Eastside Hockey Manager - Part VI

Status
Not open for further replies.

Albatros

Aug 19, 2017
Ostsee
That's correct, and even 4 GB needs a 64-bit operating system. I have 8 GB of RAM and SSD, but only a 1.2 GHz processor, the game is playable with all leagues selected and takes about 10 seconds to sim to the next day. GPU load seems to be a factor too though.

Reactions: Smirnov2Chistov

Darkauron

Jul 14, 2011
South Jersey
CPU and a better hard drive are the most important things to the game running well imo. A crappy CPU wont help with all of the calculations and simulations going on in the game...which is what the main function of a CPU is anyway..

Reactions: Smirnov2Chistov
Jan 21, 2011
Massachusetts
I'm not sure memory/RAM is all that important. EHM does not use all that much RAM (I think it's about 150-300 mb RAM in general). In any event, I'm not sure if the game could actually access more than 4GB of RAM seeing as it is a 32-bit application. Upgrading CPU and SSD have given me significant performances boosts (having run the game on four or five different laptops over the past 11 years).

CPU and a better hard drive are the most important things to the game running well imo. A crappy CPU wont help with all of the calculations and simulations going on in the game...which is what the main function of a CPU is anyway..

SSD will greatly help as well. Putting one of those in an old laptop will work wonders, even if its dual-core with low RAM.

Thanks for all the input guys! So basically, I should invest into something at least newer with a lot of CPU and RAM?

xECK29x

Sponsor
Jul 19, 2006
Deer Park, NY
Thanks for all the input guys! So basically, I should invest into something at least newer with a lot of CPU and RAM?

CPU cores (quad core or better) + SSD for text based simulations like EHM, it doesn't use a lot of RAM, have it running a sim now and it's using ~300mb. But for Windows 10 in general I'd recommend anything having at least 8GB for minimal multi-tasking.

Reactions: Darkauron

archibalduk

EHM The Blue Line
Oct 29, 2005
England

No, CPU and SSD hard drive. Your RAM will be fine so long as you have around 6-8GB. I used to run the game on 6GB on Windows 10 (64-bit of course) and there was plenty of spare RAM available.

CPU cores (quad core or better) + SSD for text based simulations like EHM, it doesn't use a lot of RAM, have it running a sim now and it's using ~300mb. But for Windows 10 in general I'd recommend anything having at least 8GB for minimal multi-tasking.

No I don't think cores will make much difference. I tested this out a number of years ago and found that when running the game, the CPU will drop the number of cores in use and instead run at max Turbo Boost (Intel, that is). It seems to be more about clock speed than cores. Granted, my tests were with EHM 2007 but nothing in the EHM 1 changelists suggest that there is anything related to multi-threaded processing.

Darkauron

Jul 14, 2011
South Jersey
No, CPU and SSD hard drive. Your RAM will be fine so long as you have around 6-8GB. I used to run the game on 6GB on Windows 10 (64-bit of course) and there was plenty of spare RAM available.

No I don't think cores will make much difference. I tested this out a number of years ago and found that when running the game, the CPU will drop the number of cores in use and instead run at max Turbo Boost (Intel, that is). It seems to be more about clock speed than cores. Granted, my tests were with EHM 2007 but nothing in the EHM 1 changelists suggest that there is anything related to multi-threaded processing.

Yeah I am pretty sure multiple cores doesnt matter as EHM is not a multi-core optimized, so yeah something with a higher clock speed is better than one with more cores but lower clock speed for sure. If it did one day support multi-threading...oh boy that would be amazing for sim speeds.

xECK29x

Sponsor
Jul 19, 2006
Deer Park, NY
Yeah I am pretty sure multiple cores doesnt matter as EHM is not a multi-core optimized, so yeah something with a higher clock speed is better than one with more cores but lower clock speed for sure. If it did one day support multi-threading...oh boy that would be amazing for sim speeds.

True EHM probably isn't multi-threaded so single core clock speed and caching will help, but if he is buying a new laptop get as much cores a possible for Windows.

Konnan511

#RetireHronek17
Sponsor
Jul 29, 2008
Sarasota, FL
Took me 8 seasons to finally turn my team into a consistent winner. Now I'm getting this at the trade deadline in 2026. Once I hit ok, the game thinks for a second and then crashes:

xECK29x

Sponsor
Jul 19, 2006
Deer Park, NY
Took me 8 seasons to finally turn my team into a consistent winner. Now I'm getting this at the trade deadline in 2026. Once I hit ok, the game thinks for a second and then crashes:

Ouch, that looks like a league structure issue. Please don't tell me it was with my DB, if I find another bug with it I might just set my computer on fire.

Treb

Global Flanderator
May 31, 2011
Montreal
Sometimes the AI really test me...

With 36 teams DB in 2020:
Would accept easily Drouin [email protected] for rights to Nolan Patrick rights
Would refuse RNH 1@6
Would accept Phillip Danault [email protected]
Patrick is asking for [email protected]
I made myself refuse the Danault deal but damn that would have been a steal :laugh:

Their other Cs are Couturier, Rask, Eakin, Laughton, Frost.

Was able to sign Shestyorkin and Sorokin (1b-2 goalie at worst), Patrick (1b-2a at worst) and Jake Debrusk (middle 6 winger at worst) too easily. Re-loaded the game to be fair.

Last edited:

Bieronymus Trotz

Sep 4, 2017
I'm entering season 2 in my first real game with NHL36. My Kansas City Scouts edged out Detroit by a point for the worst record in the league in 2017-18, and actually won the draft lottery. I wanted to draft Svechnikov, so I traded the pick for Montreal's 2nd overall...and a big haul of other picks, including a couple of future first-rounders. (Trading down is pretty overpowered, and trading up extremely difficult.) The Canadiens then proceeded to pick Svechnikov...so I was left with Dahlin as an incredible consolation prize.

I signed a few solid free agents in the summer and brought Dahlin over. I signed Madison Bowey to an offer sheet from the Capitals, stupidly without checking what picks would go as compensation if I got him (a little over $3M/yr)...so I lost my 2019 first- and third-rounders for a player totally not worth the cost. More than fair in the scheme of things, though, considering the draft deal with Montreal and the fact that most of the UFAs I signed shouldn't have been UFAs in the first place.

Here's the lineup. The forwards are very underwhelming, but I think the team could challenge for a playoff spot if the goalies play decently.

Vladimir Tkachyov (UFA, year 1) - Paul Stastny (UFA, year 2) - Tom Wilson (UFA, year 2)
Patrick Maroon (UFA, year 2) - Colton Sissons - Ryan Hartman
Melker Karlsson (waivers) - Zach Aston-Reese - Devante Smith-Pelley
Warren Foegele - Steffan Matteau (waivers) - Tyler Sheehy (FA from University of Minnesota)
Milan Michalek (UFA, year 1)

Jay Bouwmeester - Jacob Trouba (UFA, year 2)
Christian Djoos - Rasmus Dahlin
Ryan Murray (UFA, year 2) - Madison Bowey
Dan Hamhuis (UFA, camp try-out in year 2)

Antti Raanta (UFA, year 2)
Jonathan Bernier (UFA, year 2)

Top prospects:
Dahlin
Dominik Bokk
Jacob Olofsson
Jacob Ragnarsson
Ty Dellandrea
Milos Roman
Jay O'Brien
Alexis Gravel
Lukas Dostal

Bieronymus Trotz

Sep 4, 2017
I'm entering season 2 in my first real game with NHL36. ...

We won the Cup lol.

The Scouts were a bubble team early in the season and steadily improved, ultimately finishing with 99 points (second-most in the conference). They beat the Avalanche (7th), Coyotes (5th) and Jets (1st) to make the finals, and then topped the Lightning 4-2 (with three OT wins). Sissons scored the series-winner in OT after being scratched for the previous couple of games.

The team was struggling early on, and I traded away Aston-Reese and Foegele. I signed Leo Komarov and bumped Michalek into the lineup full-time. Raanta eventually grabbed the starter's job for good, and I traded Bernier to Detroit for Linden Vey and a third-rounder in January to give the team some offensive help (I tried hard to get Trochek from Florida but couldn't seem to add enough for them to bite). Tweaking the D pairings, with Dahlin bumped up to essentially the #1 role, also seemed to give the team a boost.

This lineup somehow won the Cup:

Tkachyov - Stastny - Wilson
Maroon - Vey - Hartman
Michalek - Sissons - Smith-Pelley
Komarov/Karlsson - Matteau - Sheehy

Dahlin - Bouwmeester
Djoos - Trouba
Hamhuis - Bowey
Murray

Raanta
Vehvilainen (Finnish 21-year-old drafted in the 7th round who was dominating the AHL but kind of sucks in the NHL)

BKarchitect

Oct 12, 2017
Kansas City, MO
Congrats - that may be the most un-impressive Stanley Cup winning line-up ever! I mean Dahlin and Trouba is a great defensive core and Raanta is good enough to steal games but you must have performed a minor miracle with the level of the forward group. Nice job!

Reactions: Bieronymus Trotz

alko

Oct 20, 2004
Slovakia
www.slovakhockey.sk
Have this error:

898927990eea19704c9b96d6b842ee55693c63047aebc5f8e9166dfb8722ad08023951c1.jpg

Any idea, what could it be? Posted in also on EHM official forum, also with saved game, but there is zero activity.
I will be very sad, if i should stop to play this long running game.

Bieronymus Trotz

Sep 4, 2017
Congrats - that may be the most un-impressive Stanley Cup winning line-up ever! I mean Dahlin and Trouba is a great defensive core and Raanta is good enough to steal games but you must have performed a minor miracle with the level of the forward group. Nice job!
Thanks, but I think it was more of a fluke than anything. Vey and Sissons are better than you'd think, Tkachyov had a point-per-game season, and Wilson and Hartman are both very productive/solid all-around at even strength. Michalek is also mysteriously good...his attributes all suck, but he always posts a great AvR and produces some offense. The defense definitely carried the team though...Djoos sucked in the regular season but suddenly went nuts in the playoffs and helped drive the team offensively. The team also seemed to get hot at the right time...just lucky overall.

xECK29x

Sponsor
Jul 19, 2006
Deer Park, NY
Have this error:

898927990eea19704c9b96d6b842ee55693c63047aebc5f8e9166dfb8722ad08023951c1.jpg

Any idea, what could it be? Posted in also on EHM official forum, also with saved game, but there is zero activity.
I will be very sad, if i should stop to play this long running game.

Damn, 100 years, I would expect there would be bugs after that long of a period, could be the database becoming too large or something to that effect. Not sure exactly what that error means but it sounds pretty catastrophic, do you have previous saves that you can try to sim through it?

Darkauron

Jul 14, 2011
South Jersey
Yeah that game does that normally after like a hundred years or so. Not much you can do about it really, gets more unstable the longer you go

alko

Oct 20, 2004
Slovakia
www.slovakhockey.sk
Damn, 100 years, I would expect there would be bugs after that long of a period, could be the database becoming too large or something to that effect. Not sure exactly what that error means but it sounds pretty catastrophic, do you have previous saves that you can try to sim through it?

I always have 3 saved files. So i had the opportunity to go back some time. And i did it. But the issue jump always up. Its only the question when.
That is very sad. Maybe its time for a off-season. And then to try FHM.

Yeah that game does that normally after like a hundred years or so. Not much you can do about it really, gets more unstable the longer you go
In the older version of EHM i had never such problems. Did a game with about 250 seasons. Without any error.

Im also disappointed, that nobody from Sigames (Riz) gives there any hint. Or at least some reaction. There are many open topics, but there arent any responses.

xECK29x

Sponsor
Jul 19, 2006
Deer Park, NY
I always have 3 saved files. So i had the opportunity to go back some time. And i did it. But the issue jump always up. Its only the question when.
That is very sad. Maybe its time for a off-season. And then to try FHM.

In the older version of EHM i had never such problems. Did a game with about 250 seasons. Without any error.

Im also disappointed, that nobody from Sigames (Riz) gives there any hint. Or at least some reaction. There are many open topics, but there arent any responses.

I want to like FHM but the lack of customization really bothers me and I feel the coaching engine while pretty in-depth makes a lot of bonehead moves if you don't manually set your rosters. It also forces players into pretty unrealistic roles. I do question weather EHM is really still under active development, I believe Riz posts here from time to time, hopefully he can provide some updates on 1.5.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad