ECQF: (1) Washington Capitals vs. (WC1) Columbus Blue Jackets | Caps Lead Series 3-2

Who ya got?! Caps or CBJ?

• WSH (sweep)

Votes: 20 2.7%
  • CBJ (sweep)

Votes: 6 0.8%
  • WSH (in 5)

Votes: 96 13.0%
  • CBJ (in 5)

Votes: 16 2.2%
  • WSH (in 6)

Votes: 232 31.4%
  • CBJ (in 6)

Votes: 129 17.5%
  • WSH (in 7)

Votes: 114 15.4%
  • CBJ (in 7)

Votes: 125 16.9%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

Sam Spade

May 4, 2009
Maryland
Some posters here need to reign it in a bit. The Caps don't "choke" every playoffs, they lose to very good teams and it's usually very close in a game 7. Let's be honest, the playoff bracket is brutal regardless of the round you're in.

The Caps could lose to the Pens in game seven, quadruple overtime, and people would say they "choked".

trick9

Jun 2, 2013
They did choke.

They dominated that series chance-wise for 6 games, and actually were unlucky to be down in the first place. Then they coasted to victory in Game 6 and were up 5-0 away from home and ended up winning that game 5-2. They went home as a huge favorite and ended up absolutely mailing it in during that Game 7. The scoring chances were 0-10 to Penguins through a stretch in that game. Never seen such a difference between a team through games played in the same week. They went from team looking like they were going to walk past the most recent Cup -winner to a team looking like they were tanking to get a better pick.

OVO16

#WeTheNorth
Apr 16, 2017
I wonder if its actually better for the Caps to choke in the 1st rd against the Jackets, then it is to lose again to the Pens in the 2nd.

Losing to the Pens again would just be embarrassing

Lindemann

Apr 7, 2017
Every playoff loss does not equal a choke, hate to break it to you

If the Caps lost to the Lightning/Pens, would it be considered a choke? No, cause those teams are considered the favorite to come out of the East

CBJ is on par with the Caps current IMO. If they lose, it won't be considered a choke since the Blue Jackets are a very good hockey team as of late

People need to understand what a choke is

Losing to MTL in 2010 was a choke

Losing to NYR in 2015 was a choke (even though NY was the top seed, blowing a 3-1 lead)

Fataldogg

Mar 22, 2007
Caps win in 5 or 6 games. Bobrovsky gets knocked out in first round again and posts a sub .900SV%.

OVO16

#WeTheNorth
Apr 16, 2017
Sorry. Getting upset by a wild card team after a division win is less embarrassing than losing to the cup winner? ok

Your statement would make sense if it was any other team other than the Capitals. I would've never even said it if it was any other team.

But the fact that it's the Capitals, who cant beat the pens at all in the Playoffs...losing to them yet again would be tough to swallow for Caps fans. Hence why losing to a different team might be better lol

But maybe Caps fans dont care. That why I put it in a question form. Idk

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
But the fact that it's the Capitals, who cant beat the pens at all in the Playoffs...losing to them yet again would be tough to swallow for Caps fans. Hence why losing to a different team might be better lol

But maybe Caps fans dont care. That why I put it in a question form. Idk

I think you have it wrong. At least for the Caps fans that I know. Losing to a wild card team would be a real step backward. Losing to Pittsburgh is expected. Boston hasn't beaten the Capitals in god knows how long. Should Caps manage to get to them in the playoffs the shoe would be on the other foot.

Reactions: TheGoldenJet

nothingbeatshockey

May 3, 2013
Was looking at the team stats and the Jackets are 25th in PP and 27th in PK? With that lineup, how is that so? Not a slap at the Jackets, just surprised.

Columbus Mike

2015-16 CBJ
Feb 21, 2008
Was looking at the team stats and the Jackets are 25th in PP and 27th in PK? With that lineup, how is that so? Not a slap at the Jackets, just surprised.

Since February 1 the CBJ PP is 15th (22.4%), but the PK is still weak (74.7%, 26th). The first three months of the season the power play was beyond terrible, but it's been pretty solid lately. PK is an issue.

tom_servo

Sep 27, 2002
Pittsburgh
I don't think the Caps have choked against the Pens recently, but they were certainly expected to win the Letang suspension game in '16, the Crosbyless game in '17, and the home game 7 in '17.

I'm a Pens fan, so I'd rather spin those as Penguins triumphs than Caps chokes.

LasVegasNHL

Feb 19, 2014
I have a long history of picking NHL playoff series as well as NFL games and MLB playoff series and am very good at it. My picks for this matchup is as follows:

Capitals in 5

What do you think of the 2nd round matchup of Capitals vs Penguins? Any chance the Capitals can finally beat them?

Nov 13, 2006
Ohio
I did my homework for this thread lol :thumbu:

fdewxk.jpg
Impressive, you have really good penmanship.

Reactions: mikeyp24 and CBJSTH

CarolinaBlueJacket

Mar 3, 2011
North Carolina
I think CBJ is strongest team after Pens in metro. So, no cake walk for Caps, especially when they are hot. I expect low scoring series, contrary to the Pens/Flyers matchup.

So that's why the Caps won the Metro? Haha. Some Pens fans must really embarrass other Pens fans but at least it's good entertainment for the rest of us.

Reactions: mikeyp24

shtorm2005

Aug 9, 2015
Montreal, Canada
So that's why the Caps won the Metro?
I mean strongest to play against for Caps. Flyers or Devils would be easier matchups. Anyhow, does division title mean something? Caps have 105 points, CBJ 97, so Caps 8.2% better, it's not enough for a garanteed win.

Halak can stop a puck when it matters... Just saying.

Yep. That's why no matter what team is better. If any goalie decides to play halak 2010 mode, u will be choker lol

Last edited:

Zazzaro703

Mar 18, 2016
Lake Tahoe
Bobbo going to choke like last year, Caps in 6 because well it's the Capitals and they never put anyone away in an appropriate time fashion. Our destiny lies in losing to the Pens in round 2 again thus sealing their 3peat.

Reactions: Sam Spade

Evincar

I have found the way
Aug 10, 2012
I think CBJ win their first ever series here. I just dont think Washington is a very good team outside of Ovechkin and Carlson.

Fataldogg

Mar 22, 2007
I mean strongest to play against for Caps. Flyers or Devils would be easier matchups. Anyhow, does division title mean something? Caps have 105 points, CBJ 97, so Caps 8.2% better, it's not enough for a garanteed win.

Yep. That's why no matter what team is better. If any goalie decides to play halak 2010 mode, u will be choker lol

No, but a 2x Vezina winner has a lot to prove when he is 3-15 with an .887.

If he is truly as good as Lundqvist, Rinne, Rask, Quick, etc he could have stolen a series by now. He has everything to prove this post season.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad