Confirmed with Link: Eberle for Strome: Part 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

harpoon

Dec 23, 2005
Signing another bottom pair D man wasn't going to make this team win these past 3 games. The whole team defense from top to bottom has been terrible after being almost perfect in game 1. Klefbom has been garbage, Talbot has been garbage and no one can score. Whatever fringe D man we could have got from vegas or signed in FA wasn't going to be difference in winning these past 3 games. Completely delusional to think that it is.
Rereads own post to see where 'bottom pairing' or 'fringe' defencemen were mentioned.
Finds no mention whatsoever.
Checks the dictionary to confirm meaning of 'delusional', double checks handle of guy replying with made up nonsense. Yup, that about covers it.

harpoon

Dec 23, 2005
Nobody is pining over Eberle. Where do you see that? If only people would stop misrepresenting other people's posts. The only reason this thread is still alive is that people still want to come by and post 'zero goals'.
Sorry, I guess the other reason is that Strome has been a big fat nothing so far and there are those who feel the need to point that out as well.

CantHaveTkachev

Legends
Nov 30, 2004
St. OILbert, AB
Yeah, I see you are getting the gears in another thread with posters saying 'well what defenceman would you have picked up GK?'
Such a spurious, brain dead argument, and one I am well familiar with because I used to hear it all the time when I was one a handful of posters not down with tanking for RNH, Yakupov etc. When some of us suggested trading one of our FOA pick for actual NHL defencemen to help out the Halls and Eberles and Petrys and yes even the Dubnyks of the team we were scoffed at. Sure looks like we were right in hingdsight. Imagine if we'd unloaded the Yakupov FOA pick for a useful NHL defenceman in his twenties. Same fans doing the same thing now. Like we needed Yamamoto at this stage in the game.
because that literally never happens in the NHL, and the next time it does will be the first

The GM is a professional NHL executive with a ****ing fiduciary duty to improve the team. He is privy to information that no one on this board has a clue about. Its not the fans duty to stay up all night scouring rosters and making calls. That burden falls to the highly paid professional whose job it is to do so.
question: how many 103+ point teams improved on paper from last year? answer...none
because they are good teams already relying on their core and younger players to improve

The fact that there was an expansion draft in the offseason which saw multiple players moved around the league makes it all the more apparent that Chiarelli a) thought his defense was good enough b) realized it wasn't but was unwilling to trade any assets he cared about (including draft picks) or c) is just too lazy to put in the work required to obtain upgrades.

Sorry Chiarelli, just moving the guys you hate is no way to build a roster.

he's managing the cap situation plain and simple...no way he wastes assets on a top 4 defender that only plays top 4 minutes for 30 games while Sekera heals up
that would be stupid and short-sighted

booyakasha

Oct 11, 2007
Edmonton, AB
I'll take that bet. 1 week avatar bet for ****s and gigs?
hmmm...just looked at the schedule and Oil play tomorrow against Carolina, and NYI don't play until Thursday, as do Edmonton again.
you calling my bluff huh?
wait-a-minute-did-he-really-just-do-that-meme-36912.jpg

WTF.......I'm in.

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
hmmm...just looked at the schedule and Oil play tomorrow against Carolina, and NYI don't play until Thursday, as do Edmonton again.
you calling my bluff huh?
wait-a-minute-did-he-really-just-do-that-meme-36912.jpg

WTF.......I'm in.

That means that Strome gets an extra game to get a point I guess. That said at this rate it's a one legged man in an ass kicking contest territory for both players the way that they've been struggling.

harpoon

Dec 23, 2005
because that literally never happens in the NHL, and the next time it does will be the first
You know what else never happened before? A non expansion team getting three FOAs in a row.
Most teams don't trade the FOA because they only get one every ten or fifteen years.
Oilers had the chance to flesh out the roster with something they actually needed. Good defencemen.
Instead they chose to take another small flashy winger. The last thing they needed.
Team definitely should have traded the Yakupov pick. I said so at the time and I stand by it.
The fact that Yak turned into a lazy whining prima donna is beside the point.

question: how many 103+ point teams improved on paper from last year? answer...none
because they are good teams already relying on their core and younger players to improve
You are right that its tough to improve on 103 points. But ...

First, I think the Oilers were lucky to get 103 points last year. They had career years from Maroon, Letestu, Draisaitl and Talbot. Of those the only one I'd put money on repeating is Talbot.

Second, McDavid was also godly. I expect that to continue, but don't kid yourself into thinking he isn't going to have more tough nights this season as teams design game plans to shut him down. Its going to harder for him to carry the team to victory night after night. Witness the posters (not me) already calling him out in GDTs for not shooting enough or letting punks like Dorsett distract and frustrate him.

And third, most 103 point teams have actual 'younger players' that they can reasonably expect to improve. I see Bennings and Caggiulas on the Oilers roster ... and not a whole hell of a lot of help on the farm which is why we are shoving an obviously unready Yamamoto into the lineup.
So yeah, it may be tough to improve on 103 points but the objective of a GM should be to not slide back down the hill to mediocrity.

he's managing the cap situation plain and simple...no way he wastes assets on a top 4 defender that only plays top 4 minutes for 30 games while Sekera heals up
that would be stupid and short-sighted
Why would a top four defender only play until Sekera comes back? You act like the Oilers have top four defenders coming out their ass.

The object is to win, and Chiarelli didn't give the team the best opportunity to do that by 'hoping' that Nurse and Benning would both step up. Or by 'hoping' that Jokinen and Strome were going to replace all the offense generated by Eberle and Pouliot. While simultaneously 'hoping' that Caggiula, Slepyshev and Puljujarvi were all going to grow along a nice even smooth trajectory to reliable, contributing NHLers.

Its too much 'hoping' and not enough covering his ass with contingency plans.

CantHaveTkachev

Legends
Nov 30, 2004
St. OILbert, AB
You know what else never happened before? A non expansion team getting three FOAs in a row.
Most teams don't trade the FOA because they only get one every ten or fifteen years.
Oilers had the chance to flesh out the roster with something they actually needed. Good defencemen.
Instead they chose to take another small flashy winger. The last thing they needed.
Team definitely should have traded the Yakupov pick. I said so at the time and I stand by it.
well, that's the fault of our owner from all reports...even morons like Tambo and Lowe knew we needed D but Katz vetoed them (btw, I wanted Yak as did most of the fanbase)
but we would've picked Ryan Murray or Griffin Reinhart at #1 by all reports...not exactly addressing a need lol

You are right that its tough to improve on 103 points. But ...

First, I think the Oilers were lucky to get 103 points last year. They had career years from Maroon, Letestu, Draisaitl and Talbot. Of those the only one I'd put money on repeating is Talbot.

Second, McDavid was also godly. I expect that to continue, but don't kid yourself into thinking he isn't going to have more tough nights this season as teams design game plans to shut him down. Its going to harder for him to carry the team to victory night after night. Witness the posters (not me) already calling him out in GDTs for not shooting enough or letting punks like Dorsett distract and frustrate him.

And third, most 103 point teams have actual 'younger players' that they can reasonably expect to improve. I see Bennings and Caggiulas on the Oilers roster ... and not a whole hell of a lot of help on the farm which is why we are shoving an obviously unready Yamamoto into the lineup.
So yeah, it may be tough to improve on 103 points but the objective of a GM should be to not slide back down the hill to mediocrity.

well Chia obviously didn't see it that way and neither did I...yes a few career years but also down years from Eberle, Pouliot and RNH
and yes, they were healthy all year but you can't bank on injuries and what the extent of those injuries are

Why would a top four defender only play until Sekera comes back? You act like the Oilers have top four defenders coming out their ass.
because why waste money and assets to bring in a player then have him playing 15 minutes a night
there's a thing called cap space that needs to be taken into consideration
The object is to win, and Chiarelli didn't give the team the best opportunity to do that by 'hoping' that Nurse and Benning would both step up. Or by 'hoping' that Jokinen and Strome were going to replace all the offense generated by Eberle and Pouliot. While simultaneously 'hoping' that Caggiula, Slepyshev and Puljujarvi were all going to grow along a nice even smooth trajectory to reliable, contributing NHLers.

Its too much 'hoping' and not enough covering his ass with contingency plans.

again, which 103 point team covered their ass with contingency plans? it tough to do when trying to manage a cap, contract limits and lengths

like it or not, EVERY team is banking on younger support players to aid the core...its what the NHL looks like in a cap world

Ninety7

go oil go
Jun 19, 2010
Canada
Seriously, what kind of unhealthy fixation causes a poster to make dozens and dozens of posts in the last week alone all saying exactly the same thing about a guy who doesn't even play on the team anymore.

?

:huh:

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
Lets try to give Strome more than a few games here. Its easy to be critical of the trade, or cap dump or whatever you want to consider it but there wasn't going to be much activity for Eberles contract, just unfortunate that we probably moved it at the worst possible time. Had Eberle been traded a year ago along with Hall (not saying in the same deal) we probably get a better return. There was always the "big game" card with Eberle and the thought he could elevate his game. That card was dealt when he struggled in the playoffs.

The schedule is really hurting the whole Oilers club and especially the newcomers. Not only do they have to learn to play with a new club but they got hardly any games to get rolling, all the opponents faced are playing more games and sharper. This will kind of even out at around 10-20 games and we know more what we got. So far the season has looked like a club practicing only vs NHL clubs that have been playing a steady diet of regular season games. Its hard to get rolling, for anybody under these scheduling conditions.

Almost any player would rather play a lot of games early to get going. Teams like having this much rest time at the END of seasons.

Reactions: SomeDudeOTI
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad