E3 2016 Discussion + Press Conferences - June 14th - 16th

aleshemsky83

Apr 8, 2008
Nintendo has been using simplified textures for a while now, it works because they know how to make it work. Games like Super Mario Galaxy still looks amazing on dolphin with the resolution boost for that reason.

Nuckles

_________
Apr 27, 2010
heck
Nintendo has been using simplified textures for a while now, it works because they know how to make it work. Games like Super Mario Galaxy still looks amazing on dolphin with the resolution boost for that reason.

They're going for the bright and colorful animated look of Wind Waker.

I also think they're limited with the WiiU hardware. If it was an NX exclusive I'm sure they could easily make it look fancier, but everyone knows that the WiiU is underpowered compared to the PS4 and Xbox One.

RandV

It's a wolf v2.0
Jul 29, 2003
Vancouver
Visit site
I'm a massive Zelda fan but that trailer is very underwhelming. Graphics are unimpressive to say the least and the world looks empty.

Not sure what you're expecting graphically out of a Nintendo game, but the empty world is an intentional design choice. Just look at the title, "Breath of the Wild", with a decrepit master sword sticking through the Z.

Seems like this time Hyrule(?) is going to be a wild & untamed land, going by the Legend of Zelda timeline probably fitting in somewhere after Windwaker with the water levels receded. Look at a game like Shadow of the Colossus, that sort of 'emptiness' can be quite endearing.

Personally when I played SotC I always thought it would be a great direction to bring a Zelda game. I mean there you already have the horse/sword/bow, you just need to add into the world secret powerups & items to find, and put a dungeon in front of the bosses.

JA

Cheesy ending to the God of War demo.

"A new beginning."

Something simple like "the world" would have been a better choice of words.

JA

EA Vancouver and Capcom Vancouver are very close to one another -- less than five minutes by car. Most people don't see the building with the big "CAPCOM" logo on it because there's a famous McDonald's location in front of it.

Last edited by a moderator:

Emperoreddy

Show Me What You Got!
Apr 13, 2010
New Jersey, Exit 16E
Not sure what you're expecting graphically out of a Nintendo game, but the empty world is an intentional design choice. Just look at the title, "Breath of the Wild", with a decrepit master sword sticking through the Z.

Seems like this time Hyrule(?) is going to be a wild & untamed land, going by the Legend of Zelda timeline probably fitting in somewhere after Windwaker with the water levels receded. Look at a game like Shadow of the Colossus, that sort of 'emptiness' can be quite endearing.

Personally when I played SotC I always thought it would be a great direction to bring a Zelda game. I mean there you already have the horse/sword/bow, you just need to add into the world secret powerups & items to find, and put a dungeon in front of the bosses.

Exactly but it isn't actually empty either. While yes there are almost no civilization from what we can see. There is tons of things to interact with. Lots of enemies. Puzzles, those smaller shrine dungeons, places to explore, etc.

This idea that you are basically alone in this world and are tasked with finding what to do and how to do it is very Zelda 1 on the NES and I like that.

karnige

Real Life FTL
Oct 18, 2006
I also think they're limited with the WiiU hardware. If it was an NX exclusive I'm sure they could easily make it look fancier, but everyone knows that the WiiU is underpowered compared to the PS4 and Xbox One.

graphics mean nothing to me. I could care less it's about gameplay. always has. no wonder Microsoft has the Scorpio coming. graphics mean everything to young gamers.

Ozamataz Buckshank

Oct 7, 2010
Massachusetts
They're going for the bright and colorful animated look of Wind Waker.

This looks nothing like Wind Waker, which is an art style that I adore. This is more like Skyward Sword with it's mottled, pastel look with very few details. I did like the way explosions looked though, very reminiscent of an animated movie.

Maybe I've just been spoiled by the Witcher 3, but when I say empty I'm also just looking for more environment detail. More trees, rocks, foliage, small woodland animals running around.

JA

This looks nothing like Wind Waker, which is an art style that I adore. This is more like Skyward Sword with it's mottled, pastel look with very few details. I did like the way explosions looked though, very reminiscent of an animated movie.

Maybe I've just been spoiled by the Witcher 3, but when I say empty I'm also just looking for more environment detail. More trees, rocks, foliage, small woodland animals running around.
I don't think it looks like Skyward Sword at all.

To be fair, though, it might be the lack of detail in the greenery. Everything in Skyward Sword seems highly textured, whereas a lot of things in the new one seem to be solidly colored in one or two tones.

Last edited by a moderator:

XX

Waiting for Ishbia
Dec 10, 2002
PHX
Just watched the demo for Days Gone. Looked awesome. Like a a juiced up TLOU.

I think they wanted that game to be a TLOU offshoot, the inspiration is obvious. Even God of War takes cues from TLOU. But for whatever reason, they didn't go all the way.

Hell, the entire Sony conference took a cue from the TLOU by showing instead of telling.

Rabid Ranger

2 is better than one
Feb 27, 2002
Murica
I think they wanted that game to be a TLOU offshoot, the inspiration is obvious. Even God of War takes cues from TLOU. But for whatever reason, they didn't go all the way.

Hell, the entire Sony conference took a cue from the TLOU by showing instead of telling.

Yeah, Days Gone seemed like a more polished/frenzied TLOU. It was pretty cool to see the main character navigating through the complex and using a variety of methods to dispatch the zombie horde that was chasing him.

Emperoreddy

Show Me What You Got!
Apr 13, 2010
New Jersey, Exit 16E
I recommend you watch it in HD.

There's no way Breath of the Wild looks like a 2007 game.

Ya that just isn't true. It looks like a high end Wii U game, but its art style makes up for a lot. 2007 is a Gamecube game, it doesn't look like that or a Wii game.

I am curious how the NX version will look. Guessing some higher end shaders and filters, maybe slightly higher texture resolutions.

aleshemsky83

Apr 8, 2008
I don't care what the game is. I would never wait in a line like this for a demo.

I once waited in line over 3 hours for one theme park ride because my brother forced me to

The ride lasted 2 minutes

We went home right after

I was traumatized, Standing in line actually gives me anxiety now

vdB

Dec 28, 2006
Toronto
Just hard to get into a game that looks like a Wii game.

I'm sure many others feel this way too.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad