Confirmed with Link: Eberle for Strome: Part 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

CornKicker

Holland is wrong..except all of the good things
Feb 18, 2005
You act like the Isles are making the playoffs lol

not at all, but they are using a player that was ours as a primary scoring option while our second lines offence is on milk cartons all over alberta. my argument is very clear, we gave up secondary scoring for nothing but cap space, which we also didn't need.

Canovin

1% is the new 11.5%
Oct 27, 2010
So Eberle coming off a "Terrible year" with term left is tradeable but Eberle with less term is somehow not...?
Ebs got us Strome last year which I would say he was worth a 2nd at the time. If he stinks it again this year, and McDavid 12.5M kicks in, do we lose Nurse or Maroon because of Ebs 6M?

CornKicker

Feb 18, 2005
I'll take an avatar bet with anyone who thinks the Isles makes the playoffs given their hot start and Ebs hot streak or so called resurgence
I don't care what the islanders do at all, I care about what the oilers do
ill double back and bet my avatar as long as you want that Eberle ends this season with at least 20 more points than strome.

KeithIsActuallyBad

You thrust your pelvis, huh!
Apr 12, 2010
Calgary
Ebs got us Strome last year which I would say he was worth a 2nd at the time. If he stinks it again this year, and McDavid 12.5M kicks in, do we lose Nurse or Maroon because of Ebs 6M?
So why is he untradeable? Players with term are harder to trade than players without term.

And if Strome was the return you say no. It was a horrible trade.

CupofOil

Knob Flavored Coffey
Aug 20, 2009
NYC
So why is he untradeable? Players with term are harder to trade than players without term.

I don't think Chia cared who he got in return as long as it wasn't a big contract. It was a cap dump, too many people are fixated on Eberle vs. Strome when that wasn't the primary reason for the trade.

CornKicker

Feb 18, 2005
Cap space allows a team to add actual players and perhaps actual players who fill a more important need. I don't see why cap flexibility is being shrugged off as nothing. This wasn't a trade made because Chia thinks Strome is a better player than Eberle or at least I hope not or we're in big trouble. It was made for the reasons I mentioned several posts back.

that's the whole argument, we traded actual nhl players for nothing when we didn't have to.

Hall/Larsson I get 100% you can argue either side of it but the reality is we needed a Top paring RHD. the difference here is that we got an actual player for Hall. for eberle we got a ghost and cap space. both are invisible and do not help us now.

Canovin

1% is the new 11.5%
Oct 27, 2010
I don't care what the islanders do at all, I care about what the oilers do
ill double back and bet my avatar as long as you want that Eberle ends this season with at least 20 more points than strome.
I don't care for Ebs as his time here was up. I prefer Strome+3.5M in cap space. Now it was on Chia to make use of that 3.5m. This is a question you have to ask the Chia defenders. We could easily get Grabner for a pick. Strome and Grabner would easily cover for Ebs offense and still have cap space for another player at the deadline.

As far as Ebs putting up points. I'm not impressed. The Oilers would still be where they are.

Canovin

1% is the new 11.5%
Oct 27, 2010

What do you think his value would be if Ebs was still an Oiler and stinks it again? The best he got was Strome. Do we trade him and still retain salary?

CupofOil

Knob Flavored Coffey
Aug 20, 2009
NYC
that's the whole argument, we traded actual nhl players for nothing when we didn't have to.

Hall/Larsson I get 100% you can argue either side of it but the reality is we needed a Top paring RHD. the difference here is that we got an actual player for Hall. for eberle we got a ghost and cap space. both are invisible and do not help us now.

He wanted to protect against a potential Draisaitl offer sheet, bonus overages and have more cap flexibility to add at the deadline or at least I assume these are the reasons. It's hard to evaluate the trade until we see what he does with the extra cap flexibility this season and next. Could be a case of short term pain for long term gain.
This wasn't a pure player value trade, they rarely are in a cap league.

Reactions: McCanovin

KeithIsActuallyBad

Apr 12, 2010
Calgary
I don't think Chia cared who he got in return as long as it wasn't a big contract. It was a cap dump, too many people are fixated on Eberle vs. Strome when that wasn't the primary reason for the trade.
And if Chia used that cap space on something the trade isn't such a bad one, but the fact he didn't makes it a lot more puzzling.

KeithIsActuallyBad

Apr 12, 2010
Calgary
What do you think his value would be if Ebs was still an Oiler and stinks it again? The best he got was Strome. Do we trade him and still retain salary?
Trade him for a pick or a player of less cap hit. If you really can't find a single taker for Eberle then you're not doing your job properly.

Given that he's scoring at a nice pace...

Canovin

1% is the new 11.5%
Oct 27, 2010
He wanted to protect against a potential Draisaitl offer sheet, bonus overages and have more cap flexibility to add at the deadline or at least I assume these are the reasons. It's hard to evaluate the trade until we see what he does with the extra cap flexibility this season and next. Could be a case of short term pain for long term gain.
This wasn't a pure player value trade, they rarely are in a cap league.
Well said.

Canovin

1% is the new 11.5%
Oct 27, 2010
Trade him for a pick or a player of less cap hit. If you really can't find a single taker for Eberle then you're not doing your job properly.

Given that he's scoring at a nice pace...
On the Isles. Can't apply that here. He could be stinking it up here if he was still an Oiler

Canovin

1% is the new 11.5%
Oct 27, 2010
If it makes you happy, I prefer Pulock over Strome. I also preferred Pulock over Reinhart.

McDNicks17

Jul 1, 2010
Ontario
We're over 1k posts now.

I think we've beat this to death at this point. Any more Eberle discussion can go in the Around the League thread.

CupofOil

Knob Flavored Coffey
Aug 20, 2009
NYC
Ah yes the offer sheet boogeyman. It was never going to happen.

Still need to protect against it especially with a team like Montreal having the very distinct need for a #1C, the cap space and a desperate GM looking to make a splash. I'm sure that was only a minor aspect though.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad