Status
Not open for further replies.

The Nuge

Some say…
Jan 26, 2011
British Columbia
Continue

Wha?

Letestu didn't replace him on the left half-boards and lead the team in power play goals(and outscore Eberle by 11 power play goals) over the course of the season and playoffs?

Do you think it was just a coincidence that McLellan/Woodcroft "reduced his time" to the second unit?

Meh, I won't miss him at all. On the one hand, I give him credit for not being a complete defensive liability last season, but he was making too much for what he brings.

He and Schultz were the 2 most frustrating Oilers I've ever watched due to their half-arsed, lacksadaisical play.

I have watched most of Oilers playoff games from YT during summer months and what really catches my eyes is that Eberle and Pouliot both had big problems cashing chances near the net. Both were hesitant to go there and if they did, they didn't find the puck, made poor effort to shoot or were just pushed off from the area. Those kind of plays easily give impression that these players aren't giving 100 % for the team. When playoff series are on the line and some guys just can't put puck into the net from 5 feet, it ignites GMs actions. We had problems getting to the net and if you watch highlights of Strome and Jokinen, they are like opposites of Eberle&Pouliot in that regard.
Strome had steep price but I think he brings some of the things that we really lacked last season.

Hyperbole is a problem with the other side of the argument? Yet you provide support of someone with ... hyperbole. :handclap:

The one thing I wont miss is him floating 5 feet from the boards in the defensive zone when the puck gets ringed around then never gets out because he was never in position, and even if he was he couldnt win a puck battle 95% of the time.

The "improved defensive play" stuff just doesnt fly with me, he spent most of the year playing with superior defensive awareness players and looked better by association.

I'm rooting for Strome but those are some grandiose expectations. Eberle is a far better player than people are giving him credit for.

Dollars and cents pushed him off of this team.

^and Chia's lack of love for the Old Boys Club players!

That seems like a pretty solid motivation given the OBC's historic futility.

Draisaitl, Klefbom and Nurse are gone if that's the case.

well he signed Klefbom, I'm feeling good about that

well then, ....it kinda blows the whole idea of "Chia's lack of love for the Old Boys Club players" out the water.

What specifically are you referring to...show your work.

McTrashBoat

Show me the deed
Nov 28, 2014
@booyakasha

I'd say he simply doesn't have lingering loyalties to any of them that stand in the way of making the team better

But there's only a handful of guys left that Chia himself didn't bring in

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
@McDnicks17

If Letestu wasnt a centre he never would have gotten the opportunity on the PP. McLellan favors diversity.
Care to detail who else lost PP time this season? You do realize it wasnt just your favorite whipping boy...right?

nabob

Big Daddy Kane
Aug 3, 2005
HF boards
@McDnicks17

If Letestu wasnt a centre he never would have gotten the opportunity on the PP. McLellan favors diversity.
Care to detail who else lost PP time this season? You do realize it wasnt just your favorite whipping boy...right?

Fact remains that Letestu filled Eberle's spot as being the RHS trigger man on the top PP unit. Had nothing to do with him be a center.

Where does McLellan say he wanted 3 centers on the top PP unit?

McDNicks17

Jul 1, 2010
Ontario
@McDnicks17

I really have to question your sincerity in this argument if you actually think that's the case.

belair

Jay Woodcroft Unemployment Stance
Apr 9, 2010
Canada
The PP snag was all about being an effective onetime option. If Eberle's shot was on last season he probably would've potted another 10 goals for us.

That being said, if that were the case, he'd still probably be an Islander.

Deplorable Lenny

Mar 2, 2017
British Columbia
@McDnicks17

There is no way you could possibly know that and you go around saying it like its fact.

Letestu is a smart player who is like a Swiss army knife. Chia said so when he signed him. He was likely going to get PP time in training camp and practices as I would imagine almost all players at least get looked at internally so they know who they can use in a pinch.

He probably had chemistry with certain guys and earned a shot as the RHS on that line. He then earned his spot permanently because he had good results and produced well. The fact that he is good at face-offs is just a bonus and happy coincidence.

Of course that is just my guess as well as neither of us could possibly know for sure.

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
I really have to question your sincerity in this argument if you actually think that's the case.

When you use overt hyperbole (like you did) to make a point...do you consider that sincere?

Look I get that its the in thing to bash an outgoing player but at least represent that position with a little sincerity and do some research.

I am not suggesting that Eberle shouldnt have to own his part in his lost TOI. Not at all....he had an off year.

Nothing personal...its just tiring to read the same unsupportable nonsense over and over again.

Last edited:

nabob

Big Daddy Kane
Aug 3, 2005
HF boards
When you use overt hyperbole (like you did) to make a point...do you consider that sincere?

Look I get that its the in thing to bash an outgoing player but at least represent that position with a little sincerity and do some research.

I am not suggesting that Eberle shouldnt have to own his part in his lost TOI. Not at all....he had an off year.

Nothing personal...its just tiring to read the same unsupportable nonsense over and over again.

That is funny because your statement that he replied to was overtly ignorant to the fact that Letestu got the PP time because he is a RHS and nothing to do with him being a center. He kept the job because he out performed Eberle. Its very simple.

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
That is funny because your statement that he replied to was overtly ignorant to the fact that Letestu got the PP time because he is a RHS and nothing to do with him being a center. He kept the job because he out performed Eberle. Its very simple.

Thats your perception and thats fine....doesnt make it fact.

I recall interviews with McLellan explaining why Letestu was on the PP. Being a right shot centre was part of the reason.

I am just challenging this false notion that Eberle 'fell off of a cliff' essentially projecting his value moving forward.
His points were reduced because of less ice time especially on the PP. Its completely explainable.

PatrikOverAuston

Laine > Matthews
Jun 22, 2016
Winnipeg
His points were reduced because of less ice time especially on the PP. Its completely explainable.

Otherwise known as holding a player accountable for their poor play. Eberle thrived in the dark days because we had no one else; now that he is expected to play a complete game and fight for possession every shift, he's a detriment. That's the explanation, yet you refuse to accept it for whatever reason. :dunno:

bobbythebrain

Jul 30, 2016
Otherwise known as holding a player accountable for their poor play. Eberle thrived in the dark days because we had no one else; now that he is expected to play a complete game and fight for possession every shift, he's a detriment. That's the explanation, yet you refuse to accept it for whatever reason. :dunno:

You do realize had Ebs sustained a normal shooting % he would have had 60+ points and most likely been on the 1st pp?

Having a low shooting % does not equate not trying, especially when most of his shots came from high scoring chances

What do you mean a complete game? He was much improved defensively this year. A low shooting % has nothing to do with what you are suggesting

Reactions: Dorian2

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004

Thats your take on things. There is little to no evidence for you to state this as fact but this is apparently what you want to believe.

Thats fine....my point was stating some actual realities about Eberles game this season (minutes played...low sh%...etc).

Last edited:

PatrikOverAuston

Laine > Matthews
Jun 22, 2016
Winnipeg
Thats your take on things. There is little to no evidence for you to state this as fact but this is apparently what you want to believe.

Thats fine....my point was stating some actual realities about Eberles game this season (minutes played...low sh%...etc).

"He was horrible and was rightfully demoted, but because there is not a 100-page manifesto from TMac on the subject, I refuse to believe it."

That's what you're doing right now. If you're that big of a fan, good news: you can enjoy watching him do ice ballet on Long Island. The rest of us will cheer on a team that has improved thanks to his subtraction.

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
"He was horrible and was rightfully demoted, but because there is not a 100-page manifesto from TMac on the subject, I refuse to believe it."

That's what you're doing right now. If you're that big of a fan, good news: you can enjoy watching him do ice ballet on Long Island. The rest of us will cheer on a team that has improved thanks to his subtraction.

Right. So you create an endpoint ( Eberle thrived in the dark days because we had no one else; now that he is expected to play a complete game and fight for possession every shift, he's a detriment) which is totally subjective and then go on to criticize me for challenging it.

Then you go one step further...you then misrepresent my position and argue against that.
Classic strawman.

Talk about disingenuous. :shakehead

How about sticking to the facts?

bobbythebrain

Jul 30, 2016

The Oilers had 108 points and he was 3rd on the team in scoring. Unless the they have a better season this statement makes no sense

Deplorable Lenny

Mar 2, 2017
British Columbia

I recall interviews with McLellan explaining why Letestu was on the PP. Being a right shot centre was part of the reason.

I am just challenging this false notion that Eberle 'fell off of a cliff' essentially projecting his value moving forward.

His points were reduced because he forgot how to drive to the net and thats how you have to score in todays NHL.

If obstruction was called the way it was supposed to he would be a lot more effective. Maybe playing in the East will help him but I doubt it.

NeutralFan88

Jun 23, 2017
You can't discount his points last season, but I won't miss him at all. After watching him in the playoffs, you could see he was not going to compliment/help this team to winning anything in the playoffs.

I really fell he won't be missed on this team.

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
His points were reduced because he forgot how to drive to the net and thats how you have to score in todays NHL.

If obstruction was called the way it was supposed to he would be a lot more effective. Maybe playing in the East will help him but I doubt it.

I stated earlier that confidence was a major part of why Eberle's game suffered last season. I think playing on a new team in the East will help his game. I think the reset will help the most.
I see him being very focused and motivated player this coming season and I see him as a 0.7+ ppg player once again.

Dont conflate this prediction with me being a fanboy of this player. I just think he needed a change of scenery and a reset.

McDNicks17

Jul 1, 2010
Ontario

That doesn't seem to be the case.

He saw a significant drop in P/60, EVP/60 and PPP/60 in the last couple of seasons compared to the seasons prior.

2010-2015:
P/60: 2.58
EVP/60: 2.20
PPP/60: 4.77

2015-2017:
P/60: 2.15
EVP/60: 1.85
PPP/60: 4.00

I would consider that falling off a cliff when you're talking about a player who almost strictly brings value in the form of offense.

As for the projecting value moving forward part, I didn't say he would never regain some of his form. My point was we're talking about a player who has been less than spectacular for the last ~160 games. Can you really risk waiting on him to do that at $6M?

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
That doesn't seem to be the case.

He saw a significant drop in P/60, EVP/60 and PPP/60 in the last couple of seasons compared to the seasons prior.

2010-2015:
P/60: 2.58
EVP/60: 2.20
PPP/60: 4.77

2015-2017:
P/60: 2.15
EVP/60: 1.85
PPP/60: 4.00

I would consider that falling off a cliff when you're talking about a player who almost strictly brings value in the form of offense.

As for the projecting value moving forward part, I didn't say he would never regain some of his form. My point was we're talking about a player who has been less than spectacular for the last ~160 games. Can you really risk waiting on him to do that at $6M?

Again....there is a direct correlation between TOI and PPG. Its been covered already.

As for the price tag...thats where we agree.
The difference is that unlike a lot of posters on here I dont blame the player for the contract. I also dont think that he absolutely shouldnt have been traded. My issue was with the return.
Strome has issues...bigger issues than Eberle. The ONLY saving grace for me is the cap savings.

McDNicks17

Jul 1, 2010
Ontario
Again....there is a direct correlation between TOI and PPG. Its been covered already.

Those numbers are per 60 minutes.

As for the price tag...thats where we agree.
The difference is that unlike a lot of posters on here I dont blame the player for the contract. I also dont think that he absolutely shouldnt have been traded. My issue was with the return.
Strome has issues...bigger issues than Eberle. The ONLY saving grace for me is the cap savings.

Unfortunately, with that contract, I think the best Chia was going to do was cap savings.

Deplorable Lenny

Mar 2, 2017
British Columbia
I stated earlier that confidence was a major part of why Eberle's game suffered last season. I think playing on a new team in the East will help his game. I think the reset will help the most.
I see him being very focused and motivated player this coming season and I see him as a 0.7+ ppg player once again.

Dont conflate this prediction with me being a fanboy of this player. I just think he needed a change of scenery and a reset.

If he plays all season on Tavares line I could see him getting 0.7 PPG. I don't think thats an unreasonable prediction. Just as I wouldn't be surprised if Strome scored about the same playing with McDavid or Drai. Hopefully the trade helps both players bounce back.

Those numbers are per 60 minutes.

Unfortunately, with that contract, I think the best Chia was going to do was cap savings.

I still have hope that Strome can match what Eberle scored last year. I see him being rejuvenated. The cap space is nice but I wouldn't be surprised to see him score 50 playing in the top 6. He already did in a top 6 not as good as what he could be playing with this year if he can build some chemistry.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad