fans, or sports team. I'm going to enjoy what I can while i'm here. The same goes with watching McDavid. Dude is an insane talent. I'm going to enjoy it. I'm happy the Pens won those matchups, but i'm not an idiot. I know how blessed we are to have done that. But it's also just a sport at the end of the day.

I would say, as a Pens fan, if Ovy won the Cup - the majority of us would be happy for him and would watch it all the way through. Obviously some obnoxious entitled fans wouldn't. But the majority would.
This is patently false and anyone who has lurked in a Pens GDT during a Caps game can attest to this.

I appreciate that you like hockey and appreciate great hockey but in my experience that hasn't been the general case. I lived in the greater Pitt area for 5 years, I can say from my personal experience this appreciation for OV was not typical for the majority of Pens fans I encountered. The conversations generally degraded to something about Ovechkin only caring about personal accolades, some sort of vaguely xenophobic thing about Russians (often with a comparison to Geno as if to say "yeah I think our Russian is lazy too, so we're friends now right?"), and then something about Ovechkin never being able to win a Cup because he chokes.

I'm not going to sit here and tell you that you wouldn't find similar narrow minded analysis from fans in the DMV on Crosby... but that's the point, I wouldn't tell you that because it's not true. I think most fans who actually care about hockey and have watched it beyond the OV era can tell you Sid is a beaut, but I'll be honest there isn't a ton of those walking around. I'll also be honest, I saw Pitt before the Sid/Geno party came to town, not a lot of fans from that era either. Casual/bandwagon fans will always grasp at that simplicity of casual hate without intricacies, our teams just happen to have a lot of those fans.

All that said this a topic about CBJvsPitt so I'm not interested in continuing talking about the Pens, at least in this thread.

Reactions: SamSteelFan4Ever

MacDonald4MVP

May 7, 2016
I'm cheering for caps on this one. They will be more fun opponent for flyers in second round.

Cowumbus

Mar 1, 2014
Arena District - Columbus
Voted CBJ in 6, because I think the only way we win is in 6, not going to win in our first ever game 7 imo. Anyway whoever wins the series I hope that they stay healthy and can knock pitt out in the next round. Never really had a problem with the caps or their fans, and even have an Ovechkin jersey of my own.. HHOFer who I love to watch.

Caps fans will probably hate PLD and Dubinsky after game 1, CBJ fans will probably hate Wilson. It’s just nice to see so many Pitt fans in here because i think they know whoever wins this series is not a team you want to play in the second round. Cheers.

illpucks

May 26, 2011
Caps only win if they avoid the physical game at all costs and only play the speed game. If so Ovechkin will have a bad series and series MVP might be Burakovsky.

The Caps team from last year would destroy this Columbus team but this is a horrible matchup for this years Caps even though they are better equipped to beat the Pens than last year.

Alexander the Gr8

May 2, 2013
Toronto
Just an FYI - I know the Caps board hates when anyone that isn't a Caps fan posts, but this is a main board. So yes the divisional foes will be in the thread. Oh and it's a damn interesting matchup. I think this is a very underrated 1st round matchup that will provide better than 1st round quality hockey.

That's not true, we just don't like backhanded compliments or people coming to our boards to tell us that the Caps suck and that Ovechkin is a choker.

Obviously this is the main board so everything is fair game, but I just wanted to say that we're generally welcoming towards other fans as long as they're respectful.

TheGoldenJet

Apr 2, 2008
Coquitlam, BC
To answer your question though, traditional wisdom would say Grubauer, he's been consistent and great all season. Trotz always defaults to "his" guys though so Holtby has a really good chance.

As a Pens fan, I would fear Grubauer more if we meet in round 2. Though I feel peak Holtby is the better goalie, and at 28yo he should be at his peak if he’s injury free...if that makes sense.

Reactions: Skrudland2Lomakin

Sentinel

May 26, 2009
New Jersey
www.vvinenglish.com
Sorry Cole, can never be happy if OVI won the cup....**** that, doubt any caps fans were happy when SID won those cups. why should we be happy that that the most selfish superstar to come into the league in a long time ends up winning the cup. Hope that guy keeps chocking in 2nd round over n over till he retires. Never been a player more deserving of it.
You are a very strange person.

ALLCAPSALLTHETIME

Great Dane! Love that Eller feller.
Oct 10, 2009
British Columbia, Canada
That means we lose his cap hit right?

While obviously they weren't Trotz coached teams, but Washington has only won 2/5 playoff matchups against Torts while he was in NYR/TB

should be a good series either way.

Yeah Washington won the series in the regular season, but they were in the middle of the Jackets slump. Let's see how they play when everyone is healthy and hungry.

Something tells me Bob playing against his countrymen will light a fire under his ass. It's not like he's just playing some random Russians. He knows he's playing ovie and kuz, I could see him turning up his game to the next level.

If CBus can get Henrik like goaltending then, yes, Torts can guide CBus to victory.

Also, Ovie typically ups his game when playing other Russians. It works both ways. :)

Reactions: WubbaLubbaDubDub

Bladerunner

Aug 12, 2009
N VA
Sorry Cole, can never be happy if OVI won the cup....**** that, doubt any caps fans were happy when SID won those cups. why should we be happy that that the most selfish superstar to come into the league in a long time ends up winning the cup. Hope that guy keeps chocking in 2nd round over n over till he retires. Never been a player more deserving of it.
:facepalm: Fats maybe you should get your "info" from other sources than Pitt GDTs. Makes you look very uninformed.

Ovi is an excellent team player and underrated passer. Many think he passes when he should take the shot.
His playoff stats, as a marked player, are very good. Caps have never had good GT+D nor an experienced NHL HC in his era.
It is a team game. Add the fact that Pitt is the NHLs darling :dainty:franchise. Look how often 87 has been carried in playoff series by other players.

In other words, try to keep up. Oh and good luck vs Philly. While Murray might not play like 2012 MAF, he's getting there :snide:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Inter Milan vs Torino
    Inter Milan vs Torino
    Wagers: 5
    Staked: $2,752.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Metz vs Lille
    Metz vs Lille