E3 2016 Discussion + Press Conferences - June 14th - 16th

Do Make Say Think

& Yet & Yet
Jun 26, 2007
I'd appreciate if Nintendo stopped trying to kill the franchises i actually enjoy.

Metroid is dead basically and now old school Paper Mario is too. Color Splash looks like the same garbage Sticker Star was.

I'd say nobody wants that, but Sticker Star inexplicably sold well. No hardcores want this.

Metroid is dead because Japan never really liked it.

The Japanese market doesn't seem to care about exploration (which Metroid is all about, something FFXIII seriously lacked and Japan loved it) as much as the Western market does.

Emperoreddy

Show Me What You Got!
Apr 13, 2010
New Jersey, Exit 16E

The Japanese market doesn't seem to care about exploration (which Metroid is all about, something FFXIII seriously lacked and Japan loved it) as much as the Western market does.

Seems so. Castlevania has also vanished from the world.

And if there is a company I want to stop killing my favorite franchises its Konami.

Incomplete MGS5. Silent Hill cancelled. Castlevania abandoned.

syz

[1, 5, 6, 14]
Jul 13, 2007
Castlevania hasn't disappeared. It's a popular pachinko game, along with Metal Gear.

Konami just realized that they can make more money in gambling than they can in gaming.

SK13

non torsii subligarium
Jul 23, 2007
Edmonton

Well, for starters, it's not dead. Miyamoto gave an interview last year where he said they wanted to develop games in both the 2D and Prime formats in the Metroid series. There's a spin-off game coming to 3DS later this year.

The primary reason you aren't seeing Metroid games is because there is no developer for the series. Retro was given a choice after Donkey Kong Country Returns whether they wanted to develop a sequel to that or return to Metroid, and they chose to follow-up on their all-time best selling game.

Japan isn't so important that they could sink a franchise. If they were, Zelda games would not be the most expensive and largest scale games Nintendo develops.

irunthepeg

Board man gets paid
May 20, 2010
The Peg, Canada
Well, for starters, it's not dead. Miyamoto gave an interview last year where he said they wanted to develop games in both the 2D and Prime formats in the Metroid series. There's a spin-off game coming to 3DS later this year.

The primary reason you aren't seeing Metroid games is because there is no developer for the series. Retro was given a choice after Donkey Kong Country Returns whether they wanted to develop a sequel to that or return to Metroid, and they chose to follow-up on their all-time best selling game.

Japan isn't so important that they could sink a franchise. If they were, Zelda games would not be the most expensive and largest scale games Nintendo develops.

Oh my gosh, please! 2D side-scrolling Metroid is my favourite. Never really liked the games as 3D.

RandV

It's a wolf v2.0
Jul 29, 2003
Vancouver
Visit site
Ditto. I could never bring myself to give a damn about the Prime series, but the originals and Fusion? Oh man oh man oh man.

For me Super Metroid and Metroid Prime stand at the top. Fusion was okay, but because they had the map marker built in I found it lost that element of exploration and made it more like a platformer. I felt Metroid Prime kept tot he spirit of classic Metroid really well.

aleshemsky83

Apr 8, 2008
Metroid Prime on gamecube kind of had crappy controls when I played it -- and theres nothing that kills a game for me more than horrible controls or camera -- but I heard the Wii re-release completely fixed it and added intuitive motion controls, been meaning to try it out for a while.

vdB

Dec 28, 2006
Toronto
Metroid has a dark theme and isn't really kid friendly. The window of opportunity for that game has closed. No grown ups have a wii u.

YoSoyLalo

me reading HF
Oct 8, 2010
www.gofundme.com
Metroid Prime on gamecube kind of had crappy controls when I played it -- and theres nothing that kills a game for me more than horrible controls or camera -- but I heard the Wii re-release completely fixed it and added intuitive motion controls, been meaning to try it out for a while.

It's fantastic. Wii U has the whole trilogy available for 20$, probs the best 20 I ever spent.

And new Metroid game would be amazing, I miss the series dearly. Love all three Primes and Super Metroid, Zero Mission, Fusion...it's just a great series that still has plenty left.

Emperoreddy

Show Me What You Got!
Apr 13, 2010
New Jersey, Exit 16E

Prime controlled fine on the Cube if you used the lock on a lot. Super Metroid was a masterpiece.

RandV

It's a wolf v2.0
Jul 29, 2003
Vancouver
Visit site
Prime controlled fine on the Cube if you used the lock on a lot. Super Metroid was a masterpiece.

Yeah they got around poor analogue stick aiming by using a lock on mechanic, and handled platform jumping smoothly by angling Samus view down when you jumped. It all handled perfectly, not sure why someone would say it doesn't control well.

I've always said with Metroid though that it's biggest problem is it's a game where the original flavour works best: you want to start with nothing in a hostile alien world with a variety of environments and slowly find new tools and powerups to progress... but considering that unlike Link Samus is a consistent character they've never found a consistent way to 'reset' her for the start of the game. This becomes kind of an anchor when writing the story for the new game, Samus ended the last game this powerful, how do we knock her down to square one this time?

aleshemsky83

Apr 8, 2008
So I just revisited Metroid Prime, heres my issue with the controls

No strafing unless you're locked on. This alone is really annoying. Before dual analog controls (which I dont know why this game doesn't have) using the shoulder buttons to strafe was a thing in console fps. This game has neither. Its 8 years after goldeneye and imo even worse controls.

The lock on is very finicky, you can't be too close or too far. Just as an example to analyze the parasite queen in scan mode you have to press R, look up, and scan him and take a bunch of damage while you scan for its weak spot (you can't move)

speaking of which, you can't look up or down unless you hold R trigger and then you have to stand in the same spot. If you want to lock on to something that is above you you have to press R, look up, then press the L trigger. If you had to look up to lock on to an enemy that way, you have to let go of the R trigger or you can't strafe.

I'm not a fan of it, personally.

Last edited:

aleshemsky83

Apr 8, 2008
Metroid Prime is one of the most important and influential FPS ever developed. What are you on about?

What games did metroid prime influence exactly? I mean I'm talking about controls. Ocarina of times controls are still being cut and pasted onto countless action adventure games. I can't think of one game I've played that controls like Metroid Prime.

Anyways, I'm sure metroid primes a great game. Couldn't get into the controls (which is why I said I wanna try it out on wii).

I also really hated playing Resident Evil 4 because of the controls and thats pretty widely praised as well. I can't play any of the Resident evil games in fact because of that.

Early MGS games before the MGS 3 re-release had really horrible controls (and camera) too. Can't go back to those either.

I think I've actually mentioned that a lot on here though.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad