Confirmed with Link: Eberle for Strome: Part 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

CupofOil

Knob Flavored Coffey
Aug 20, 2009
NYC
Yes, I wonder if playing with McDavid had anything to do with that. ;) Speaking of Maroon he sure looks.... bad this year. Isn't he in talks for an extension?

I see this argument and it's kind of a silly argument to diminish the accomplishments of a player. Sure Maroon wouldn't be a 27 goal guy away from McDavid but not everybody can play well with elite players and in fact in a way, it's even harder to keep up with a player who skates and thinks the game as well as McDavid does. Lucic had no chemistry with McDavid and neither did Eberle or Hall (albeit short sample size with Hall). Maroon played a very key role on that line especially down the stretch with his ability to win board battles and be in the right place in front of the net to clean up the garbage, those are talents that not everybody has.

I'd take the large near 100 game sample size of success with McDavid over a 4 sample size of struggles. Not saying that I'd want to overpay Maroon long term but you let him walk and it won't necessarily be so easy to find somebody who has the chemistry with McDavid that he does.

Anyway, how did this all come back to Maroon?

CornKicker

Holland is wrong..except all of the good things
Feb 18, 2005
I see this argument and it's kind of a silly argument to diminish the accomplishments of a player. Sure Maroon wouldn't be a 27 goal guy away from McDavid but not everybody can play well with elite players and in fact in a way, it's even harder to keep up with a player who skates and thinks the game as well as McDavid does. Lucic had no chemistry with McDavid and neither did Eberle or Hall (albeit short sample size with Hall). Maroon played a very key role on that line especially down the stretch with his ability to win board battles and be in the right place in front of the net to clean up the garbage, those are talents that not everybody has.

I'd take the large near 100 game sample size of success with McDavid over a 4 sample size of struggles. Not saying that I'd want to overpay Maroon long term but you let him walk and it won't necessarily be so easy to find somebody who has the chemistry with McDavid that he does.

Anyway, how did this all come back to Maroon?

with Mcdavids new mandate to shoot and score more it will make Maroon useless on that line. Id bet he has 10-12 more games before he gets swapped out with someone else that is better at getting mcdavid the puck.

GodPucker

Sep 27, 2017
Holy crap. People are still riding Eberlazy's genitalia?

He was slightly better than Strome and also was a sad sack of sh** on D and barely produced when it counted. Big cap hit. Guy never worked out to get stronger. He is the definition of MEH. Nothing.

KeithIsActuallyBad

You thrust your pelvis, huh!
Apr 12, 2010
Calgary
Holy crap. People are still riding Eberlazy's genitalia?

He was slightly better than Strome and also was a sad sack of sh** on D and barely produced when it counted. Big cap hit. Guy never worked out to get stronger. He is the definition of MEH. Nothing.
"Slightly better"... Eberle's worst year was equal to Strome's best year and for all the complaints about Eberle's defense he was still a + player last year.

Canovin

1% is the new 11.5%
Oct 27, 2010
"Slightly better"... Eberle's worst year was equal to Strome's best year and for all the complaints about Eberle's defense he was still a + player last year.
It shouldn't matter what they did in the past. At this very moment, Ebs is slightly better offensively who doesn't backcheck, is also a wuss who watch his friends get jump. Strome has more fights in 4 games than Ebs did in the Oilers uniform

KeithIsActuallyBad

Apr 12, 2010
Calgary
It shouldn't matter what they did in the past. At this very moment, Ebs is slightly better offensively who doesn't backcheck, is also a wuss who watch his friends get jump. Strome has more fights in 4 games than Ebs did in the Oilers uniform
We have enough face punchers. We're not paying Strome to sit in a penalty box. We're paying him to score. 2>0 no matter how you slice it.

If that's really the only measuring stick then maybe Steve MacIntyre is still playing hockey somewhere.

CantHaveTkachev

Legends
Nov 30, 2004
St. OILbert, AB
We have enough face punchers. We're not paying Strome to sit in a penalty box. We're paying him to score. 2>0 no matter how you slice it.

If that's really the only measuring stick then maybe Steve MacIntyre is still playing hockey somewhere.
I'm confident if Eberle was still on this team, we are still 1-3
he's not making any difference on the Isles and their team is below .500

McOilers97

Jan 10, 2012
I'm confident if Eberle was still on this team, we are still 1-3
he's not making any difference on the Isles and their team is below .500

That's exactly how I feel as well. I can't think of any nights where he pulled us out of a hole and helped turn a game around; he usually plays just as bad as everyone else on nights like Saturday. His play on the ice since about 2013/2014 always came off as pure apathy to me; despite what he would say to the media about "wanting to win". Guy also hasn't scored a goal in 19 games.

Canovin

1% is the new 11.5%
Oct 27, 2010

You're really making a big deal of that 2 points

McOilers97

Jan 10, 2012

So you're going to romanticize about Jordan Eberle? The guy that could have helped us win the Ducks series if he had managed to score even ONE goal, and hasn't scored a goal himself in 19 games?

KeithIsActuallyBad

Apr 12, 2010
Calgary
You're really making a big deal of that 2 points
No I'm making a big deal out of ZERO points.

So you're going to romanticize about Jordan Eberle? The guy that could have helped us win the Ducks series if he had managed to score even ONE goal, and hasn't scored a goal himself in 19 games?
Actually the crux of my argument was that we dumped a useful player for a useless player and didn't spend the cap space (which was part of the point of this deal) on anything.

Smartguy

May 3, 2010
Edmonton
He's got more points than Strome on a worse team...

The GM's job is to manage the cap properly. Somehow someway the Hawks manage to do this every single year. I'd rather the Oilers get into a tight situation and win the Cup this year than keep trading away players for nothing and never winning. Chia's bugaboo right now is an inability to negotiate very well. Russell, Drai, and Lucic all have rather questionable deals and two of them are largely due to the fact that the team was very successful last year. And yet he opted not to improve the team in any way while relying on young players to take the mantle further (sound familiar?)

If Chia traded away Eberle and brought in a replacement defenseman with that cap space he saved I wouldn't have any complaints because at least he addressed an issue. But this way it looks like Chia just assumes everything will fall into place again this year (which it already isn't) and if the team doesn't pick it up soon it could be a very long season.

The players with the biggest impact are seldom brought in at the TDL. You need them for most, if not the entire season. There was zero reason not to upgrade the defense in the offseason especially after this trade was done.

Eberle has a whopping 3 assists!?! Get Chia on the phone that's a high end wingers production!

You realize Chicago had to trade sharp, sadd, buff, Shaw, Hammer to manage cap right? And your upset we had to trade Eberle to do it. We need to find our Panarin, acquire a Keith etc., not keep Jordan Eberle to compete

KeithIsActuallyBad

Apr 12, 2010
Calgary
Eberle has a whopping 3 assists!?! Get Chia on the phone that's a high end wingers production!

You realize Chicago had to trade sharp, sadd, buff, Shaw, Hammer to manage cap right? And your upset we had to trade Eberle to do it. We need to find our Panarin, acquire a Keith etc., not keep Jordan Eberle to compete
I'm upset because it's piss poor asset management and the GM didn't make the team any better during the summer. If anything he made the team worse. I'd love to find all those things but since the Oilers can't develop worth a damn and can't properly identify quality assets on other teams lately I'm wondering how we'll ever be like Chicago.

McOilers97

Jan 10, 2012
I'm upset because it's piss poor asset management and the GM didn't make the team any better during the summer. If anything he made the team worse. I'd love to find all those things but since the Oilers can't develop worth a damn and can't properly identify quality assets on other teams lately I'm wondering how we'll ever be like Chicago.

I agree that he didn't make the team better. I was a bit worried about our forward depth already this summer (lack of secondary scoring last season was already a problem), but I also understand Chiarelli's thinking a little bit. He purposely has left a little bit of cap space for a potential deadline acquisition; but he also appears to be betting on some of Yamamoto/Puljujarvi/Slepyshev/Caggiula to step into a permanent top 6 role. That was a mistake, but it's kind of unrelated to the Eberle-Strome trade. He got rid of Eberle, who we couldn't really afford anymore, without retaining any $$ and getting like $3.5m cap space. That isn't a problem to me; the problem is that he should've added some kind of veteran RWer. So I feel like the vitriol towards the trade is misplaced - the issue is not making a UFA winger signing with the cap space.

So I guess I agree with what you've said actually. But I don't see Eberle as a "useful player" - he only makes an impact on the game when the team is actually playing well. If the team plays the way they have been so far, then Eberle won't make a difference at all.

KeithIsActuallyBad

Apr 12, 2010
Calgary
I agree that he didn't make the team better. I was a bit worried about our forward depth already this summer (lack of secondary scoring last season was already a problem), but I also understand Chiarelli's thinking a little bit. He purposely has left a little bit of cap space for a potential deadline acquisition; but he also appears to be betting on some of Yamamoto/Puljujarvi/Slepyshev/Caggiula to step into a permanent top 6 role. That was a mistake, but it's kind of unrelated to the Eberle-Strome trade. He got rid of Eberle, who we couldn't really afford anymore, without retaining any $$ and getting like $3.5m cap space. That isn't a problem to me; the problem is that he should've added some kind of veteran RWer. So I feel like the vitriol towards the trade is misplaced - the issue is not making a UFA winger signing with the cap space.
Or at least a d-man since Sekera is hurt. If Chiarelli patches either hole I'm a lot more okay with this trade.

CornKicker

Holland is wrong..except all of the good things
Feb 18, 2005

yes they traded them 1. after they won a cup and 2. when they had to.

the argument here is we did not have to trade eberle when we did.

Zguy370

Dec 25, 2007
yes they traded them 1. after they won a cup and 2. when they had to.

the argument here is we did not have to trade eberle when we did.
I agree, should of traded him much sooner, even for a bag of pucks, was getting too embarrassing watching him wear the jersey

Smartguy

May 3, 2010
Edmonton

Completely agree here, I thought Chia needed to start pushing the pedal a bit with the current cap status and how much was out there. The sit back and wait approach worked last year, I personally think Chia got lucky and had the stars align with a lot of things going right. Eberle wasn't the answer though, we needed to move Eberle but also needed to pick up more competent players. And I have constantly said we need a high end D man to compete with the top teams, our back end is not near strong enough. Though for now as we are five games in I'm gonna trust if this play continues we see some phone pickup from Chia, way tougher to do in season though

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
The Hawks are worse this year, Pittsburgh is worse this year, Anaheim got worse, Toronto will be forced to start losing players starting next year ... good teams have to lose players if you want to have the highest end elite players like McDavid or Draisaitl.

Also the Cap Friendly totals I've laid out plainly. With Eberle AND factoring in McDavid's bonuses (that's NOT free cap room), we have about $2.3 million left at the deadline, but that $2.3 million also has to cover any bonuses Nurse/Puljujarvi/Yamamoto/Benning/Caggiula/Slepy might hit too. That could get down to under $2 million real quick. No we don't have the money to afford 5-6 James Neal's, that's false.

This team went to game 7 of round 2 of the playoffs with zero real contribution from Eberle. He is not worth having little/no room left at the deadline, nor is he worth losing another $3-$4 million in cap space next year because no one is going to take 100% of his salary.

Last edited:

harpoon

Dec 23, 2005
You found at least one to take that kind of player off our hands with term to boot.
Exactly, the argument that player x is untradeable with only one year left on an over priced contract just runs counter to everything that actually goes on in the NHL. Over priced deals become easier to trade as remaining years decrease. That fact doesn't go along with some poster's agenda though so let's just ignore it shall we. :shakehead
It's the GM's job to make everything fit while making the team better.
Yeah, I see you are getting the gears in another thread with posters saying 'well what defenceman would you have picked up GK?'
Such a spurious, brain dead argument, and one I am well familiar with because I used to hear it all the time when I was one a handful of posters not down with tanking for RNH, Yakupov etc. When some of us suggested trading one of our FOA pick for actual NHL defencemen to help out the Halls and Eberles and Petrys and yes even the Dubnyks of the team we were scoffed at. Sure looks like we were right in hingdsight. Imagine if we'd unloaded the Yakupov FOA pick for a useful NHL defenceman in his twenties. Same fans doing the same thing now. Like we needed Yamamoto at this stage in the game.

The GM is a professional NHL executive with a f***ing fiduciary duty to improve the team. He is privy to information that no one on this board has a clue about. Its not the fans duty to stay up all night scouring rosters and making calls. That burden falls to the highly paid professional whose job it is to do so.

The fact that there was an expansion draft in the offseason which saw multiple players moved around the league makes it all the more apparent that Chiarelli a) thought his defense was good enough b) realized it wasn't but was unwilling to trade any assets he cared about (including draft picks) or c) is just too lazy to put in the work required to obtain upgrades.

Sorry Chiarelli, just moving the guys you hate is no way to build a roster.

MessierII

Aug 10, 2011
Exactly, the argument that player x is untradeable with only one year left on an over priced contract just runs counter to everything that actually goes on in the NHL. Over priced deals become easier to trade as remaining years decrease. That fact doesn't go along with some poster's agenda though so let's just ignore it shall we. :shakehead
Yeah, I see you are getting the gears in another thread with posters saying 'well what defenceman would you have picked up GK?'
Such a spurious, brain dead argument, and one I am well familiar with because I used to hear it all the time when I was one a handful of posters not down with tanking for RNH, Yakupov etc. When some of us suggested trading one of our FOA pick for actual NHL defencemen to help out the Halls and Eberles and Petrys and yes even the Dubnyks of the team we were scoffed at. Sure looks like we were right in hingdsight. Imagine if we'd unloaded the Yakupov FOA pick for a useful NHL defenceman in his twenties. Same fans doing the same thing now. Like we needed Yamamoto at this stage in the game.

The GM is a professional NHL executive with a ****ing fiduciary duty to improve the team. He is privy to information that no one on this board has a clue about. Its not the fans duty to stay up all night scouring rosters and making calls. That burden falls to the highly paid professional whose job it is to do so.

The fact that there was an expansion draft in the offseason which saw multiple players moved around the league makes it all the more apparent that Chiarelli a) thought his defense was good enough b) realized it wasn't but was unwilling to trade any assets he cared about (including draft picks) or c) is just too lazy to put in the work required to obtain upgrades.

Sorry Chiarelli, just moving the guys you hate is no way to build a roster.
Signing another bottom pair D man wasn't going to make this team win these past 3 games. The whole team defense from top to bottom has been terrible after being almost perfect in game 1. Klefbom has been garbage, Talbot has been garbage and no one can score. Whatever fringe D man we could have got from vegas or signed in FA wasn't going to be difference in winning these past 3 games. Completely delusional to think that it is.

oobga

Tier 2 Fan
Aug 1, 2003
Just on the Eberle Topic:

Sorry if these are cut off weirdly. Not sure how to get them to show up right on the forum.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad