Series Talk: ECQ: Boston Bruins (2-0) Toronto Maple Leafs. Well. We can Win at Home. We Have to.

Status
Not open for further replies.

frizzer1

Oct 19, 2013
If we are swept, you knowwww Babcock supporters are not going to in any way blame Babcock. It'll be the players, the media, the fans, the equipment guy, the popcorn vendor...anyone, but not Babcock.

True..
If they win it's because babcock is a great coach.
If they lose, it's because the players weren't good enough..

Reactions: ToMaLe

CabanaBoy5

Feb 17, 2013
Woodbridge
Leivo is never going to happen, I've given up on tilting at that particular windmill

I don't think what the 4th line does is the major in this i think the aim should be to improve the Matthews line and I wonder if someone talented and fast may make them better able to face Bergeron

Just Defending that line doesn't really work so my idea is get a fast forechecker and try to pressure the Boston D before they get the puck to the forwards and try to play keep away with the puck instead
Agree totally. Rather than spending time in our zone, where admittedly they are very good, let them try to defend and keep up with our speed.

ToMaLe

Sep 24, 2002
Saskatchewan
So here's my problem with these changes..
All year long babcock had Hyman with Matthews.....they never tried anyone else, never practiced with anyone else ( to my knowledge) and so they don't know each other's tendencies ....Same for Hyman with Marner..
If he had tried different combos during the season ( like we were begging for) ,then I could understand it..
And yet after one game he tries combos he's never used before?
To me, this smacks of desperation..
I agree, all the Babcock supporters were saying we cant change the lines now its too late in the season to take Hyman off Matthews line. But now game 2 in the playoffs Babcock changes the lines? Maybe the Babcock supporters were wrong once again.

Reactions: CabanaBoy5

MapleLeafs77

Oct 20, 2017
I think everyone needs to take a breather and relax like the team needs to. I never thought we would win game 1 in boston. They had adrenaline and the crowd thumping.

They sucked us into their game and we dont play chippy and dirty and aggressive. Our game is speed and skill which we did halfway through the first period and almost all of the second period and we dominated them when we did.

I am not nervous at all. Everyone at work is and if anything last night made me more confident that when we play our game (even without matty and willy on their game) they cant keep up. Leafs in 6. Especially when matty and willy wake which they will starting tomorrow.

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
If we are swept, you knowwww Babcock supporters are not going to in any way blame Babcock. It'll be the players, the media, the fans, the equipment guy, the popcorn vendor...anyone, but not Babcock.
Where will the "realists " be celebrating ?

MyBudJT

Mar 5, 2018
Why are people freaking out over putting Komarov with Matthews and Nylander?

Its not Babcock's fault Kadri got suspended. Its not Babcock's fault that JVR, Bozak, Matthews, Nylander, Plekanec, Hainsey, Gardiner, etc didn't show up to play.

This is a temporary solution. Babcock doesn't want to sacrifice his "depth", so Komarov is just a filler.

Matthews is going to see Bergeron full time. It'll be a win if for us if they keep that line off the scoreboard. If Matthews line and Bergeron's line are kept off the board, then I still like our 2-4th lines over theirs.

Now, like you all, I don't like having Komarov on the PP... so hopefully having Johnsson in the lineup changes that.

Peasy

May 25, 2012
Star Shoppin

Its not Babcock's fault Kadri got suspended. Its not Babcock's fault that JVR, Bozak, Matthews, Nylander, Plekanec, Hainsey, Gardiner, etc didn't show up to play.

This is a temporary solution. Babcock doesn't want to sacrifice his "depth", so Komarov is just a filler.

Matthews is going to see Bergeron full time. It'll be a win if for us if they keep that line off the scoreboard. If Matthews line and Bergeron's line are kept off the board, then I still like our 2-4th lines over theirs.

Now, like you all, I don't like having Komarov on the PP... so hopefully having Johnsson in the lineup changes that.
Nope, Komarov is still on Matthews' PP unit. Johnsson is replacing Kadri.

CantLoseWithMatthews

Sep 28, 2015
i can't believe a skilled rookie like Gourde had a 2 point night against the Devils. I thought only untalented veterans were worth playing

LeafsNation75

Jan 15, 2010
Toronto, Ontario

It's the fact that Babcock has other options he could use on Matthews line instead of Komarov. If he wanted to change it because I think it was fine leaving Hyman with them, why not try someone like JVR?

Reactions: saffronleaf

Ziggdiezan

Apr 10, 2015

Wouldn't include Bozak or Gardiner in that not showing up. They were some of the most engaged and physical players on the Leafs.

Some of the better players for the Leafs other than Hyman and Brown.

Also did the Bergeron line score at even strength?

saffronleaf

May 17, 2011
Toronto, ON

Because it's f***ing stupid to put Komarov on the first line.

Without Kadri, you could still do the following if you wanted to make minimal impact on the existing lineup:

Hyman - Matthews - Nylander
Johnsson - Marleau - Marner
JVR - Bozak - Brown
Komarov - Plek - Kapanen

I'd prefer swapping Kappy and Brown but whatever, this would keep things intact.

htpwn

Nov 4, 2009
Toronto

Wow, hopefully we get some competitive players this offseason if Komarov is first in line for the Matthews Nylander line :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

What a joke

giphy.gif

Reactions: Rob Brown

Ziggdiezan

Apr 10, 2015
Because it's ****ing stupid to put Komarov on the first line.

Without Kadri, you could still do the following if you wanted to make minimal impact on the existing lineup:

JVR - Bozak - Brown
Komarov - Plek - Kapanen

I'd prefer swapping Kappy and Brown but whatever, this would keep things intact.
I wouldn't touch the Bozak line they were the only line not hemmed in their zone the entire game. Brown also had a much better game than Kap last night (could be due to Plek being horrible).

IBeL34f

Lilly-grin
Jun 3, 2010
Toronto
I was using their term, not mine....note the quotation marks. Think about that. I call them "supporters or apologists".
You can feel good about yourself all you want for using a different word than someone else, but you still say things like this:

i can't believe a skilled rookie like Gourde had a 2 point night against the Devils. I thought only untalented veterans were worth playing
Really? Since when?

MyBudJT

Mar 5, 2018
Wouldn't include Bozak or Gardiner in that not showing up. They were some of the most engaged and physical players on the Leafs.

Yes. One goal for sure. Pastrnak was on for two at ES.

Because it's ****ing stupid to put Komarov on the first line.

JVR - Bozak - Brown
Komarov - Plek - Kapanen

You need to cool down dude. I would be okay with that lineup as well... but Johnsson makes our 4th line better which is also an asset for us.

Can you at least see it from that perspective?

Reactions: Ziggdiezan

Tak7

Nov 1, 2009
GTA or the UK
I don't like the Komarov move, but I get it.

It could possibly buy Matthews more room, and if Cassidy is chasing the Bergeron-Matthews matchup like he was in game 1, it puts the only Leaf capable of pushing back on Marchand, on Matthews line as he goes up against Marchand.

If that lines struggles to contain again, I'd look to move things around, but let's see how it plays out.

Reactions: IBeL34f

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
Alas, there will be no celebrating if we're swept. Having said that, we're not going to be swept. I think we've lulled the Bruins into a false sense of security. We're coming home tied 1-1.
They will win Saturday?
You better spread that news to the rest of the "sheep" who have been weeping since the practice lines were released.

Blanche Blanche

Torontoooooo
Dec 2, 2017
Toronto
good for you :) bolding and underling is fun, i'm glad you can do it.

nope. I didn't say that. didn't even infer it. I have said, and I've said. constantly, if it were up to me Komarov wouldn't even be on the team. what i said regarding this game was that our issues last night wasn't on Komarov. We lost because Matthews, Kadri, Nylander, Marleau, Bozak, JVR, Brown, Rielly, Hainsey, Jake, Zaitzev, Polak, - basically everyone but Hyman and Marner to an extent (Andersen until the 4th goal) sucked. putting all of the blame on Komarov makes no sense to me. Putting all the blame on Babcock makes no sense to me. The team sucked including Komarov. how difficult is it to say "the team didn't do well, they have to be better?" Arguably very, because very few people are saying it.

But going by everyone else, you get the sense that if Komarov wasn't on the team, yesterday's performance would have been better is erroneous. because it wouldn't have. If people want to focus on one player making the mistake that's fine, when it's warranted. or if they want to focus on babcock's poor decisions (which is warranted because I personally wouldn't put Komarov on the 1st line though i see the ideology. I don't agree with it, but I see it). No one as far as I've seen talked about how anyone else could play better. just that Komarov sucks (which i agree with),shouldn't be on the team (which i've said when we re-signed him to his deal), and implying things would have been fine last night had he not been on the roster (which no, because the whole team sucked).

so i'll be clear.
overall as a team, i think whole heartedly we would be better without Komarov. (let that never be lost in translation).

last night's game and the result was not Komarov's fault, or Babcock's usage of Komarov the way a lot of people are making it sound. it was a collective team poopfest, starting with Babcock, the entire team, down to the goaltending with the exception of Hyman, Marner, and 2 periods of Andersen. putting all the focus on Komarov, is not fair, nor right.

Youre totally right... but i suppose seeing Johnsson and Kappy fly with Pleks for that wild youthful energy they bring is contagious and does send a message to the other team.

If the leafs young core are that unseasoned, that a few hard hits on some linemates can send the morale down, then seeing youre fellow Marlie rookies fly with each other and hound the Bruins net makes you invigorated.

The sample size is small... but Kap and AJ inject that energy even into pleks. Weve all seen it. Heck they played like a combined 10 games this season with barrly any TOI and have some goals and points.

I guess thats what the Komorov flamers are griping about... me included.

Good post though. Cuts through to the truth.

saffronleaf

May 17, 2011
Toronto, ON
Yes. One goal for sure. Pastrnak was on for two at ES.

You need to cool down dude. I would be okay with that lineup as well... but Johnsson makes our 4th line better which is also an asset for us.

Can you at least see it from that perspective?

Yea, Johnsson on the 4th line does make sense. But Komarov on the 1st line still does not.

Daisy Jane

everything is gonna be okay!
Jul 2, 2009
Youre totally right... but i suppose seeing Johnsson and Kappy fly with Pleks for that wild youthful energy they bring is contagious and does send a message to the other team.

If the leafs young core are that unseasoned, that a few hard hits on some linemates can send the morale down, then seeing youre fellow Marlie rookies fly with each other and hound the Bruins net makes you invigorated.

The sample size is small... but Kap and AJ inject that energy even into pleks. Weve all seen it. Heck they played like a combined 10 games this season with barrly any TOI and have some goals and points.

I guess thats what the Komorov flamers are griping about... me included.

Good post though. Cuts through to the truth.

which is fine. i mean. i said what i wanted, AJ in there too.
i just feel the whole team sucked last night, so it wouldn't have made a difference.

the hope will be, that
A: Kadri doesn't get suspended
B: Johnssson still draws in.
C: Komarov doesn't play.

or.
A: Kadri is only suspended for 1 game
B: Johnsson has like a huge game that it will be beyond dumbo to take him out (again)
C: Komarov doesn't play when Kadri comes back.

crump

~ ~ (ړײ) ~ ~
Feb 26, 2004
Ontariariario
Well. If anything the loss should wake some people up. Kadri was a little robust going in on that hit, but I hope the other guy gets a game for the elbow to Marner.

Johnsson will be up the lineup before you know it..gud pro.

People need to calm down. With a little puck luck and a converted PP, that game would have been a lot closer. Not worried.

Reactions: Daisy Jane

CantLoseWithMatthews

Sep 28, 2015

yes, but not against the Matthews line. They scored on Komarov though

Reactions: Ziggdiezan

Cotton

May 13, 2013
I think everyone needs to take a breather and relax like the team needs to. I never thought we would win game 1 in boston. They had adrenaline and the crowd thumping.

They sucked us into their game and we dont play chippy and dirty and aggressive. Our game is speed and skill which we did halfway through the first period and almost all of the second period and we dominated them when we did.

I am not nervous at all. Everyone at work is and if anything last night made me more confident that when we play our game (even without matty and willy on their game) they cant keep up. Leafs in 6. Especially when matty and willy wake which they will starting tomorrow.

I’m unable to like your post at the moment, so i’ll respond that I think you nailed it. I noticed early that the Leafs were initiating contact, then things like Bozak crosschecking McAvoy behind their net, when the hell does Bozak ever start scuffles? Matthews and Marner both throwing hits, JVR with 4, even Kadri, who’s been unusually tame this season, was looking to crush someone.

I think you’re right that they either got sucked in to playing Boston’s game, or decided to be the aggressors to set a tone and or msg... which completely failed as that isn’t their game.

Reactions: Daisy Jane
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Cádiz vs Mallorca
    Cádiz vs Mallorca
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $340.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Bologna vs Udinese